I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod build questions
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:19AM

Im thinking of attempting my first surf rod build over the winter. I would like to possibly use a different type of grip such as the wraps for the fore grip and rear grip. I think I saw that Wynn has grips via mudhole for this.

Would using the microwave guides a good option for the surf? Looking to make the lightest possible build.

Thinking about a 2 piece 10' MH mhx blank.

Anything I should definitely not do when building a surf blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod build questions
Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:29AM

Microwave are fantastic for Surf rods. The big microwave.
Usually on my surf rods i dont use anything on the grips except artificial leather or natural leather but my surf rods are a little different , they are bigger and split in 3 sections. Theres an article explaining how to make the leather grips on Rodmaker Magazine.
For a split grip if you want the lightest possible build i will go for a carbon grip, they are light and very resistant!
You should look at the ATX series from AT for the blank.

Hope this helps

Abraço

Date: November 20, 2019 09:31AM

Ill look into the carbon grips. I also just read up on cork tape. I think that might be the direction Ill take. I think that will probably be my lightest weight option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 10:16AM by Ken Brown 2.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2019 04:01PM

The length of your shock leader, bite leader and the knots you use to join them to your running line should influence your choice of guide openings. A half-ounce of weight savings can be a big deal for some fresh-water rods, especially leveraged weight, but strength and durability become more important when you fish the salt.

Date: November 21, 2019 09:32AM

Thanks Phil, forgot about the shock leader knots. The microwave guids are substantially smaller than a normal guide I would use. My shock leader knots do tend to be on the bigger side as well.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:37PM

Ken,
If you are looking for lightweight grips, cork tape may not be the best material = it is fairly heavy. On the flip-side, the additional butt weight might aid in beginning to balance a long, 10ft rod if that is a concern. I use cork tape covered with flocked shrink tubing for the majority of my saltwater rods because it is very comfortable, extremely durable, easy to clean (especially scales) and can be easily replaced without the need to remove guides and/or the real seat.
As for the microwave guides, I have only used one set on a light freshwater build just to experience how the system works. While it certainly does work, I still prefer Fuji KL-Hs. If Nuno endorses them for surf rods, then so be it = who could argue with him?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 21, 2019 01:43PM

It will be my first surf rod so Im looking at all possible builds. I also haven't used shrink tubing either. I figured using eva wouldn't be the best approach but I just don't know for sure. I would like to use cork grips but that could get quite expensive finding grips long enough for a surf rod. Also have not used Fuji KL-Hs either, so lots of firsts.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 06:56PM

Ken,
From your reply, I assume you will be building a spin surf rod of unknown line and lure weight. The KL-Hs I mentioned were applied to a light, freshwater rod. There may be better applicable reduction guides for your surf rod such as the Fuji RV, but hang onto your hat as they are expensive. I have only (re)built two surf rods, one spinning, the other casting and both were vintage FG Conolon rods. For the spinning rod, I used the Fuji LCs (mounted in reverse) for the reduction train simply because they have been accepted for use on surf rods and I liked the long swooping legs. Again, do not rule-out the MicroWave system if Nuno endorses them.
I am surprised Herb Canter has not replied; he must be on vacation.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 12:14AM

Ken, as Mark said without knowing the specific reel you plan to use with the line type and strength you plan to use it's impossible to give specific recommendations , if you haven't figured that out yet chime in to let us know when you do . DON'T start building it until you settle on the reel and the line type and strength because that determines how to go forward.

The MHX surf blanks in the 10 foot length is a solid choice , i can tell you from my experience that the overwhelming majority of surf fisherman will choose a spinner that weighs between 16 oz - 22.5 oz as that weight range balances exceptionally well on surf rods in the 10 to 11 foot length with typical butt lengths of between 22 inches on the short end up to 26 inches or more for some folks since surf rods are cast with the push pull method .

You must go through the motions to simulate your casting stroke to determine the best length of the butt based on where your hands naturally fall and feel most natural to you and that will also determine where to place the reel seat if you plan on using one .

Ask all questions before you start , you would be surprised by how many finish the rod and then ask questions about the build , that way doesn't work as well as asking first .

Date: November 22, 2019 08:09AM

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking more than likely I will use the Salt Striker SS 50 that I have tor the surf rod. It is a fairly beefy reel. I started to put things in my mudhole wishlist for this build, and its already over $200. I am leaning towards the microwave guides because I want a light rod that I can throw lead with all day. I don't want to use double foot guides if I can avoid it. I was thinking of the cork tape because I have seen it used on other retail surf rods and it looks cool too. I would love to get a Lami blank but they are bit pricey for something I might completely mess up.

I was thinking of at least a 20" butt length, possibly up to 28". I would have to play with the spacing before starting a build. That's another reason I am leaning away from an actual grip. I do like the thought of the carbon tubes but I have no experience there. Do they come in different ID sizes?

Date: November 22, 2019 10:12AM

You got to get organized Ken you're all over the place , things like what grips and that you now want a Lami blank instead of your MHX and whether you like the cork tape or perhaps carbon fiber grips , what inner diameter carbon tubes will fit are things that come AFTER knowing with certainty of the reel and line choices .

What will you be targeting by the way , what payloads are you planning on throwing , you want to throw lead all day but how much lead are we talking about ? Do you currently have a Salt Striker SS 50 size spinner ? I am seeing that reel weighing in at 31 ounces in weight WITHOUT line , that's a beast for a 10 foot modern graphite MHX surf blank which is going to limit your ability to throw lead all day .

You haven't specified your line choice ,type and strength ?

Hopefully other members can help you decide.

Date: November 22, 2019 10:59AM

Herb..just thoughts at this point. I dont have the $$ to do any of this yet. Thinking of the MHX because it is cheaper but if i had the dough, would go for the Lami. I do have the reel. I have smaller reels but they don't have nearly as much line capacity. I just planned on using artificials up to 8 oz jigs. I don't plan on using bait really at all.

Date: November 22, 2019 12:25PM

OK , so this is a future project , line choice appears to be mono since even smaller reels will hold hundred's of yards of suitable braid . You will need to reconsider your reel choice i'm sorry to say because unless you have superhuman strength you will not be able to cast " Lead all day" as you worded it with a spinner that weighs in at 31 ounces .

Most even consider reels in the 23 to 25 ounce range overly tiring for repeated casting , reels in the range of 15 to 18 ounces are the typical sizes for casting " Lead all day " without fatigue . Now IF you were just whipping bait and letting the rod sit in a rod holder than you can easily get away with a reel that weighs 31 ounces but that's not happening for repeated casting as it sounds like you plan to partake in.

Throwing artificial's up to 8 ounces unfortunately will require a shock leader that wraps around the spool a few times to prevent breakoff's so a few double foot guides will be the appropriate choice for beginning the reduction guide train as single foot's would not be the best choice when throwing that amount of weight with a heavier shock leader .

The Microwave surf specific system starts with a 50 size ring which is much too large for spinners with braid , it works but it's not nearly as efficient as say a 30 12 ring combination would be which the Microwave system does not offer . The Microwave surf specific model with the 50 size ring ( Can't remember the secondary ring size) would be appropriate for a reel that throws mono on a reel like the Salt Striker SS 50 , but in my view a rapid choke system works best with braid NOT mono .

Lots of decisions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 12:29PM by herb canter.

Date: November 25, 2019 07:58AM

Wow Herb..thanks for the updates. Yes definitely future project. Wife would kill me if I get the components this early to Xmas! I could use my smaller Quantum Energy PT 40 instead of the massive reel. I use this reel when I go on headboats as it MIGHT be 18 oz..I think that is pushing it. I have it setup with 30lb braid and use it on a rod with 25,20,20,12,8,8 as the guide setup for a 7' rod and works great.

I know casting from the surf is a way different proposition than what I'm used, that's why Im asking questions here :) I would like to go with the microwave guide system so maybe ill use the smaller reel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster