I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8' to 10' ultralight rod blanks?
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: November 13, 2019 08:34PM

I have a friend that is looking for an ultralight rod around 8 to 10 foot. Panfish are the target species. Says he wants to cast small crankbaits and floats. Any suggestions? Some have suggested a 2 to 4 wt fly blank. Thanks as always

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8' to 10' ultralight rod blanks?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2019 09:43PM

If you can find a light or UL steelhead/salmon blank. Not a lot of options but they are out there. In the process of building one myself once it arrives. I found a closeout blank. The others I considered were the Rainshadow IST1141F. Rodgeeks has a a couple offerings C2SS106ULS2, C2SS90LM2. Northfork Customs has one light option St 1002-2 (Delta LMX).

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 02:42AM

When you want to do long distance casting with an 8 to 10 foot rod and in particular crank baits; I have found that a light action rod works much better for this task than an ultra light.

The light action rod will outcast the untra light rod by about 20-40% depending on the particular blanks in question.

Simply put, the light action rod is not so "whippy" as the ultra light rod.

10-4 on the comment about using a salmon rod for this purpose. I have several rods in this category and every one of them are blanks aimed at the salmon fishing crowd.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

For example 1141 or 1142 - depending on your needs.

Or the 1142 or the 1143 in the series posted just above.

Or the 1141 or the 1142 as needed.

Good luck

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.coucou-networks.fr)
Date: November 14, 2019 03:02AM

Like Michael already mentioned, NFC st1002 in either Delta or HM yields a great light rod. Some use it in France to fish toc-style, which is long drifting a line with just a couple of shots on it and a worm. Precise, extremely sensitive (an absolute must with this kind of fishing where all you have to detect a bite is the 'toc' (French for 'tug')). And then you've got the legendary Loomis backbone, in case you get into some monster.
So IMO that would be a great option for your friend

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 07:35AM

Agree with the DSS 1141, or 1142 option, sensitive, durable, and a good value. Lots of rods, especially kids rods built on the 1141, or 1142 still in use and the kids are grown up, the old color is a dead giveaway. The 1141 would be my choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 09:02AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 07:38AM

I just want to mention that when you are talking about very light line,
a softer, more moderate action will help protect that line if fighting a large fish.
Some years ago we built some 10' "noodle" rods for a local fisherman
who was bent on breaking the 2" record for Striper Bass.
We both learned a lot about what works under those extreme conditions.
Lots of guides, "turnover" wrap, and at that time we used Fuji SIC fly style for the runners.
So keep in mind not only casting ability, but also landing a fish.
By the way, he broke the IGFA Striped Bass record at 32# !

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 07:55AM

A 32# striper caught on 2# line? Now that is an accomplishment!

I have seen many people in Pulaski NY catch massive salmon on noodle rods. You wouldn't think it would work at first glance but they do. Probably more difficult to land with all the people in the river but fun nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 07:57AM by Ken Brown 2.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 08:58AM

The main drawback to catching big fish on light lines is the long fight kills the fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 09:07AM

Phill makes a good point, though I don't think it applies to panfish so much.

Posted by: Gary Frank Gore (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 10:18AM

[www.mudhole.com]

8' above

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 14, 2019 10:23AM

Rainshadow Revelation REVS90L-2SB 9' 2-piece, Mod-F and Light action - Designed specifically to be a Float and Fly rod - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

As mentioned above the RX7 IST1141 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
and the RX6 DSS1141-2 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 11:53AM

Mark,
I happen to have a 4 Piece CTS blank that may interest you.
One of my customers abandoned the blank a few years ago and has been in my blank-rack since then.
The label states it is a 9'0" 0.2 Oz to 0.7 Oz. But I think 0.7 Oz is much too optimistic.
I think the sweet spot would be closer to 0.25 Oz.
Will sell below cost.
Herb
U.S. Dist. CTS Rod Blanks
P.S. - he can ship back for refund if not happy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 12:36PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 12:58PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The main drawback to catching big fish on light
> lines is the long fight kills the fish.

If you're talking about mono i agree but it's a totally different situation with light braid . Today's light braids including fused super lines will land fish over 30 pounds WITHOUT having to play them out , haven't surf fished with line over 20 pounds in decades , 99% of the time i use between 10 and 14 pound braid and never had a fish i needed to play and wear out because the line was too light , now 4 and 6 pound braid you will need to play out big fish but with 10 pound and above you can apply immense pressure without fear of failure.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:14PM

Herb: True. I guess what bothers me is the bozos, no matter what kind line of line, reel, or rod they are using, play fish to death to satisfy some gruesome urge they have and then "release" the fish and brag about it.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 01:37PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb: True. I guess what bothers me is the bozos,
> no matter what kind line of line, reel, or rod
> they are using, play fish to death to satisfy some
> gruesome urge they have and then "release" the
> fish and brag about it.

Anybody who purposely chooses to use gear that they know is too light for the sole reason as to fight fish for as long as possible for their own personal enjoyment has no business fishing period imo . Responsible anglers use gear that they know can quickly and efficiently land fish , there are anglers out there that think fishing is about the fight and that is certainly unfortunate .

Two things drive me nuts , one is seeing people allowing a fish they intend to release being paraded around up and down the beach for everyone to see and keeping it out of the water much much longer than necessary and the other is seeing people leave fish on the beach to die because in their opinion it's a trash fish .

Appreciate the comments Phil , with you 100% .

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 02:59PM

Just built this for myself: Rainshadow Revelation REVS90L-2SB 9', for the sole use as a slip bobber rod for panfish, should work well for your intended purpose. The action is very similar to my favorite B'n'M bobber rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster