I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrappers
Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---)
Date: October 25, 2019 05:55PM

I have a question for the group, does anybody have an Alps power wrapper with the upgraded chuck, pros and cons, or any recommendations? I have American tackle power wrapper with pacbay upgraded chuck and not very with the whole setup. Also thinking about the crb tracks and are they compatible with the alps unit? Need advice, thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrappers
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 25, 2019 07:33PM

The alps power wrapper's upgraded chuck is essentially a Taig headstock and chuck with some small differences. The headstock and chuck is top of the line. No comments on your other questions.

Take care

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: October 26, 2019 08:43AM

I'm curious as to what you aren't happy with? Is it the Pac Bay chuck, or are there other things about the unit you don't like? I ask because I have a Pac Bay wrapper, but instead of upgrading the chuck with the Pac Bay chuck, I upgraded with the Alps chuck.

Other than the fact that I wish the wrapping motor was a little more responsive to the foot pedal when I have the speed turned down, I am quite happy with it. As it's the only wrapping machine I've ever used (my first wrapper was a hand wrapper that I made) I don't know how it compares to the Alps, but there are things about the Pac Bay that I think are probably better than the Alps.

I like that the Pac Bays' thread carriage has the thread spools mounted horizontally and that thread tension is set at the spool versus going through a thread tension device like the Alps. If I make a mistake I just rotate the thread spool backwards as I rotate the rod backwards. I don't have to hold the thread coming off the wrap like I imagine you'd have to do with a unit that has a separate tension device. I will say that I upgraded the thread carriage with 2 pairs of rare earth magnets from Rougarou Rods (board sponsor in the left hand column) for adjusting the thread spool tension. The magnets make getting consistent thread tension much easier, and makes a huge difference in how smoothly the thread plays out.

Again, I haven't used the Alps rod stands but it appears their upper arms are spring loaded. To me it seems that moving the rod in and out of the machine would be easier with Pac Bay machine because you can manually tighten to upper arm open. You may be able to do that with the Alps as well though. So that may not be something that proves to be true,

Anyhow ...... I like the unit as I have it configured now. Definitely way better than in its stock form.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.123.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 26, 2019 09:04AM

I had a Pac Bay initially and found it to be short of my expectations; the chuck consistently came loose and proved unreliable. I upgraded to an Alps system and couldn't be happier with it. The chuck stays put and has never caused me a problem. I can't say anything about CRB as I haven't seen the tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2019 09:05AM by Mark Hahn.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2019 11:22AM

after 30 years of building went from hand wrapper Pac Bay wrapper (loved it ) and used for several years, until switching to the ALPS wrapper with upgraded chuck. The Pac Bay has sit in storage ever since , just in case I need it one day as a back up.

I prefer the Pac Bay thread carriage a little more then the Alps, but not enough to switch back
As far as I'm concerned there are no cons to the Alps.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 26, 2019 01:13PM

Hello Steve.

Have you ever tried to use your Pac Bay thread carriage on your Alps track?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.123.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 26, 2019 06:56PM

Rob,

I use the Pac Bay thread carriage with the Alps wrapper all the time. Works just fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 26, 2019 10:06PM

David,
Another option for you with the Alps wrapper:

Here is a picture of the Alps head stock with a motor change. There is a dc gear motor in the base of the head stock that is connected to the headstock shaft with an XL cogged pulleys and a belt. The motor is driven by an appropriate speed controller and power supply.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Just another possibility for a different mouse trap - so to speak.

Take care

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2019 11:16AM

No never have tried to switch thread carriages
thank for the suggestion

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 29, 2019 11:32AM

No problem, see you at the CRBE, I'm 85% sure I will be there this year.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster