I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Testament blanks
Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 15, 2019 08:19PM

I'm curious if anyone has built on any of them yet? More specifically the TESS610MXF blank? If so, what are your impressions of it?

I am looking to build a new spinning rod to use for fishing tube jigs, shaky head jigs, and light Texas rigged soft plastics. My most recent build was on an Eternity ETES610MXF. It turned out to be an incredible rod for drop shots and other lighter and smaller baits that are fished with an open hook, but it doesn't have the power to fish the kind of baits I want to build the new rod for.

It will be replacing a rod I built on a Hydra SJ 2 power from their NG line of blanks. I like the power of the hydra blank, but I'm looking for more sensitivity, a faster tip, and less tip weight. My hopes are that the Testament blank I referenced earlier has more of a spin jig blank power curve, versus the power curve of the Eternity blank I referenced.

I built a couple rods on Pac Bay Quickline QLSJ782 blanks, and if anyone is familiar with that now defunct blank, that is the type of power curve I am looking for. Any input that you fine folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2019 08:38PM by David Baylor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Testament blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 15, 2019 09:36PM

They've only been mentioned by Batson a week a?go, may not be at the shops yet.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 15, 2019 10:37PM

I have not built on the new Rainshadow Testament blanks so I know nothing about their power and actions, or how they compare to the Eternity or Immortal series. I do know the ETES68MF had an Intrinsic power of 455 gm, so if the TESS610MXF is similar in power it might not be powerful enough for you. I also know that the Immortal blanks are more powerful than the Eternity blanks for the same power listing. So you may want to check with RainShadow to see how the Testament blanks compare in power to similar models in the Eternity and Immortal series.

You mentioned that you are looking for something with the power and action of the QLSJ782, which has an IP of 552 gm and an AA of 78. I am quite familiar with PointBlanks and one of these might work for you such as PB691MLXF (IP of 512 gm and AA of 78), PB 691MXF (IP of 602 gm an AA of 76), and PB701MLF (IP of 570 gm and AA of 77). Should be close to the power and action you are wanting. They are very light and sensitive blanks, and some of my favorites. The equi-radius butt gives the blanks a very light tip feel. The NFC HM-MB704 has an IP of 550 and an AA of about 73, and the NFC HM-MB705 has an IP of 608 gm and AA of 75. They might also be suitable for what you want.

Norm

Date: November 16, 2019 01:15PM

Spencer, the Testament blanks were mentioned by Batson on this site, probably 2 months ago. Utmost has had them listed on their web site for almost that long. Now whether or not they're available is another thing all together. James Taylor from Batson mentioned that they were more tip light than an Immortal blank of the same specs, and slightly less powerful. Anyhow ..... thanks for the response.

Norman, you got the numbers that's for sure. lol As for the Pac Bay QLSJ782 blanks I've built on. They are a lot more powerful than what I expected from a blank that was rated at 1/8 - 3/8 oz lure weights. Sadly I broke one of them due to mishandling, but the other one is still going strong. I'm looking for something with slightly more power than the QLSJ but with the same kind of power characteristics. The power characteristics were more like an extra fast action mag bass blank. I'm also considering an Immortal blank as I absolutely love every Immortal blank I've built on. But if I go with an Immortal blank, I'd be stripping off the paint. I have a specific color combo I want for my new rod, and it requires a natural graphite color.

If I go with a blank other than a Testament, it will most likely be an NFC MB736 X ray blank. I have two rods built on that blank and it is a phenomenal blank. I'm ok with the higher power as the rod I'm building is going to be predominantly used for throwing tube jigs in the 3/16 - 1/4 oz range. I didn't really consider a Point Blank because of the texture on the blank. I know the X ray blanks have a similar texture, but if I go with the X ray I will sand the entire blank. just like I did for the two rods I built on them.

Date: November 16, 2019 01:35PM

I don’t know if you have ever felt a Point Blank, they do not have as rough a texture as you think they have, the X-RAY blanks are much, much rougher.. I have both the X-ray and Point Blanks as personal rods, both are very, very nice. I just prefer the unique feel of the Point Blanks and their casting abilities, But that just me, everyone has different likes and dislikes, and they are very subjective. Good luck with your build.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 16, 2019 07:37PM

The above mentioned 691MLXF Point Blank is a peach.

Date: November 16, 2019 10:27PM

Norman, no I haven't felt a Point Blank, but I believe I am going to take a trip up to Jann's Netcraft either tomorrow or next weekend, and check them out in person. Their website shows that they have quite a few models in stock, with a few that may fit what I am looking for.

The PB691MLXF that you mentioned and that Lynn commented on is probably a little lighter in power than what I am looking for, but the PB692MXF and the PB701MLF that you mentioned will definitely get a look, as well as the PB731MXF and PB731MLF. Checking them out in person will be nice because I will be able to see how hard they'll be to sand. lol

I know I haven't felt them yet, but I know me, and my guess is that if I go with one, I'm going to want to sand it lol

BTW, I didn't mention how much I appreciate you taking the time to post all those IP and AA numbers. I greatly appreciate it.

Date: November 16, 2019 11:14PM

The last few Point Blanks I bought, were really quite smooth to the touch, and none of the Point Blanks I have handled were as rough as the X-rays. I certainly agree with you, feeling them in person is the best way to go. All the measurements, numbers and descriptions mean little until you actually hold a blank in your hand to know for sure if it’s what you want or not. Otherwise it just guessing. What I like you may not, and vice versa. I love looking around places that sell rod building stuff. Even if you don’t find exactly what you want you should have a good time trying. Good luck.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 17, 2019 11:29AM

David B.
I stand corrected, I could of sworn the actual post that there were 5 models now available and more was coming was at, or just before Halloween.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 17, 2019 05:46PM

David, I'd (we'd) like to hear what you think about the Point Blanks after you check them out

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 18, 2019 11:14AM

These are the models that are currently in stock at our warehouse:
TESCB76MH, TESC72M, TESC76MH, TESC76H, TESS610MLXF, TESS610MXF, TESS72ML

It's only been a few weeks so I doubt there'll be much in the way of testimony at this point.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: November 18, 2019 12:01PM

James - Has Rainshadow ever thought about doing CCS measurements on their blanks? I think it might be a helpful selling point to a lot of rod builders. I have used a lot of Rainshadow blanks over the years and have been very happy with them, but I still have to guess when buying new models as to what I may be getting.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 18, 2019 03:26PM

James,

What advantage is there to the testament CB blanks say over the Revalations? Am asking as I am a big fan of the Revalations (CB)

Date: November 18, 2019 04:42PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James - Has Rainshadow ever thought about doing
> CCS measurements on their blanks? I think it might
> be a helpful selling point to a lot of rod
> builders. I have used a lot of Rainshadow blanks
> over the years and have been very happy with them,
> but I still have to guess when buying new models
> as to what I may be getting.
> Norm

Truth is, there hasn’t been enough industry demand to justify the labor costs to provide CCS measurements on all the blanks – the industry as a whole seems to be on the same page as far as cost to benefits of CCS.

It is something that's been discussed but it's just not there yet.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: November 18, 2019 04:44PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James,
>
> What advantage is there to the testament CB
> blanks say over the Revalations? Am asking as I am
> a big fan of the Revalations (CB)

Most of our graphite CB models use a similar design (not counting The Judge).
Overall the most important thing with the Testament was having an affordable USA made rod blank, followed by lightness of the blank (not seen as much on the CB models as it requires a thicker wall) and no paint which is getting requested more and more. Testament has a higher modulus carbon fiber being used from butt to tip as well. You’ll probably find it to be a bit more balanced as a blank.

When the Revelation overall was designed lightness wasn’t a main criteria (important but not at the top of the list). So you will fine a thicker wall on the entire Revelation lineup, which increases durability as well, which increases the weight over the Testament.

Of course different tooling is used, same with pattern / layout and such but I’m not going to say you’re going to see a significant difference in how it throws a lure because the basic design is similar. It’s just higher end material and made in the USA.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 12:44AM

James,

Thank you very much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster