I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kw stripper guide sizing
Posted by: Brandon parlacoski (---)
Date: November 04, 2019 08:56PM

I’m building a north fork st964 9’6” 6-12 casting rod for steelhead/silvers and trying to figure out what size guide to start with I will be using Fuji kw guides. I’m thinking starting with a 12 10 8 6 does this sound about right any suggestions would be great. It seems like there’s tons of info for spinning setups just not a lot for casting.if it helps I’ll be using a revo mgx low pro reel. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kw stripper guide sizing
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 04, 2019 10:00PM

I would start with a KW10, KW 6, Then whatever runners are sufficient in size to pass any leader knots you may use. No need to step down in sizes. I am not familiar with this particular type of rod, but it sounds pretty fundamental to me. Wait for more opinions.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 04, 2019 10:29PM

What kind of casting reel are you planning on using? If a low profile reel a KW 10 (or RV6) is sufficiently high enough and will cast quite well. If you are going to use a casting reel sitting higher off the blanks, then a larger Stripper may be warranted. I have a 9’ Salmon/steelhead casting rod I use with a Curado 201 reel. It has a KW10, and a KW5.5 followed by KB/KT5 runners.
Norm

Date: November 04, 2019 11:08PM

I will be using a abu Garcia revo mgx very similar in size to your curado. I guess a good question is how does one go about sizing guides for a casting rod..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 05, 2019 12:12AM

I see no reason for all the sizes, I'd start with a 10 than 6s on that size rod. Been starting with a ten for near 30 years after fishing than owning the fantastic Berkeley Series One rods. Even the heavy power salmon rod was wrapped that way.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 05, 2019 08:36AM

I see no reason why the length of the rod would affect guide sizing, although I have seen one article that did take into account the rod length. When I asked why, I didn't get a good answer. The KW sizes recommended for the first guide should work, as will the RV 6 mm, which I prefer. I doubt is there is any significant difference in performance- I just prefer it. The running guides may be all the same size, IMO, and would be sized depending on passing any knots you plan to use. I've settled on 5.5 KB's and KT's. For a rod like this I would consider taking the KB's right to the end to take advantage of its bigger/stronger foot.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: November 05, 2019 09:37AM

Brandon, to answer your question in a broader sense, the guides on a casting rod are there to manage the line flow along the blank. Line coming from a casting reel (unlike the coils of a spinning reel) flow pretty smoothly from the spool other than the side-to-side action from the way the line is placed on the spool by the pawl guide going back and forth on the retrieve. The first guide needs to be tall enough and open enough to "choke" the initial burst of line coming from the reel when you cast. You should choose the smallest guide that will do that job and place it where the line does not slap the blank or pile up behind the guide when you cast. The key is the right size in the right place, which comes from trial and error and test casting with guides taped in place. After the crucial placement of the first guide, all other guides can be the same size because the line is now flowing smoothly toward the tip of the rod. It's best to position the remaining guides to provide power during a fight which is called "static loading", you can read about that at [www.anglersresourc.net]

Date: November 05, 2019 07:11PM

Thanks for all the great answers I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 10, 2019 02:28PM

I have always understood that "stripper guide" refers precisely to the first guide on a fly rod, and the Rodbuilding.Org Glossary of Terms confirms this definition. Maybe it should be changed?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 03:53PM

I believe the proper terminology for rods other than fly is "butt guide". Glad we got that rectified. It was bothering me also to some small extent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster