I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"fog" under wraps
Posted by: Gary Michael (38.83.148.---)
Date: November 17, 2019 07:34PM

I had a friend bring his factory and some custom rods from the Outer Banks that had developed foggyness under the finish on top of the wraps. It was slightly white. We used a hair dryer to cook out the moisture. He had hauled his rods on a roof rack for 800 miles in changing wind , rain and temperature. What is the long term remedy? Some were 13 feet long, so hauling inside is out of the question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "fog" under wraps
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 17, 2019 09:31PM

Recoat the wraps making sure to cover all possible moisture entry points. Most likely at the end of the guide foot tunnel. Lightly scuff the finish with Scotch pad before refinishing. Blow any dust off. Or lightly wipe with a tacky cloth. (Some will not like the tacky cloth, but i've not had any trouble with using them)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 18, 2019 08:59AM

Gary,
The first thing to do, is to rule out the 800 mile drive in the wind and rain. After all a fishing rod spends its life in the wind and rain and spray.

As Michael, indicated, build in a dry area with dry components and insure that the guide is well covered with multiple layers of thread finish and you should be good to go.

Take care

Date: November 18, 2019 11:43AM

The 800 mile drive is significant IF there is even a minute gap. The only time I had a foggy wrap was after leaving my rods in the boat exposed to rain overnight. That was one wrap, and was fixed as above. One other rod I built for someone else had one wrap fog, and was also fixed as above.

I'm not surprised to hear that factory rods have this problem, but custom rods should be better made, yes, mine included. Regardless, the fix for both sets of rods is to seal the wraps 100%.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2019 12:20PM

The foggyness is Amine blush or bloom. It can occur during the epoxy curing or much later. As the curing agent in epoxy is hygroscopic (absorbing moisture) humidity is the primary cause, with Co2 a contributing factor.

The bloom within or below the surface is almost always during curing, the blush is on the surface, often feeling waxy. It will inhibit adhesion of additional coats of epoxy.

Blush can often appear (as in the case above, years after the epoxy is applied. In most cases this is due to prolonged exposure to high humidity (being continuously wet) .even if the wraps are completely encapsulated with the epoxy.

I have seen rods that were a few years old, stored while still wet develop the blush on the surface. In these cases, soap and water will remove it, or some times the application of heat, such as from a hair dyer.

Slow curing of the epoxy seems to make them more prone to this phenomenon, speeding the curing at higher temperatures helps.

The only structural issue is when applying subsequent coats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2019 07:57PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: November 18, 2019 01:38PM

Thanks, Phil Erickson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster