I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Work station question
Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 05:50AM

Moving to new digs
Limited workspace
What would be ideal width vs length to set up ?
I have at least 10 feet in length , thinking 18 inches width would work

Thanks
J d

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Work station question
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:40AM

I like my necessary tools and supplies in front of me while I'm working. 18" would not afford me the ability to work in this configuration. 24" is more "user friendly" in my situation. That being said, 18" is workable, but it limits options.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:10AM

The ideal space is 30 feet by 20 feet. Plenty of room to spread out.

If you are going to stand up, then, I suspect that you could work in a space that is 10 feet by 3 feet. If you are going to sit, then I think that you need at least 5 feet of space to move a chair around.

I do know that when I am wrapping, I want the rod to be virtually on the front edge of the rod building bench. This requires 10 inches for the wrapper and a touch of space behind it. 15 inches would work better, but as the first post suggested, 24 inches is an ideal minimum space.

Best wishes

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 05:58PM

I agree with roger , the bigger the better.

Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 03:20AM

Thank you , all good information
John d

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2019 10:34AM

When planning a shop or work space it is always good to keep in mind one key principle, you can't build them big enough.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 10:42AM

I have limited space so I got a workbench from Home Depot. It is fully assembled and has a shelf underneath. Its roughly 8' long and about 3' deep. I would love to have something at least double the size if I had more space to put it. It functions fine with my hand wrapper. It is too small to use for a power wrapper.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:10AM

Ken,
Your statement surprises me.
Why is a work bench that is 8 feet long and 3 feet deep too small for a power wrapper.

My power wrapper bed is 4 inches wide, and I use another 10 inches behind it for thread and tools etc. As I posted earlier, a 15 inch wide bench will work fine for a power wrapper, but a 24 inch deep bench is more spacious.

Having said that - when I am doing grip turning and or cork reaming, I do that work out in a separate building where I have several work benches to let me spread out.

As John and others have said - it is nice to have room to spread out.

Over the years, during my working career, I have taken quite a few time and motion work shops.

The one point that is stressed in these work shops is that for an efficient work flow, you want to handle your work as few times as possible. i.e. you want the work to come in one side of the shop - so to speak, be worked on, and then shipped out of the other side of the shop without getting in the way of other incoming or outgoing work.

Essentially the same principle as Henry Ford preached and practiced in his assembly line for his automobile production. Raw materials in one end of the factory and finished cars out the other side of the factory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 06:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:44PM

Roger...I think you misread, it is big enough for my hand wrapper. I have a lot of stuff on the bench so it is crowded that way but functions just fine.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 08:55PM

Double post, see below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 09:00PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 08:58PM

Like kitchen and other cabinets, go to de?ep and you have to over-reach, and work harder. For me 24 inches would be max.,less if seating I think, and reaching over your wrapper. Mine table top is old bifold doors joined together to make one full length top, they are a bit to wide at, I believe, 24 inches with me seating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster