I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GetBit Outdooors Supplies
Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.155.---)
Date: November 15, 2019 09:56AM

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I have bought the aluminium foil dishes and souffle mixing cups from above mentioned vendor. Do you guys rinse or wipe them with a solvent prior to use? The reason I'm asking is because either of these items caused quite a oily contamination. Never had a contamination this bad before I've used one or two souffle cups on prior mixes but used the alu dishes for the first time last night. Just asking.

Regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GetBit Outdooors Supplies
Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.236.147.77.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 15, 2019 11:58AM

Hello,

Yes, this is normal on these items.
You always need to degrease them before pouring your finish into these dishes.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 15, 2019 02:45PM

I would clean anything I was about to mix finish in with DNA before using.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2019 03:44PM

I've never cleaned any foil cups and never had a problem. There shouldn't be anything on them to create a problem and I can't believe a vendor would sell mixing cups that need to be cleaned prior to use without stating such on the packaging.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 15, 2019 06:23PM

Now that Tom said that, I can't believe it either. I always mix in the bottom of a partially crushed (vertically) soda can and clean it to get rid of dirt and the code #s.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2019 06:32PM

I have used both for years (from other sources) and never cleaned them prior to use. After all, most are used for food portioning without cleansing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 15, 2019 07:40PM

Jerme,
I have used disposable aluminum dishes and have never cleaned them before use.

I normally use the plastic cups that are used by delis for food samples for the public.

I have never ever cleaned any of those either.

I also use 5 cent disposable brushes, so I never clean brushes either.

Prior to application, I use light tack blue painters tape to tack off the rod to insure that there is never any dust on the rod before coating.

I never ever use any solvent on anything, once I have started the rod wrapping.

Before doing anything with the blank, I will do a wipe down of the blank with DNA or equivalent, but it is normally quite a long time between the initial wipe down of the blank and the application of finish.

Take care

Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.226.---)
Date: November 16, 2019 11:12AM

Hi all, so far it's definitely the souffle cups thats contaminated, I took a new cup and pour some thinners in it and one can literally see the oily appearance inside the cup. I'll also do I test on the alu dish but at this stage I think it surely only the souffle cups. Looks like I'll have to clean almost all of the almost 100 cups that's left or chuck it away and revert to what I used before, plastic shooter cups, only downside is it only takes about 6-8ml of flexcoat at a time.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 16, 2019 12:27PM

I have never used the aluminum soufflé cups sold by GetBit, in fact I can’t seem to find them on their website. I use the aluminum mixing dishes sold by both MudHole and Anglers Workshop. [www.anglersworkshop.com]

I have never had problems using them straight out of the package. If fact, I reuse them. After mixing my epoxy in one, I use the the unused epoxy in it to let me know when it has set sufficiently enough so I can stop rotation. The next time I need to mix epoxy I just mix the new batch on top of the old batch, and do this until the dish is full. Never had a problem doing this and a package of pans will last a long,long time.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2019 02:49PM

souffle cups are made for baking thus they may have some coating for the baking process.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---)
Date: November 16, 2019 08:53PM

Not sure what happened in this case, sorry to hear of any issue. We have used the same vendor for the same product for 5 plus years and never heard of any residue. We buy these in large quantities and have not brought in new stock for at least 6 months. We have sold hundreds of packs from the current inventory and all prior inventory without issue. That being said anything can happen and we are happy to help any time. We use the dishes in house and have never needed to clean them ahead of time, they are ready to go. Please feel free to call the office any time. 4075427840. -Kevin

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster