I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Carbon fiber grip PROBLEMS!
Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: November 02, 2019 12:19PM

Hey guys,
I think I may have gotten to the root of the evil. (Part of it anyway). I sanded the grips back to the carbon. Then I added another coat of the aero marine epoxy. I let it rest for 10 min after mixing for 6 min. It didn’t thicken up a lot but I put it on anyway - then MAJOR tiny air bubbles! I heated it but they seemed to keep coming. So, I left that one (foregrip) to turn under my drying tent. I mixed a batch of my threadmaster (my thread epoxy of choice) and put it on the butt grip. I saw some air bubbles but not as many. The thicker viscosity seemed to cover the small bubbles much better. So, I heated this grip, cleaned the dust particles with my tweezers, and put it under the tent!
Moving forward with the next set of grips I plan to:

1. Put a seal coat on the the foam core
2. Pay more attention to the grip after the wet layup
3. Give the the aeromarine more time thicken before application
4. Probably will switch to the west system 105 with the 207 hardener

As Capt. Mike said on his video AIR BUBBLES ARE DEATH!

The only thing I can’t explain is the discoloration (leopard like swirls) in the epoxy as I sanded it back to the carbon.
Anyone have any ideas? Or more suggestion?
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2019 06:02PM

Once you have sanded it close to the carbon fiber and there are no craters or low spots, you've got what you want.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 02, 2019 08:26PM

I've only built one foam core carbon fiber grip. I used the CFX kit available from Mudhole to build it. Before building it I watched and followed the procedure outline in a video I watched on YouTube. Go to Youtube and type in "Carbon Fiber Composite Grip Seminar"

The first one at the top of the page should be a video by Capt. Mike Pederson of Riley Rods. It's a great video and will really tune you in on making carbon fiber grips

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster