I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay tail stock
Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: November 01, 2019 08:55AM

I just purchased a Pac Bay rod wrapper with a tail stock and I'm having difficulty getting it to tightened . It's a poor design . Anyone else have this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay tail stock
Date: November 01, 2019 10:07AM

Well , I ran it by a Marine Machinist and he said that there was too much slop in the slot and the pin was too small causing the slop. At 100 per hour it is not cost effective to do. I'll try some tape but that won't be
a permanent fix.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 01, 2019 11:07AM

Could you find some tubing with an inside diameter to match the O.D. of the pin and shim out the O.D. of the tubing to fit the slot?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 01, 2019 11:59AM

William,
Could you take some close up pictures and illustrate your problem.

You indicated that "I"m having difficulty getting it tightened."

If the tail stock slipping with respect to the base of the tail stock slipping with respect to the wrapper bed?

Or, if you have the tail stock just locked down by itself, are you saying that if you put your a block against the pin of the tail stock and go to advance the tail stock into the block that there is no piercing pressure of the tail stock into the block and then if so, is the adjustment slipping back?

--------------------------
Is this the tail stock that you purchased that you are having an issue with?

[www.mudhole.com]

---------------------------------
Here is a question from another forum about tail stocks:
"The tail stock slips when I try to tighten it down. The whole assembly slips back. When turning between centers I really crank it down using a wrench to get more leverage. I think I need to replace the clamping mechanism but I do not know how it is listed."

The fix for the question just listed above it to take a pair of blocks of metal and drill a hole through the center of the blocks. Then slip the block pair into the bad of the wrapper or lathe, and align the blocks one below the bed and one above the bad and make the thru bolt hand tight.l Then, slide the block pair up to the base of the tail stock and tighten the block pair with a wrench. This creates an effective stop - such that the tail stock can not slip away from the head stock as the top of the tail stock assembly is tightened into the work piece.
------------------------------------
So, this goes back to the question - does your tail stock not have the strength and power to advance the point of the tail stock into the work piece due to a design or manufacturing problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Date: November 01, 2019 01:34PM

The final straw was that the knob on the tailstock ram was press fit with a piece of tape! I returned the wrapper. No wonder I had issues tightening it down. I'll try and post photos of the tail stock. I'm new to the board so I will go to the picture section and try to post the images .Bill

Date: November 01, 2019 01:38PM

Just tried to post the photos but I guess I'm not recognized by the photo board . Bill

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2019 02:09PM

That is a separate website and you will need to register there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 01, 2019 10:47PM

William,
Just curious if you tried to tighten the tail stock with the knob removed and then used a vise grip to use to turn the tail stock shaft on the tail stock to tighten it.

If so, would the tail stock held all right.

If so, then the simple fix for the issue is to pick up a new metal knob with threaded holes for at least two set screws to tighten the knob on the shaft of the tail stock.

Understand that with a new product, you should not have to modify it to make it work. But, from the pictures, the tail stock actually looks like a nice unit. So, if it could be made functional with a new knob it would be good to know.

===========================
I just did a quick search and ran across this very inexpensive tail stock:

[www.amazon.com]

One would have to add a spacer block under the tail stock to bring it to the correct level, but other than that - it would be interesting to know how it would work for a tail stock. It appears to be quite well made.

Date: November 04, 2019 08:33AM

I should have to modify the wrapper. That tail stock would probably work but I'm not throwing more money at a poorly designed product. I have sent the unite back for a refund. Bill

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.123.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 04, 2019 09:15AM

I replaced mine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster