I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Geeks Blanks??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2019 11:40PM

Looking for some advice. A few times this year I found myself wishing for a fishing rod. Time to build a dedicated truck/travelrod. Want to go with something around six foot, four piece,light to med light fast action. Four piece is a must. Want to have smallest package as possible.

Rainshadow offers their RX 6 in a 4 pc light model SB720-4. Not familiar with this particular line but used other rainshadow blanks in the past been happy with them. Med light would probable be a bit more practical though. Which brings me to Rodgeeks.

They offer the C260LF4 which specs out nearly identical to the rainshadow. Don't specify the modulus just say mid range. Rainshadow calls it standard some dealers list it at 33 million. Rodgeeks then offers a 4 pc 6'6" Med Light model C266MLF4. Which is not that much different spec wise.The rodgeeks blanks are a bit more expensive but not enough to sway my decision one way or the other.

So throw some thoughts at me to make my decision a little easier or confuse me even more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Geeks Blanks??
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 03, 2019 12:06AM

St. Croix travel rods in the past I've used were stiffer tipped than the Rainshadows I've used.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 03, 2019 01:59AM

I've built 2 of the RodGeeks 4 piece travel rods. They are excellent and super compact when packed. Seriously, these are excellent fishing rods and uniquely short. I've never used the Batson ones mentioned, but they are likely good too.

The really cool part about RodGeeks is the easy custom colors for $15.

Date: November 03, 2019 03:46AM

The custom colors has me leaning that way. How is the quality of finish? Any issues with thread finish sticking to the blank finish?

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: November 03, 2019 07:56AM

I have not experienced any difficulty with their product

Ron Weber

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 03, 2019 08:09AM

Rodgeeks finishes are like glass, or a high quality car finish. I cannot imagine the finish not satisfying someone. They also have a very fine customer service operation. If you have questions I suggest you call them.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 03, 2019 11:53AM

Rainshadow and Rodgeeks are both excellent blanks. I doubt you would be disappointed in either. Why not make both and compare?! If you want a custom color, Rodgeeks can provide that. I think you will be pleased with either.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 03, 2019 03:33PM

I just built a 4pc. ultra light spinner with a Rod Geeks blank. Was very happy with it.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 03, 2019 10:25PM

The custom color RodGeeks are really great. You're getting an excellent St Croix blank in any color they publish. It's a unique opportunity. I've been very happy with them. I've only built the fly rods and travel rods, for full disclosure, but very happy with both.

Drew

Date: November 04, 2019 12:05AM

Thanks for the input. Going to go with 6 6 rod geeks blank I think. Still kicking around ideas. I was thinking of just going as basic as possible and spend as little as possible. After all rod will see minimal use. But the custom rodbuilder in me is saying, if your going to spend the time use the best components and make it look as nice as possible. So probable be burnt copper blank, orange and black maple burl reel seat insert, pac bay minimas, some shade of brown thread, pale gold trim wraps. Be a real close match of colors to my King Ranch F150. Just got to figure out what reel to go with so I can set the rod up as best as possible.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.123.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 04, 2019 09:13AM

I've used both myself and built them for customers. No complaints either way you go as both are excellent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster