I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HVY Glasss flipping vers HVY Graphite flipping
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.csby.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 11:42AM

I am going to be building a flipping stick and want to use glass but is there any difference between a Extra Heavy one piece glass flipping stick and a one piece Extra Heavy glass casting blank it does not need to be a telescoping blank.

any other suggestions

I need both heavy and extra heavy blank suggestions

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HVY Glasss flipping vers HVY Graphite flipping
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 04:20PM

Hi Glenn,
I think the short answer would be no. Assuming the the two glass blanks had similar specs they could be used for whichever application the angler preferred. Anglers are very particular about the type of flipping stick(s) they use. The desired powers seem to be fairly consistent, but the actions folks want for flipping are all over the place in my experience. I'm curious, why do you prefer glass for your particular flipping style? As far as suggestions from our lineup, you might check out the models below. I hope this helps out.

REVFS76MH and XH (graphite option, catalog page 32)
SPG845 or GCB710's (all-e glass options, catalog page 58)
JDGCB710's (RX7/S glass hybrid option, catalog page 42)

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2019 04:34PM

Hello Glenn - Since Mud Hole Custom Tackle is located in Florida, we know all about flipping heavy vegetation. Glass blanks are going to be much heavier in the hand. A Glass rod blank can be very tiring compared to well balanced graphite rod blank. Here is a link to a very well rounded selection of some of the very best flipping blanks on the market [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 11, 2019 05:52PM

I have to agree with Bob, if ever there were a technique that called for a light well balanced rod, it's flipping. If flipping is your main presentation for the day, you're going to make hundreds and hundreds of presentations. The more tip heavy the rod, the more fatiguing it's going to be.

As far as Geoff's comment on the actions anglers prefer for flipping being all over the place, I would completely agree with that as well. I have 3 rods that I use for flipping and pitching. One has an extra fast action, one a fast action, and one a mod fast action. I have to admit that I used to think that an extra fast action was the way to go, but I find myself using the rod with the mod fast action more and more often. Especially on lakes that are known for having bigger fish. I just feel more confident with the mod fast action when I have a big fish on, than I do with a faster action blank.

I will say that I still believe a fast or extra fast action rod is better for moving fish on the hook set, and that is why the moderate fast action rod I have has substantially more power than the rods I use that have faster actions. I feel the added power makes up for the slower loading blank.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2019 05:42PM

NO WAY I would glass for flipping.
First being the weight factor mentioned above.

Second and equality important is the lack of sensitivity glass has compared to graphite.

You can choose the action you like, but you will land more of the fish you hook with a moderate fast action.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 02:43AM

I just like glass for my larger crank baits.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 09:18AM

The first production flipping stick was on an S-glass saltwater blank, non- telescoping, 7 1/2 ft long, though Dees' original was much longer, bass tournament rules shorte?n to rods, now they are allowed long rods again.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 12:30PM

I always liked the telescopic version of the fliping rod..the larger heavier bottom section kept the rod in balance even with a big jig and pig..making a flip seemed automatic because of the balance..

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 14, 2019 05:24PM

You don't balance a flipping rod or really any rod used for slack and semi slack techniques with the weight of the bait you're throwing with it in mind ..... you find your balance point with a slack or semi slack line in mind. The weight of the butt section of a telescoping rod most likely is heavy enough (depending on the total length of the rod) to make the rod balance tip light with no weight, or the weight of just line hanging off the end. Because the rod is tip light it is takes less effort to accelerate the rod tip. It's actually that, that makes flipping and pitching with a tip light rod, a breeze.

I have a rod I added 2.375 oz too so that it would balance tip light. It's actually extremely tip light. It's balance point is pretty much right at the forward tip of the reel's foot. It is an absolute gem to fish with. It feels heavy if you pick it up in a vertical position, but as soon as you move it to a fishing position the feeling of the added weight goes away, and it actually feels lighter.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 14, 2019 06:10PM

Yes! what David said only more better..lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster