I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4.0 tops and Ultra-Lite rods??? Swinging fish in
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 16, 2019 08:14AM

With ultra-lite rods guys do a lot of fish swinging into the boat when fishing for panfish. I get a little uncomfortable with tip sizes less than 4.5 on these rods and try to look for 4.5 as much as possible.

Does anyone built many panfish rods with 4.0 tops and do they hold up well?

Thanks,
Marc

Re: 4.0 tops and Ultra-Lite rods??? Swinging fish in
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 16, 2019 08:56AM

Marc,
Whether folks swing fish into a boat with a rod, is generally a pretty bad idea. One never knows how big a fish actually is, until it is actually measured. One never knows what a fish might do, just as it breaks the surface of the water.

If a client purchases a rod, the person might be suggested to not use the rod to swing a fish into the boat, no matter the size of the rod, nor the size of the fish.

I will say that many years ago, I was fishing a northern lake using an ultra light commercial rod. I hooked one of the largest crappies that I have ever caught. I did exactly what you mention. I swung the fish into the boat and actually had the rod pointing vertically with the fish hanging straight down on the line when the fish flapped and the rod snapped, more or less in the middle of the rod.

We ended up keeping the fish - just for the principle of the event, and I did repair the rod, but it reminded me to ever avoid doing that in the future. Since then, by never swinging fish into a boat and never high sticking a rod, I have never had the reoccurance of a similar event. Also, I keep an eye on all of the activity that is going on in the boat and if it appears that I person is going to swing in a fish or high stick a fish, I try to insert a gentle "slow down" to the person to avoid such a similar damage event from happening. .

I have actually built quite a few walleye rods with size 4 tips and when delivering the rod, have always cautioned the folks against the use of high sticking and fish swinging by the rod.

For most of the rods of this type, I never had any issues or call backs on rod failures. However, a few years ago, I had purchased a batch of a new high end rod with a size 4 tip, and it turned out that every single one of these rods ended up breaking about a foot down from the tip. I gave the distributor a call and summarized the issue. They indicated that there was a problem in the new design and to return any non built rods and also to supply them with the number of rods already out in use. A month or so later, I received a new batch of rods that had been redesigned - still with a size 4 tip, but a difference in the blank down the rod a bit, where all of the breaks had happened. Over time, all of the rods were rebuilt and all of the clients remained happy with their purchases.

So, once in a while a product may make it to market that has an issue. Fortunately, in this case, the manufacturer stood behind the product with a newly designed blank that solved the initial issues.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.pctc.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 16, 2019 09:22AM

Thanks Roger. I do try to instruct people as best I can, but the number of "silly" things I have seen people do with rods has me looking to build a little insurance into them when possible.

I seem to meet a lot of folks that want a rod to fish nice, but really need them to hold up to the occasional "oops" as good as possible. I know - it's a tough balance.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 12:07AM

Don't haul fish with an ultralight, use a net. You will probably get away with it a few times but eventually it will break. Especially these high end HM blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2019 10:32AM

I agree with Lance, swinging fish into a boat with any UL is a disaster waiting to happen, no matter the tip size.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 22, 2019 09:59AM

The ultralights built on the dual helix, DHX, design at United Composite are tougher than most.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster