I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Harnell surf rod rebuild guide choice?
Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.sub-174-254-69.myvzw.com)
Date: October 24, 2019 12:17PM

Someone gave me an old rod they said harnell though theres no markings think it is though. Going to keep the old tungsten carbide tip looks to be size 12. Cant decide what I want to do for guides think i want to keep traditional style guides thinking either the single foot chrome nickel titanium rspg recoil guides or just go the cheap xsg stainless wire guides. Its a 10' not sure if I want to spend for the recoil guides. If I go with the single foot recoil i may go concept layout but not sure. Does anyone have any input or alternative suggestions i havent seen? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harnell surf rod rebuild guide choice?
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 07:05PM

What reel and line choice will you be using and what type of fish will you be targeting ?

Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 08:03PM

Stripers probably a 704 and 14 or 17lb mono or 20 fireline. At first i was just going to go with the cheaper xsg double foot stainless guides and practice some threadwork on it as i am a novice but its actually a pretty nice although beatup blank and am thinking i may actually fish it and am looking at those sf rspg recoils they are nickel titanium and are kinda expensive looking at like 70 or more for a set depending on layout just not sure if i want to spend alot for this rod

Date: October 24, 2019 08:33PM

A 704 stacked with mono huh ,well in that case you can rule out a KR concept build and go with a NGC type build starting with something like a size 30 on down , the Pacific Bay XSG guides come in sizes that will work and Fuji's K guides offer sizes that will also work and you can get them in corrosion control frames . Forget the Recoil guides they don't come in the sizes you need anyway .

I have never heard of any surf rods built with Recoil guides actually .

Sizes that will work would be a size 30 to start , 40 is not needed unless using heavier mono and you can even get away with a size 25 IF using 20 pound Fireline , i actually have a 704 with Fireline and it casts very well with a size 20 mm guide actually . Check out sizes 30,20,12, - 30,20,16,10,8,8,8,8 or 40, 25,16, 12, 8,8,8,8 in the XSG frames.

Date: October 24, 2019 08:40PM

Looked like the recoils came in 40 and down unless its a different measurement. Dont know if i want to go with ks or keep an old style guide

Date: October 24, 2019 08:54PM

Probably just going to go with the xsg as i am keeping the wood handle and reel seat and tip original think ks would look silly.

Date: October 24, 2019 09:27PM

Is it a problem to do 30 20 16 10 8 runners if the tip is a 10 or 12? Should not matter right?

Date: October 25, 2019 12:07AM

Brett DeNicola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it a problem to do 30 20 16 10 8 runners if the
> tip is a 10 or 12? Should not matter right?

No it's not a problem , to me size 8 guides are the largest i would use for runners and they sound like they would fit right in with the rod you're building , guide recommendations are just that, recommendations based on a guess when you disclosed what reel and line you were using . You will have to move them around to figure out what layout works best by test casting .

It's always prudent to go with the smallest running guides that will work for your application and size 8's will easily handle mono line of all types , going larger just because the tip size is larger is not a smart move .

Date: October 25, 2019 09:27AM

Thank you Herb. I just wasnt sure i have never used a larger tip than the runners though didnt foresee it being a problem

Posted by: jonathan mclin (138.162.0.---)
Date: October 30, 2019 01:48PM

Brett DeNicola Wrote:
> Thank you Herb. I just wasnt sure i have never
> used a larger tip than the runners though didnt
> foresee it being a problem

I was instructed to use a tip 2 sizes bigger than my runners. Don't know if it helps or hurts but the few rods i have built handle extremely well.

Posted by: jonathan mclin (138.162.0.---)
Date: October 30, 2019 01:48PM

Brett DeNicola Wrote:
> Thank you Herb. I just wasnt sure i have never
> used a larger tip than the runners though didnt
> foresee it being a problem

I was instructed to use a tip 2 sizes bigger than my runners. Don't know if it helps or hurts but the few rods i have built handle extremely well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster