I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

post-curing epoxy
Posted by: Vincent Vu (12.207.39.---)
Date: October 24, 2019 02:12PM

Hello all,

As a novice rod builder (but have a career in the epoxy coatings industry), I was wondering if anybody does any post-cure for their epoxy finishes. Standard epoxies (modified Bis-A) typically reach about 80-90% cure with ambient temperatures. Driving the reaction to 100% (or very close to it) usually requires an additional high temperature cure for a few hours after the epoxy has reached the 80-90% cure. Does anybody do this, and how do they do it? I have a large industrial oven at my work that i stick my finished rods in there at 120*F for half of a work day, and sometimes i just put the rod outside on a hot Southern California summer day. any input would be appreciated. thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: post-curing epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2019 03:18PM

It's not necessary. At 72F most of the epoxies sold for use as thread wrap coatings will set in about 2 to 3 hours and reach a tack-free cure in about 24 to 72 hours. For any given 20F deviation, down or up, you will double or halve the set and cure times.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2019 03:28PM

Without getting scientific, because I am not an epoxy formulator;) I think it is not a bad idea. We are in Texas where our cars sit in the sun and get to be about 120F on many days in the summer. While we aren't really concerned so much about the "final 10%" we do need to speed the cure time so that we can wet our lines. We let the rod rotate at room temp for a few hours and then put it in a hot car to kick it off faster. It works great. People have sent us many pics over the years of custom hot boxes with heat lamps. Our 4X machines that are wall mounted lend themselves well to a hot box design.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Vincent Vu (12.207.39.---)
Date: October 24, 2019 04:15PM

i also know that people that go out fishing will have the rod in the sun for long enough to hit that last cure state. was just wondering if i was doing an extra step that isn't necessary. thanks for input!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2019 05:16PM

If you're pressed for time, there's nothing wrong with using mild heat such as mentioned to speed the cure. If not, a couple to three days at room temperature are enough.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 24, 2019 10:31PM

The post cure process will improve the mechanical properties as well as the temperature resistance of most epoxies. Therefore post curing the epoxy at a temperature higher than the material will see in use is beneficial.

Depending on the epoxy used post curing should be initiated between 12 hours or before full cure at room temperature, this is important because after the epoxy FULLY cures at room temperature, post curing will have no additional effect on the materials properties.
GENERALLY recommended cure temperature for RIGID materials is 175 degrees F for 8 to 24 hours.

GENERALLY recommended cure temperature for FLEXIBLE materials is 140 degrees F for 8 to 24 hours.

These recommendations are NOT GOSPEL and varies for different materials and epoxies..

My personal preference is that the post cure is not necessary but it is important to make sure the epoxy is fully cured before the rod is placed in service.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 26, 2019 03:34PM

Vincent,
You brought-up a good point about post curing epoxy, one which I have mentioned numerous times on this site without any response. John DeMartini offered the best reply to your question, especially the first paragraph, and I totally agree. Is post curing epoxy required for rod building = no; is it better = yes; is it required for structural composites = indeed.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster