I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coloring Epoxy
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 08:58PM

Has anyone tried to color epoxy?

What do you use for a color medium - dry pigment, oil based paint, water based paint, other paints, or something else?

Does any brand of epoxy take to coloring better than any others?

What is the best way to mix the epoxy and color medium?

What ratios do you use?

Does adding a color reduce the effectiveness of the epoxy?

Thanks for the info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coloring Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2019 09:35PM

Finely ground chalk works well. Put a stick in a ziplock bag and pound with a hammer. Add a little at a time to the epoxy until you get the color depth you desire.

The advantage of dry chalk over paint pigments is that you do not introduce solvents into the epoxy.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 10:22PM

Never used chalk before, but sounds interesting. However, I have used the marbling pigments you get from Mudhole, the pigment from Testor’s enamel paint and powered paint pigments you can get from most hobby shops and art supply stores. All work very well, just remember a little goes a long way. I’ve do like the powered pigments.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 12:09AM

Ed,
Very interesting subject (of which I have limited knowledge). If dry “caulk/powerders are available, I would think that is the way to go as to limiting incompatible components/chemicals being introduced and adversely affecting the properties of the base epoxy. That being said, I have been told to use an oil-based tinting agent rather than a water-based pigment when applied to epoxy. Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I am not Ralph O’quinn. Considering the options, dry may be safer than liquid.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 12:38AM

I don’t do marbling, but many have marbled rods using oil based pigments such as marbling pigments and the settled pigments from enamel paint mixed with finish epoxy. The epoxy will harden with no problems just slows the cure rate somewhat. I have also used these oil based pigments as well as the powdered pigments to even tint Permagloss, with no problems with curing. I would never paint a blank with tinted epoxy, just too heavy.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 12:45AM

you can put a little sparkle in the epoxy to change the appearance, most craft stores have little packs or jars of sparkle you can add to your mix , A few different colors .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 02:54AM

Have you tried using powder paint that is used to color lead head jigs.

Do some experimenting with the powder and appropriate quantities of the powder to get the shade that you wish. But, I expect that it would do an excellent job of coloring the epoxy.

You could use some of the sparkle colors as well to give that finish to the epoxy if you would wish.

[www.luremaking.com]

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:32AM

You can use the powder marbling pigments, they work very well and you have the advantage of having many different colors.

Abraço

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 10:36AM

Thanks to all for the info. Never thought of chalk, jig head powder, or the powder marbling pigments. Have tried dry pigments and had good results. Not so good with paint mediums. Never thought of the solvents in the paint mediums and can see how that would be a problem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:14AM

Here is a nice selection of coloring items to use in resin or epoxy:

[www.google.com]

Notice that there seems to be an excellent selection of "mica powder" selections to color the epoxy.

Take care

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2019 01:03PM

Michael's has a great little set of pigments that won't break the bank and it comes with 12 different pigment colors if you want to try out different things.

[www.michaels.com]

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 01:55PM

I have used Tester model paint. Let it sit and settle out for a few days, then pour out the as much of the thinner as you can leaving mostly pigment. Like Norman said; a little goes a long way. I have also done the sparkles but is tough keeping it consistent or even unless it is very fine. Testers have some metallic paints that already have the fine sparkles in them.

Posted by: James Roper (---.klln.qwest.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 12:35AM

TAP Plastics and Alumilite both sell a liquid dye or tint specifically for coloring epoxy resins. I have used Alumilite and it works very well.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 10:46AM

I like using the tester model paint as well. It combines well with the epoxy and gives a nice bright color. I have also used the CRB marbling pigments with the same results as testers. If you don't want the nasty smell, go with the marbling pigments.

Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:58PM

Pearl Ex powder pigment. A very very little goes a long way. Some will leave a metallic look also. Check amazon

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2019 02:00PM

The reason powder pigments are the best and more reliable than liquids is that it does not enter or interfere with the chemical reaction that occurs when epoxy cures. Epoxy does not "dry." When it cures it is a chemical reaction between the two components. I know most already know this, but probably not all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster