I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy differences
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 04:58PM

I know all epoxy is approximately the same. But can anyone tell the the subtle differences between threadmaster and ProKote? Is there a discernible difference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy differences
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 05:15PM

Their open and cure times are different as are the time windows during which re-coating is recommended without roughing the surface of the prior coat.

As the old saying goes, and from a practical perspective., you can cover the differences with a dime.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 06:12PM

Do a forum search on epoxy finish for the last year. Should be be a lot of info.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:08PM

In my experience, ProKote is slower curing and gives a slightly softer finish than ThreadMaster. Some people, such as Billy Vivona, use a mixture of these two at a 1:1:1:1 ratio to get a curing time and finish that is intermediate between the two. Both are very good finishes either alone or combined. I like and use ThreadMaster because of the faster curing time. In addition, the ThreadMaster resin is also seems less prone to crystallize in cooler conditions.
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:38PM

Hello All.

I do the same as Billy only I use ThreadMaster & Flexcoat in equal proportions.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 10:58PM

Threadmaster regular for me also and the fast cure time is a major reason why , Threadmaster lite to me takes a lot longer to cure . I tend to stick with what i'm familiar with and what has worked well for me in the past as i don't like surprises. I believe everybody eventually finds what works for them , there is no " Be all end all " that works perfectly for everybody.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:07AM

I guess im on the opposite side. I tend to like prokote more. I like the idea of letting my rod spin for several hours, at least 12, to get the right cure of the epoxy. I don't like the idea of a fast curing time just in case it might start curing while im applying the epoxy to the rod. Everyone has their preference, that's mine :)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:23AM

When I work with finish epoxy, I use the time of 10 minutes of great use for the epoxy finish. If I don't finish a finish application in 10 minutes, I will mix another batch.

It normally takes me about 5 minutes for the application of finish to a rod. No real reason to spend any more time than that on a rod finish.

I apply finish to the butt wrap, and the guides initially with sufficient epoxy to insure that everything is completely covered and all of the wraps completely wetted out.

Then, I go back to each wrap and use gentle heat to insure that everything has flowed out and leveled nicely. At that point I will remove a touch of finish or add a touch of finish for the perfect finish and move on to the next guide or top top.

As Mr. Kirkman has said many many times. No need to brush the finish. Rather just let the turning rod pull the finish off of the brush and then move on.

But, everyone has their own techniques for doing work. Use the system and or method that works the best for you. If it takes an hour to apply finish, then go for it. You many only apply finish to one or two guides before the finish begins to set. If that is the case, just mix small batches and do the job in the time that works best for you. If it takes 15 seconds to apply finish, enjoy the short time for the jobl

The first time a job is done, takes the longest time. After the same job has been repeated too many times to count - the job takes less time. If you like to use one finish - great. If you like to use a different finish - also great.

Be safe

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 10:21PM

Ken Brown 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess im on the opposite side. I tend to like
> prokote more. I like the idea of letting my rod
> spin for several hours, at least 12, to get the
> right cure of the epoxy. I don't like the idea of
> a fast curing time just in case it might start
> curing while im applying the epoxy to the rod.
> Everyone has their preference, that's mine :)

Threadmaster doesn't cure so fast that you don't have time to work with it , i still let the rod spin overnight and sometimes longer . I wouldn't want something that cured too fast but Pro Kote is one that takes too long for me but it's a good one for sure.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 10:49AM

I may try threadmaster again as I have gotten better with applying my finish. The first time I tried it, I felt like I was working against the clock. The end result was not too good. I find that I now like to have a thinner epoxy and apply multiple coats. Using a thicker epoxy might be great for a single pass but also is easy to put on too much finish resulting in footballs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:14AM

Ken,
If you get into the position where you may be putting too much finish on a rod that may result in foot balls, simply stop rotating the rod, with the guides pointing up. Then, let the excess epoxy form a drip, and if necessary, just use a brush to dab off the drip and the excess epoxy will be gone. By keeping the guides pointed up, when the rod stops rotating, the guide eye will not fill up with epoxy.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster