I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Arctos Fly Rod Reviews?
Posted by: Brian Nelson (---.56-33-221-209.pineland.net)
Date: November 12, 2019 08:57PM

I don't post very often, but I'm not a big fan of FB--and I can't find any reviews of these blanks. It seems like the forums have become "old school," which seems REALLY weird to someone my age!
I'm particularly interested in the 10' 3" 4 & 5 weights. How do they compare to MHX, Batson, (or even quickline), or other blanks? The advertising states "IM7 fast action designed for all fishing conditions." The 4 weight is listed as "Butt Dia. .41, Tip 3.5, blank weight 1.91 oz." which sounds good to me. If anyone has any first hand experience with these blanks, please let me know what you think of them. What is the action like (I know that's a relative question). Are they true to line weights, or overpowered? At under $80 these might be a very good value.
Thanks ahead of time for input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Arctos Fly Rod Reviews?
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 12, 2019 09:35PM

They were for sale earlier this week at Hook and Hackle -- 30% off. The Quickline series has been discontinued, so this is now PacBay's top blank. I have not seen or cast one but if you search this forum there seem to be positive comments. The brown blank color does not do it for me, but they are now offering Arctos
fly blanks in a graphite/black color as well.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 13, 2019 12:19AM

I fished a 4 wt. for about a half hour, nice stick, cast close in as well as far, no need to overline, works great with a 4 wt. line.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:16PM

David, thank you for responding.
I totally agree, I don't like the metallic brown either, but I saw where Hook & Hackle is offering them in matte charcoal. I didn't know that Quickline was discontinued, so thanks for letting me know.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:25PM

Thanks Spencer for letting me know it's a nice stick. I guess I've been out of the loop lately, and couldn't find much info about them.
How did it compare to other blanks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 05:44PM by Brian Nelson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 16, 2019 10:51AM

Hard to discribe rods, but if you've fished a later Dan Craft Sig V, you are in the ballpark, though the Dan's are high modulus and lighter in weight.
I think the post archives here has some information.

Date: November 17, 2019 10:06PM

Spencer,
Thank you. Haven't fished Dan Craft Sig V, but I've heard they're similar to Z-axis, and I'm familiar with them.
Thanks for your input!

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (8.14.148.---)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:08AM

I built two Arctos 10' 3" 4 wt. fly blanks when they first came out since I like long rods and my wife always needs her own rod. I think they cast a 4 wt WF line just fine but uplined to a 4.5 or 5 wt they load even better for me. They are an all round faster action rod that will throw dries, dry/dropper and indies easily. Can do Euro nymphing but just not very sensitive or light weight. They also cast micro skagit heads with tips and pretty big flies really well. Not super light weight but the blanks are straight and ferrules fit is excellent. I will miss the Quicklines.

Date: November 21, 2019 08:50PM

John,
Thanks. I'm a big fan of longer fly rods as well--which is why I wanted to learn more about them to begin with.
Thank you for your input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster