I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fazlite vs Alconite
Posted by: Brett Mahoney (129.252.30.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 06:21PM

What are the differences? I have used Alconite for awhile and now it seems a lot of people are using Fazlite. Between the two which is better? Are they each better in different ways? Why should I use Fazlite over Alconite?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fazlite vs Alconite
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:39PM

Brett,
Because you want to.

A different product with similar characteristics.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 08:17PM

Fazlite is a new type of hard aluminum oxide material that has hardness, thermal conductivity, and bending strength properties intermediate between Alconite and Concept O, both of which are also types of aluminum oxide. It is sort of an upgraded version of the old Hardloy guides, and this upgrade gives them the strength to be deep pressed into the new K guide frames. They are a very nice guide with a dark blue ring, and come in the new corrosion control K frames. A nice thing about them is that they are inexpensive without being ‘cheap’. They are sufficiently hard and strong enough to give years of hard use without breaking or grooving problems. They are certainly worth a try.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 10:50PM

"Between the two which is better? Are they each better in different ways? Why should I use Fazlite over Alconite"

Alconite is better

Fazlite is cheaper and comes in a blue ceramic color, if that appeals to you then that would be considered "Better" in your particular case.

If you want to keep the cost as low as possible and like the color blue than you should choose Fazlite .

I always go with the best components i can afford myself but others think differently which is the way it always is , both Fazlite and Alconite come in corrosion control frames . I myself love the regular Fuji stainless look so i never order corrosion control frames, never had a problem with any guide corroding on me as i am very careful in washing and taking care of my equipment , personal preference .

Most any ceramic is more than good enough these days .

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:32AM

What Herb said.
Faszlite is a "price point" insert.
Herb (the older one)

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 02:12PM

Alconite is better because it cost more. That's about all I can say about that so Torzite must be incredibly great. I wonder if Fuji will ever upgrade the type of stainless they are using for guide frames. You have all kinds of ring materials that really don't matter and then you have stainless frames that corrode. Their solution was to electroplate the frames with some kind of zinc compound. Higher grade stainless must be really expensive.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 04:44PM

To my understanding, the Fuji stainless corrosion control frames are not painted, coated, or plated. They have undergone certain types of chemical treatments, one of which includes an acid passivation treatment. This passivation treatment removes the the iron molecules at the surface exposing the chromium and nickel ions of the alloy which form stable oxides making the surface ‘passive’ to corrosion. This passive surface protects the underlying steel from corroding. These chemical corrosion control treatments supposedly make the frames 7X more corrosion resistant than untreated stainless steel. The Fazlite guides use exactly the same frames as used for the Alconite guides. So the only difference between the Alconite and Fazlite guides is the ring material, and both are sufficiently hard and strong enough to resist grooving and cracking. In my opinion, performance differences between Alconite and Fazlite are extremely minimal. As I mentioned above they are certainly worth a try.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 06:05PM

None of the corrosion control frames offer that sheen that regular Fuji stainless offers, the CC frames are indeed just Fuji's standard stainless with the CC treatment applied to them but that CC treatment takes that classy sheen away that i personally find attractive . As said i have never had a stainless frame corrode but others have so obviously the CC frames would appeal to them .

You can easily tell which frames are CC and which frames aren't just by looking at them , and i just like the non coated look that's all . On another note Alconite is a harder ceramic and is a smoother ceramic that takes a higher polish than Fazlite but that doesn't mean the other is inadequate. Fazlite is plenty hard and smooth enough also .

Some people will be interested in that info and some won't , i have fished Alconite and SIC equipped rods , in use i can't tell any difference but i know for a fact SIC is a much harder and smoother ceramic and just knowing that is why i choose to purchase it.

There's an old saying that applies most of the time and that is " You get what you pay for " and that applies to guide frames and ceramics also , they're NOT all created equal BUT when it comes to ceramics used for guide rings that's an area that a lot of people will continue to disagree about and they have every right to .

Nobody's going to prove anything , it's just one of those believe what you want to believe things, it's just a good thing we have so many choices .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster