I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

i need a quickline 9' 4wt blank; any similar or better ern and aa options?
Posted by: david thompson (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 23, 2019 09:57PM

hello good sirs and misses,
i need to get my hands on one of these quickline blanks. i understand they may have been discontinued but maybe someone is dragging their feet on a build or will part ways for the right price? if you have an alternative suggestion, it needs to be as close to or better than the following data; 1.3oz 5.5ern with at least 70aa.

it is a shame these rods were discontinued as they are the best dry fly rod for trout that may have existed at any price point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i need a quickline 9' 4wt blank; any similar or better ern and aa options?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 23, 2019 10:25PM

I noticed Schneider’s RoD shop still had them listed. [www.schneidersrods.com]
Also check with Mudhole, they recently had them on sale, and with Utmost, they are located close to PacBay.
Norm

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: October 24, 2019 01:20AM

You could try the Arctos Blanks. I don't know if they meet your exact criteria but they are nice, and if you happen to break it your not stuck with an unreplaceable rod blank.

Date: October 24, 2019 11:43AM

Use the CCS database in the left column, it contains CCS data on a lot of different fly rods. One blank I noticed with the approx CCS numbers you wanted was MHX F905-4 ERN = 5.65, AA = 70, wgt = 1.55 oz.
Norm

Posted by: rick sodke (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 11:52AM

I have 2 MHX F905's purchased at different times and both measured to ERN:5.75, AA = 74 before wrapping. I didn't weigh the blank.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 12:18PM

We show a 9' 4 wt, 5 wt and 8 wt in stock today.
Also have one left of the 10' 5 wt.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: david thompson (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 28, 2019 06:59PM

wow.....so happy i came back to the forums. i assumed i was not getting replies as i selected to have email updates and none were received.
thank you for the suggestion and also the man himself to follow up with the schneiderrods option.

about 3 hours ago i sent an email with my order screenshooted to another company as there were issues with the ordering. i just sent a follow up to have more time to think about this.

i had given up on the quickline and decided to go with the mhx 9' 2 piece which they have labeled as a 5wt; 6.08ern and 72aa i think?. i was going to underline this rod with a 4wt line. this rod on paper would be a little stiffer and faster than the quickline 4wt at the same 1.3oz. this seems like a winning combination to me. the blank i have done almost all my dry fly fishing on for ~25 years is a st. croix with 6.08ern and 66aa. worst case, if i have to run a 5wt line, it will be an improvement over the rod i already like.

i also received a message back from cts about one of their blanks which should be higher ern while also have 70+aa at weight of around 1.3oz. so i now have, potentially, 3 options on my plate.

the great thing about this ccs data is these blanks will feel very similar to me so i will likely buy the least expensive option. i am conflicted as it sounds like some have mentioned the mhx blanks have inflated ccs data.

in this last week i have committed to run recoils on this rod strictly for the weight savings. i do not shot my line to a rising trout unless it is the only option; not enough distance control. i mention this as i understand some have shown ceramics to shot line further. i want all marginal advantages i can understand, as much of my success is based on chasing what others will not.

thank you all for the feedback and i will sleep another night or two on this decision as i want to try and capitalize on a sale this month. peace and long life!

Date: October 29, 2019 12:54AM

I have personally checked the CCS data on several MHX fly rod blanks and the numbers I got were pretty close to those published. So in my opinion the CCS data for MHX blanks were not inflated.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 01, 2019 02:26PM

What physical qualities make this Quickline blank the best dry fly rod for trout?. If these blanks are no longer available I too will have to settle for second-best, but I need to know what qualities to look for.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 01, 2019 02:28PM

What physical qualities make this Quickline blank the best dry fly rod for trout?. If these blanks are no longer available I too will have to settle for second-best, but I need to know what qualities to look for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 02, 2019 11:40AM

Going by the ERN and AA alone won't get it done, they would also need to be made from the same materials to get a similar match.?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster