I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap for musky pole
Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 18, 2019 06:52PM

I have seen some spiral wraps on musky poles but not sure the lengths. Can someone tell me what length of pole a spiral wrap would be good on or what power. Where could i find a good layout and guidespace for it also. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap for musky pole
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 12:01AM

What sizes/weights are you catching the most, fishing from bank or boat and lake or river or both? If boat, is it pretty high off the water? Do you fish when it is freezing and the guides have iced up before?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 12:08AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 11:38AM

I see no reason why a spiral (do a search here for simple spiral) would not work with any rod of any power. In fact this application seems perfect for a spiral. You need to select a blank before a layout can be determined, and the best layout is one which you do yourself based on the recommendations of the guide manufacturer and a stress test. The freeze question is leading to selection of guide ring sizes. The really small rings have a tendency to ice more than the larger ones. There is no need for really small guides for this application.

Date: November 19, 2019 01:48PM

I will be fishing from a boat and looking to throw up to 8 oz lures, No cold icy days for me. Going to most likely go with a Rod Geeks Musky Rod Series - MKY80HF

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 01:51PM by John Bonior.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 03:06AM

John,
I have made a bunch of Musky rods.
I had several customers that wanted their rods wrapped with a spiral guide setup.

I used the same revolver style spiral wrap that I have used with many other rods and have had no personal issue or issues from the clients.

However, for what it is worth, everyone of the Musky fishermen who used the spiral wrapped rods ended up returning them and asked that they be rewrapped with a conventional guide setup.

Several folks reported line issues with the setup and several others complained about using the spiral wrapped rod when doing the figure 8 at the boat which is a tip down method of fishing.

I didn't argue with any of the clients, because the clients are always correct. I rewrapped all of the spiral wrapped rod with a conventional casting rod and guide setup and everyone of the clients came back later with how happy they were with the rods.

Granted, this is only a small sample, but based on this response, when a client asks for a musky rod and to wrap it in a spiral guide setup, I politely refuse, but indicate that I would be happy to build the rod for them with a conventional guide setup.

I really don't know the total reason why the clients were unhappy, and I was not going to question them about their issue. They wanted a conventional guide setup and after receiving the rebuilt rods, all were happy.

Just one small sample and as I said, I really don't know exactly why they were unhappy, but it was just that they were unhappy. But, with the same guide type except in a conventional casting guide setup, the clients were happy.

So, build what you will, and build what the client wants. Happy client, happy life.

Take care

Date: November 21, 2019 01:54PM

Saw a good thread about this and yes it won’t be for trolling so maybe for now I will go with conventional. If I start to troll I might make a spiral down the road. Thanks everyone for your time in responding

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster