I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight spinning rod blanks
Posted by: Paul Bailey (31.125.26.---)
Date: November 18, 2019 05:30PM

I'm planning to build a short ultralight spinning rod circa 6ft in length to cast lures 1g (1/32oz) to 5g (1/6oz). After much research I've narrowed it down to four blanks of differing prices. Does anyone have any recommendations from using/building with any of the blanks (or manufacturers) below?

North Fork Composites - FW 602-2(IM)
[northforkcomposites.com]

MHX - S721-2-MHX
[www.fishmhx.com]

Suzuki - RXF-4LB-602 [www.rodhouse.fr]

Phenix - Mirage Ultra Light Blank
[phenixrods.com]

I've not done this before and I want to get it right as it's a major part of my 50th birthday celebrations.

Many thanks

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight spinning rod blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 05:49PM

If you want a really great ultra-light, you'll go a lot longer than 6 feet. The only justification from a performance perspective for a short ultra-light IMHO is if you are fishing very tight quarters.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2019 06:43PM

I built a UL close quarters stream trout rod on the one piece version of the North Forks blank. By far the best blank I have ever fished. I use it for spinners and and drifting worms. Unbelievably sensitive lot of backbone for an UL. Only possible problem is if your on a time frame to get the rod built. North Fork can be a little slow filling orders. Give them a call to check inventory.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 06:45PM

I have built on all of them except the Suzuki, and all are very nice. However, I personally prefer the MHX UL Blanks, they are a great buy. The Rainshadow Revelation ULs are also very nice and a good buy. I agree with Michael and prefer a longer UL rod in 6.5’ to 7’ range. When you make your rod be sure to use KR concept guides with a KL16H based reduction train.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 01:09AM

I built a 7 foot UL MHX blank and did the concept guides and love it! Caught a lot of fish on it,and everyone I have let use it tells me they love that rod.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 08:13AM

Here is a link to all the MHX Spinning Blanks that have been mentioned, in various lengths [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Shawn Weisenbeck (---.nspco.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 12:10PM

I don't have any experience with the other 3, but I have built 3 rods using the S721-2-MHX blanks for myself. They are durable, light weight, high sensitivity blanks with plenty of backbone. I suffer from RA so I like to use light weight spinning rods for bass fishing. I'm typically throwing stick baits like No 11 original rapalas with these. The casting distance with this size bait paired with light braid and a Fuji KL-H setup is impressive. I've honestly landed a 22 inch smallmouth and a channel cat caught by surprise just over 10lbs while shallow river fishing with these rods. The cat had the top half of my rod wrapped around the bow of my kayak and didn't break.

Pretty tough to be beat these at this price point and I have nothing but good things to say about MHX warranty support. Good luck.

Posted by: Shawn Weisenbeck (---.nspco.com)
Date: November 19, 2019 12:10PM

I don't have any experience with the other 3, but I have built 3 rods using the S721-2-MHX blanks for myself. They are durable, light weight, high sensitivity blanks with plenty of backbone. I suffer from RA so I like to use light weight spinning rods for bass fishing. I'm typically throwing stick baits like No 11 original rapalas with these. The casting distance with this size bait paired with light braid and a Fuji KL-H setup is impressive. I've honestly landed a 22 inch smallmouth and a channel cat caught by surprise just over 10lbs while shallow river fishing with these rods. The cat had the top half of my rod wrapped around the bow of my kayak and didn't break.

Pretty tough to be beat these at this price point and I have nothing but good things to say about MHX warranty support. Good luck.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.132.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 03:53PM

I have used North Fork 601 and 602 both nice blanks. They arrived in less than 2 weeks. Also consider Phenix Elixer the Elixer blanks have a nice fast action which I prefer. 6 feet is my go to lenght for stream trout in SE Minnesota.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 02:20PM

Not familiar with the Suzuki blanks but all the other brands are good. MHX will most likely be the better bargain. I personally use a Phenix K2 light spinning rod that I built about 3 years ago and it has held up nicely. I fly fish a lot but when gets too windy or rough I will break it out.

Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:55PM

If you are looking for a blank in 2 pieces, Suzuki will be very good.
We also have special models in one part.
I have to show off here. With a rod on a SUZUKI blank, an angler from Poland won the double world championship in June 2019 (individual and team).
Model RXF-4lb-681-PRO

[brcrods.com]

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster