I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kr for 706z possible?
Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2019 03:07PM

Anybody know if kr concept is possible with a 706z with 14lb fireline on a 9' rod(with 25" from butt to top hood)and i know 706 has huge spool diameter for a 9'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kr for 706z possible?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 08, 2019 05:36PM

It would work but far from optimally , if you went down to 10 pound Fireline it would work better. I fished a 704Z with 10 pound Fireline for a while with an LC 20 and it worked but with that size reel and spool diameter i would set it up NGC myself .

Date: November 08, 2019 07:58PM

If you go with the KR concept go with a KL25H , KL12H to a KL 7M or KL6M that should work well enough with that size spool diameter and that line choice . I usually use a 5.5 M as the third guide but i think with your line choice the KL7M or KL6M is a better choice . I'm assuming you don't care to spend the $$$ on the double foot RV guides so your only choice is single foots . When your line of choice is Fireline in the 10- 14 pound designation a size 30 ring is too large it's totally unnecessary so a 25 would be the ideal choice .

Luckily the sponsors on the left allow you to purchase guides and try them out to see if they work for you , if not you can return them . I have done that many times, as soon as i get them i rig them up temporarily and go out and test cast, if i like them i keep them if they don't work as well as i thought i return them.

No big deal , it's not like you're stuck with them , just don't alter them in any way meaning no grinding down the foot .

Date: November 09, 2019 07:32AM

Thanks Herb i was thinking ncg wouldnt work because choke would be too far out by 27x it puts the choke right at tip then i thought cof but unsure of how quick i can reduce size and wanted to try and keep the tip light. At first i assumed kr wouldnt work because of spool diameter but then inthought mayne it could work amd bring the choke back. I wanted to use the 706 because the bearing roller is much better than 704 bushing or so i have heard and i thought my bailess 704 was working good with 30lb braid until i realized it wasnt rolling but you think the 704 bushing rolls good with fireline from what ive seen online it has no problem. May juat use 704 that should be better for kr

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 09, 2019 10:00AM

Don't understand what the reel has to do with whether or not the KR, or NCG system works, I saw no restrictions video, or print matter, so I've never assumed there was one. I try not to make my job any harder than I have to, or over think things and not even start, even a failure has something valuable to teach you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 09, 2019 10:05AM

Brett,
Try this -
Use a size 25 match guide at 20 inches from the face of the reel, then a size 12 sv guide and then run size 6 runners to the tip and the tip top with a size 6. You can put any name on the guide selection that you wish.

Simple, effective, no line slap and casts a country mile. Three inexpensive guide sizes and it will work wonderfully well.

Don't get too hung up on one system or another. Just use a simple system that puts the line where you want it and catches fish efficiently.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 09, 2019 10:07AM

Brett,
Try this -
Use a size 25 match guide at 20 inches from the face of the reel, then a size 12 sv guide and then run size 6 runners to the tip and the tip top with a size 6. You can put any name on the guide selection that you wish.

Simple, effective, no line slap and casts a country mile. Three inexpensive guide sizes and it will work wonderfully well.

Don't get too hung up on one system or another. Just use a simple system that puts the line where you want it and catches fish efficiently.

Date: November 09, 2019 12:18PM

Brett DeNicola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Herb i was thinking ncg wouldnt work
> because choke would be too far out by 27x it puts
> the choke right at tip then i thought cof but
> unsure of how quick i can reduce size and wanted
> to try and keep the tip light. At first i assumed
> kr wouldnt work because of spool diameter but then
> inthought mayne it could work amd bring the choke
> back. I wanted to use the 706 because the bearing
> roller is much better than 704 bushing or so i
> have heard and i thought my bailess 704 was
> working good with 30lb braid until i realized it
> wasnt rolling but you think the 704 bushing rolls
> good with fireline from what ive seen online it
> has no problem. May juat use 704 that should be
> better for kr

Brett , well you got to have a functioning reel , if the bushing in the 704 Z doesn't spin then you need to get it to spin by performing maintenance on it or simply purchasing replacement parts and THANK GOD Penn decided to bring back those classics so parts are available for them now . On another note whether you use the 706Z or 704Z will make very little difference in the end because both reels are so similar in size and spool diameter .

Regarding the choke guide ending up out toward the tip of the rod that's A OK , that's perfectly normal , Tom Kirkman , i'm sure you've heard of him has made it very very clear that it DOES NOT matter if the choke ends close to the tip of the rod as rod length DOES NOT determine where the choke is located . Choke will be located wherever careful measurements say it should be located regardless of how short or long the rod is , only difference between different rod lengths will be the # of running guides you use , on short rods you might end up with a single running guide.

What you DO NOT do is drastically change the location of the choke guide based on rod length , the choke should be where it shows it performs best even if it only allows a single running guide .

Now about those reels , while you can use braid on the 706 Z and 704 Z Penn Classics those reels were never built with braid in mind , Penn sells reels that are far more modern and purposely built with braid usage in mind and would be a superior choice with a 9 foot rod than either the 706 or 704 would be . The 704 and 706 reels were giant surf reels of the 60's and 70's designed for easy maintenance and rock solid reliability and in 90% of cases attached to surf rods in the 11 - 13 foot range.

Date: November 09, 2019 01:13PM

I know these reels arent ideal but i love their simplocity and reliabilty im planning a wading rod that will get dunked and be underwater and i like a short rod for wading. And plan on throwing 2.5oz+ with it. And my 704z is new only used once and roller wont spin because the braid it too limp its a common problem with the 704z because of the bushing apparently from what i habe read the 706z bearing is able to roll woth braid

Date: November 09, 2019 01:15PM

I have a new 704 Z as well and no issues of it rolling with 10 pound braid . Anyways enjoy yourself .

Date: November 09, 2019 01:18PM

Herb the spool diameter of 706 is .25" larger than 704. 27x puts them 7" apart

Date: November 09, 2019 01:24PM

I understand that but you will find the performance between both are very very similar , mostly being due to their ancient locomotive oscillation system and how they wrap braid . Build a rod cast both and see for yourself , both will perform very similarly with no noticeable performance advantage between the two .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster