I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Break Article
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 26, 2019 07:35PM

If you have not read this - its a gem.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Our very own 'Rodbuilding.org' Tom Kirkman put this together some time ago, when we receive any questions of why we think a blank broke is to point to this article.

It will be hosted on the NFC homepage.

Thanks,
Alex

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2019 07:45PM by Aleks Maslov.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Break Article
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2019 08:29PM

Just for general information - we broke a couple hundred+ rod blanks to make sure that what we were seeing in any given scenario was indeed, caused by the method we used to break the rod. Same blank models, 1st quality, same break methods. You don't have to guess - you can know what caused a rod to break just by looking at the break area.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (85.17.24.---)
Date: October 26, 2019 08:39PM

I am not a very technical guy but these are the type articles I find helpful and Rodmakers is the only magazine that goes into this sort of research and testing to help the custom rod builders. Do not think I could stomach breaking over two hundred first quality blanks for any reason though...

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 27, 2019 10:29AM

Hello All.

If i'm not mistaken there was an article in RM, vol-12 issue-6 Page-10, it was the second (and better in my opinion) the first was vol-3 issue-1 page-22.

I lost most of my RM's in hurricane Florence, is this a re-print of the 12-6-10 article?

Thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: October 27, 2019 11:16AM

It's in the Volume 12 #6 issue. They are still available on the back issue page.

Posted by: Pat Haley (---.newsourcebroadband.com)
Date: October 27, 2019 11:43AM

Tom, what a great article. With your permission I would like to post this article in is some of the fishing forums I belong to. This would be great information for the average and above average fishing person to know. Not only how a break happens but what is the cause of a break.

I do not post here very often but read all the time. It is unbelievable the amount of knowledge everyone on this forum has.

Thanks
Pat

Date: October 27, 2019 05:14PM

Linking to it will be fine.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 28, 2019 10:26AM

Hello Tom.

Thanks Tom, I am making a list to bring with me to the ICRBE, if I can't get replacements I will use my C-D's and print them out.

Thanks again.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: November 04, 2019 04:31PM

Excellent article. Bill

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.33.16.93.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 03:27PM

--double post --

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 03:29PM by Laurent Keiff.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.33.16.93.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 11, 2019 03:27PM

I just translated it in French for Rodhouse. It's quite a piece of work, Tom. Mandatory reading for anyone serious about rod building. Custom builder or not.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster