I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork Composite Customer Service (Good!)
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: November 18, 2019 08:05PM

Given some of the recent threads, I just want to post a very positive customer experience I had with NFC. I ordered last week 2 of their blanks from their annual sale. They are already shipped and scheduled to arrive this week. As it should be, of course. But not only that, I emailed them today with some questions I had related to an experimental build I was planning, and unsolicited they offered to ship me for free some throw way blanks for me to practice on. That is awesome. I doubt they can do that for every request, but I sure do appreciate it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composite Customer Service (Good!)
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 09:05PM

I'm pretty positive that those surf blanks were in stock that's why you're getting them so fast , sounds like your experimental build will be taking another two piece blank and making it into a 5 piece . I know you love to do that but you should take some CCS measurements on it before cutting it into pieces that would help show differences from stock to what you end up with making it a 4 or 5 piece .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 11:04PM

looks like NFC is improving , lets give credit to there operation ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 08:48AM

Herb, correct that is the idea, if I actually do it. Still researching, and will practice on the other blanks. I plan to run CCS tests on the stock blanks, and static loads tests also, to compare with the same tests on the finished multi piece blanks. I may end up with nothing other than some experience and a little knowledge of perhaps little value. I am willing to take that risk at this point. Or I may end up with two stock blanks that I build as is. It's winter time so I have time to play around and think about it.

And yes I realize the blanks were in stock and that effected shipping times. My comments on the customer service were geared more toward their unsolicited offer to send me for free, including shipping, blanks to practice on. I appreciated that a lot.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 09:03AM

I was pleased to receive a very quick email from them after inquiring about an order and the availability of other specific blanks. Was a much better experience than most of what I have had in the past for sure.

Tom

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 12:34PM

Bob Ginther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, correct that is the idea, if I actually do
> it. Still researching, and will practice on the
> other blanks. I plan to run CCS tests on the
> stock blanks, and static loads tests also, to
> compare with the same tests on the finished multi
> piece blanks. I may end up with nothing other
> than some experience and a little knowledge of
> perhaps little value. I am willing to take that
> risk at this point. Or I may end up with two
> stock blanks that I build as is. It's winter time
> so I have time to play around and think about it.
>
>
> And yes I realize the blanks were in stock and
> that effected shipping times. My comments on the
> customer service were geared more toward their
> unsolicited offer to send me for free, including
> shipping, blanks to practice on. I appreciated
> that a lot.

Yeah, that is awesome that they will send blanks to practice on , you're a lucky guy Bob , enjoy . I am interested in the characteristics of those surf blanks so after you build them let me know your impressions and how they compare to all the other surf blanks you mentioned you already built on.

Thank you my friend.

Date: November 19, 2019 02:21PM

Herb, I will keep you posted for sure.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 03:24PM

Bob,
I am curious as to what you use for ferrules, especially with that many?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:27PM

The plan is to use tip over butt ferrules using the instructions in the RodBuilder magazine article. I will post the issue details later today. Just to be clear, I have never done this before, as stated this is an experiment.

Date: November 20, 2019 12:43PM

Bob,
I would be very interested in viewing the article on how to make tip-over-but ferrules. I cannot imagine how someone could cut a blank and make a TOB ferrule. I developed a method of making FG sleeve and spigot ferrules to be used in conjunction with each other. By utilizing the blank itself as a mold, the tapers are inherently identical. I call it CARL = Constant Arc Rod Link.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 20, 2019 12:46PM

Mark, it takes two identical blanks to make one blank with the tip over butt ferrules, given the overlap at the ferrules. I will find the article and post the info tonight. Where can I find more on the CARL process?

Date: November 21, 2019 12:52AM

Bob,
Search this site under “CARL Ferrules”. I have slightly modified the process since then, but it is quite straight forward and relatively simple while only requiring less than two hours start to finish, less per each with multiple ferrules on the same blank.
The way I understand it, the method you described is not really producing an engineered tip-over-butt ferrule but simply cutting the blank and inserting the lower section into the upper section. With as many sections as you propose using with your method, you may discover needing two or three ADDITIONAL blanks to accomplish what you are attempting. When considering the wall thickness, the slight taper and the short distance between each section, it may very well be impossible to achieve what you are attempting with only two blanks (been there, done that).

Mark Talmo

Date: November 21, 2019 07:50AM

Thanks Mark. I will research your CARL system also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster