I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking to build spinning rod for trout
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.cmts.dlh2.ptd.net)
Date: October 30, 2019 02:08PM

Hello,

Im looking to build a new rod for bait fishing (live 2" redfin minnows) for trout.

I want an 8' or longer UL spinning rod, maybe build from a fast action 8' to 9' 3wt fly blank.. ?

I want to utilize the new style guides for increased casting distance and accuracy.

Recommendations please? Price range for blank, decent cork handle and good reel seat, and guides... $75 to $150.

On a second note, can an existing 10 nymph rod be converted to use effecively for both spin and fly fishing? I have a Cortland 10' 3wt....

Thanks

Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking to build spinning rod for trout
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 30, 2019 05:19PM

Your rod responds only to how much weight it is casting, not whether the weight is minnow, sinker, or lure. I have found absolutely NO published data - in feet and inches - of which guides yield the greatest casting distance or accuracy. If you come across such information please post it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 30, 2019 07:11PM

Jesse

I will only say one thing. If you want more distance - go with a light action rod, rather than an ultra light. Not as much fun to catch small fish but the slightly heavier rod will give you a lot more distance.
For a similar reason, if you want distance, I would not go with a fly rod.

I have built fly rods of various weights with spinning guides and spinning rod grips and I will just generally say that I was never very pleased with the fishing results of such a build.

Perhaps for others, it works fine. But for the examples that I built, I simply found that too much of the rod blank was too light for the effective use of the rod for longer distance casting.

If in doubt, build an 8 foot rod on an ultra light blank. Build an 8 foot rod on a light power blank. Build an 8 foot rod on a 3-5 power fly rod and see which of the rods work best for you and your particular style of fishing. Sell or give away the rods that you don't care to use and let us know what you find out.

Take care

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---)
Date: October 30, 2019 07:29PM

Well, perhaps someone here can recommend something. Experience means more to me than data.

I have seen 8' 3wt blanks that were built as spinng rods, but not as a combination spin and fly rod.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 09:31AM

If you want a rod that is better at being a fly rod and fair as a spin, use a fly blank, but something in the 4-6 wt range.
If you want a better long light spin rod, consider a 1 or 2 power Steelhead blank.
We have done both, the fly blank gives a nice moderate action, but the cast is more of a"lob".
As Roger points out, if you like something a little more "snappy" in performance, then a fly blank is not the best choice.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: October 31, 2019 09:54AM

I am currently using a newer Fenwick 6' (?) ultra light spinning rod for my trout fishing. I use mostly 4lb test and I use 5x trout hunter leader for my tippet materials. When needed, I go to something even lighter.

My biggest single issue with this rod is the rebounding wiggle when I cast a light jig or minnow. It just shakes too much, and it robs distance from my cast. I am sure that a faster action may be the answer here, but, I do want something at least 8' in length. I fish small to medium sized trout streams in Pennsylvania, the added length would give me more line control and aid in putting my baits in the zone required.

I am also looking into the new guides (like the mircowave) that help reduce line slap and increase accuracy and distance.

This said, I need a vendor who can sell me the blank, those guides, and a decent handle kit.

Anyone...? Thanks Jesse

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 31, 2019 10:19AM

As Ron pointed out, a light steel head rod works very well for long distance casting to trout.

I have a pair of 7'10" #2 steel head rods that I built from Shakari blanks and they excel for this sort of fishing. The tip wobble is exactly why I do not use ultra light rods for any of my fishing any more.

For line slap issues, I just make sure that the first stripper guide is at least a size 20 match guide. The taller guide just simply eliminates the line slap. This tall guide is somewhat unusual for most comparative rods on the market but - in a nutshell - it works.

Then, with the current successful thinking go down to a size 10, a size 8 and runners in the size that you wish for the tip and you will have a stellar rod.

Best wishes

Date: October 31, 2019 10:21AM

If you examine the advertisements for fishing rods in several different outdoor magazines you should be able to find the rod blanks and the guides which produce the least line slap and the most accuracy and distance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 11:12AM

There are all kinds of guide systems that will work fine (casting distance) with very light line. For this rod I believe your main priority is sensitivity and fast tip response, which will lead you to small, light , guides. As readers of this forum know already, I'm a big fan of the Fuji KLH reduction train and KB/KW running guides. They are offerred in many different ring and frame materials, and frame finishes. Some are very affordable. Go to the Anglers Resource site in the left margin for all the info you'll need, if Fuji is your choice.

I have a couple spin rods built from fly blanks, and they are as others have mentioned, a little sloppy, so I don't think they are the best option either.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 12:34PM

To eliminate the "wag" you don't like, shop for the highest modulus blank you can afford. It will "recover" much faster and eliminate the "wag" but you will have to deal with the inherent stiffness of this particular kind of blank. You will love the sensitivity and weight.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 31, 2019 12:49PM

In my opinion, fly rod blanks made into spin rods are just too sloppy for my taste, but some like them. Phenix makes a number of longer UL blanks, from extra fast to moderate soft. I have built using a few of them and I like the Elixir series they make very nice rods. For 7’ UL Rod blanks I like both the MHX and Rainshadow Revelation models, they are quite similar to each other. As far as guides are concerned, I am also a big fan of Fuji KR concept guides, or as lighter option I also like PacBay Minima guides using M guides for the reduction train and F guides as runners. When using either of these guide trains use a size 16 based reduction train (KL16H, KL8H, and KL5.5M; or 16M, 8M, and 5M) with runners all of the same size (5 or 4.5, or 4). I personally prefer a split grip handle.
Norm

Date: October 31, 2019 01:19PM

Use sets priorities in rod building. If you are fishing bait then the elusive "accurate" rod is of little concern. If you are fishing water no more than 30 or 40 feet wide any rod can do that. If you are fishing with monofilament line a change to braided line will increase "sensitivity" a whole lot more than new blanks or guides will. If you are fly-casting a half-hour lesson with a competent teacher will improve your casting distance and accuracy ten times as much as any new blacks or guides will, no matter how expensive or well-advertised they are.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 02:12PM

You may be able to improve the rod you already have by cutting off the guides that are currently on it and replacing them with KR concept micro guides. The micro runners and tip top may lighten the tip section and make the rod more responsive which will help to reduce or even eliminate the wag you don’t like. Is your current rod graphite or fiberglass, and what kind and size guides are being used used? Braid does increase both casting distance and sensitivity, and a light leader can be spliced in using an FG knot.
I once had a 7’ UL to L powered rod that I made a long time ago using ceramic guides with the runners being a size 6 with a size 6 tip top. I hated that rod it was just too sloppy for me. When the KR concept was first being introduced I tried this concept on that rod. The results where amazing, it made the rod much more responsive and casted much further with less effort. Like two different rods, Day vs Night. Ever since I have been a KR convert. Might be a simple fix for you.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 31, 2019 07:48PM

I would stay away from Microwaves for this build.

Date: November 01, 2019 06:54AM

This is very interesting. Im an occasional rod builder. I build a few rods every few years, its not something that I do every day. I find it mind boggling to go through all of the ads and posts to try and define what I need. You guys have been very helpful, and I do appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted by: Gary Frank Gore (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 01, 2019 01:16PM

Not an ultralight, but a light power blank on sale. Could easily add the components & stay under $150.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.nyc.us.northamericancoax.com)
Date: November 03, 2019 03:19PM

Thanks to all, I have found what I need to try. Very much appreciated.

Posted by: paul blair (37.120.132.---)
Date: November 19, 2019 07:53AM

Good luck and please!

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster