I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot guides for 9 foot 6 wt. fly rod
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 04, 2019 08:49PM

I am wrapping a Eternity2 9 foot 6 wt, 4-piece fly rod. I have a single foot guide set of: 1 size 12 stripping; 1 size 10 stripping; 1 size 4; 1 size 3; 2 size 2; 4 size 1. These are the sizes recommended by Batson on their web site. Some suggest one should go up a size or two for single foot. Are the size 1 singe foot too small for this rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot guides for 9 foot 6 wt. fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2019 09:20PM

For starters, you don't need all those different sizes. Use a stripping guide, drop down one or two sizes, then move right on to all the same size runners. This will provide a straighter line path and at less weight.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2019 12:14AM

The size 4 is larger then your 10 ceramic, makes no sense to go larger IMO.

Date: November 05, 2019 07:58AM

I've never heard of a size 1 single foot, or are you talking about wire type single foot fly guides? If you're talking about ceramics, I'd be hard pressed to use less than #6 for the running guides.

So along those lines, #12, #8 and then as many #6's as required to get to the end of the rod.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 05, 2019 12:38PM

Yes, wire single foot, not ceramic. I do have ceramic single foot for the two stripping guides: #12 and #10. All the others are wire single foot.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2019 01:23PM

I have built a number of these blanks and I use, 12 & 10 strippers then #3 single foot wire guides the rest of the way. I also fish one of these builds and it performs very well for both casting and fighting the fish.

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 06, 2019 12:30AM

16-12 strippers,-6-6-6-5-5-5-4-4 single foot wire,-large loop tip. I like going oversized, just psychological I guess. Never had a bad casting rod even though most of my builds are on cheap no name blanks. Am currently about to start the same blank in a 5wt and that's what I'm going with. Built a 5wt med-fast no name with these sizes and can easily cast 60' no problem without dbl hauling.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: November 06, 2019 01:19AM

It all depends of you line to leader knot.
If it pass thru size 1 or not (mine pass with ease on size 1).
So I use 12/10 stripper, one size 3, one size 2 then size 1 thru tip.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 07, 2019 09:18AM

Scott: I have never personally seen anyone fly cast over fifty (measured) feet with a fly rod and fly line without double-hauling. I know I can't, but I can cast over ninety feet with a double haul. Is there a commercially made 5wt. rod with the guide train you specify? I would love to double-haul test cast it and break the 100 foot barrier with a 5 wt.!

Date: November 07, 2019 10:51AM

Scott Giaquinto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 16-12 strippers,-6-6-6-5-5-5-4-4 single foot
> wire,-large loop tip. I like going oversized, just
> psychological I guess. Never had a bad casting rod
> even though most of my builds are on cheap no name
> blanks. Am currently about to start the same blank
> in a 5wt and that's what I'm going with. Built a
> 5wt med-fast no name with these sizes and can
> easily cast 60' no problem without dbl hauling.

Just for kicks - drop the 6's and 5's and go straight to the 4's. There is a lot of distance between guides so there is no need to think you are somehow aiding line flow by using so many different size guides. You will actually get a straighter line path by going straight from the #12 guide to the 4's.

Date: November 07, 2019 03:02PM

Phil, you must not have observed very many fly fishermen! I and others I fish with can cast well over 50ft without a double or single haul !

PS: I am 82 years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 03:03PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: November 08, 2019 08:21AM

Good for you, Phil! When I'm fishing I watch the water, not the flycasters, so nearly every flycaster I watch is during a teaching session. These folks definitely can't double haul and definitely can not cast 50 feet. Every one of them can easily cast farther than 50 feet once they have learned to double haul, which in my opinion is almost a necessity to successful fly fishing in salt water.

Date: November 08, 2019 07:18PM

Phil, I agree with you regarding casting in salt water as it usually requires longer casts then most fresh water. While a good double haul is important, there are times when a single haul will suffice.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 09, 2019 02:31AM

Presentation is everything, if your long cast impresses your buddies fine, but if the cast put you across 2, or 3 current seams, your not fishing effectively. Spend equal if not more time fishing 20 - 40 ft. Love it when anglers are up to their belly buttons in the water and I'm catching fish behind them.

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 09, 2019 06:43AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott: I have never personally seen anyone fly
> cast over fifty (measured) feet with a fly rod and
> fly line without double-hauling. I know I can't,
> but I can cast over ninety feet with a double
> haul. Is there a commercially made 5wt. rod with
> the guide train you specify? I would love to
> double-haul test cast it and break the 100 foot
> barrier with a 5 wt.!

Phil, Anytime you get to the WNY area let me know and we can hook up.

Date: November 09, 2019 11:03AM

Spencer: You make a good point. I know a fellow from Canada who is a deadly (calm) shallow-salt-water fly fisherman and never threw a fly farther than 50 feet. Fresh-water fly fishers frequently have to cast less than 30 feet. When you are in open water or in a boat or in a wind the ability to cast 80+ feet is never a handicap and always an asset.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster