I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: science vs adspeak
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 18, 2019 05:18PM

Phil, if you've never performed any of the CCS tests ( IP, or AA) on any of the blanks you have, then how is knowing the CCS for a blank you're thinking of purchasing going to do you any good? You'd have nothing to relate them to. It would be like going to a foreign country where you don't understand the language, and buying a dictionary that is printed in the foreign language that you don't understand, and then try using it to communicate. You have no reference.

So basically, you want information from blank manufacturers that you aren't going to be able to make hide nor hair of, because you have nothing to relate it to ..........

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 18, 2019 09:43PM

Not many sane rod builders or anglers would go out and buy a new blank or a new rod so they could find the CCS values of this blank and compare them to a rod they already own and like. But rod blank manufacturers could report CCS data to consumers with every blank they produce for a penny or two a blank. Those buyers who prefer to remain ignorant of the blank's physical qualities could ignore the CCS data and throw it away before it corrupted their opinions.

Posted by: paul blair (37.120.132.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:50AM

How do you do it

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2019 08:07AM

[www.common-cents.info]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 03:29PM

Phil, why don't you start a blank testing enterprise? I think the manufacturers would beat your door down if you can do it for "a penny or two" a blank!.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (37.166.232.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 04:23PM

There's a touch of bad faith here.
When a company designs a blank, they do a whole lot of testing on it, and probably some of them (NFC does it for sure) will measure the CCS parameters (AA, ERN, CCF).
Adding that to the protocol, even if you didn't do it previously, would be negligible in the design cost. Anyone who actually did CCS tests knows it's quick and easy. And the figures would help those if us who understand them, and give incentive to others to learn what they say. That too is easy.

Admittedly there would be some variance for individual tokens of a blank model, but you have variance in length and weight too, so it's mainly irrelevant.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 05:18PM

Phil, I totally understand that it would be nice if blank manufacturers supplied CCS numbers for their blanks, but how would you know what they mean? You have no reference point.

When I first started messing with CCS I did IP tests on several factory rods I had and really liked, just so I would know what kind of CCS numbers they had. I ended up using those numbers to purchase two Pac Bay Quickline blanks to build spinning rods on. Pac Bay had CCS numbers available for the Quickline blanks. I picked the blanks that were closest in IP and AA to the factory rod I had measured. It worked out beautifully. The only surprise I got was how close to the factory rod, the Quickline blanks behaved. Pretty much a spot on match except the Quickline blanks were quite a bit more sensitive.

So even though I have trouble understanding why you want some of the information you want, (like the data that this thread started out talking about) I can understand why you think the manufacturers should supply it. After all, these manufacturers products are aftermarket. I'd love to have the CCS numbers, but you can sure know I'm going to do some testing so the numbers actually make sense to me

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:29PM

A few companies did publish the CCS values for their blanks, and they include NFC for all there blanks, PacBay only for the Quickline series, MHX for their fly rods, and Point Blank for all their blanks. This CCS data is currently only available for MHX fly rods and Point Blank at heir respective websites. A lot of this previously published CCS data has been archived and is still available.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 01:33PM

Dave: I have built out some blanks into rods I really like, only to have those blanks discontinued. If I had the CCN numbers of blanks currently on the market I could quickly find the blank I want without having to buy a load of different blanks and test each for its actual physical characteristics to find the one I want: something more informative than "smooth, fast, and soulful".

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 05:37PM

If you know the CCS of the blank you want then may be you could give it to the supplier and ask them to recommend the blanks that match those numbers.

They may accommodate you and you will get what you want,

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.coucou-networks.fr)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:30AM

There's another possibility to get useful data to compare blanks, coming from the distributor and not the maker. I work with a French company and we have a comparator applet, where you can see the shape of any blank in the catalog under 4 different loads and compare up to 4 of them. All curves are legit, vectorised from actual photographs, all taken in the exact same way.
In our community, plenty of people find it quite useful to make educated guesses about what to expect from new blanks.

I won't give the specifics because we're not sponsors here yet, but let me tell you that we're mighty proud of the gizmo, which we see as a service to the global rodbuilding community. Anyone can use it, you don't have to be a customer.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster