I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP; Insulating Barrier Against Contamination?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 22, 2019 03:21PM

Without having Ralph O’Quinn to ask, is CP exempt from the ill effects of contamination? I have read a number of posts from members suggesting they employ CP prior to thread finish epoxy to avoid contamination woes. From my experience, contamination is contamination, especially silicone, and nothing is spared the anguish of the ill effects. But then, I rarely use CP.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP; Insulating Barrier Against Contamination?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2019 03:47PM

CP is not immune, but it can and often will cover and seal over any contaminants that might have lit on the thread surface prior to its application. Once applied, it can be contaminated just as easily as anything else.

Thread contamination should almost never be a problem. After doing this for some 40+ years I cannot fathom what builders are doing to contaminate their thread and wrap surfaces. Some things seem so obvious - after wrapping a rod, don't handle the threads. Don't hand the rod off to others to examine, while running their fingers over the thread. Don't spray any aerosols in the area or room where the rod is. If you can't get around to finishing a rod in due time, lay a newspaper or similar over it until you can.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 23, 2019 02:33PM

Mark

First of all let me state that I am a "hobby" rod builder. I just build rods for family, friends, and the occasional neighbor (about 50 so far....to many friends). I have used CP on all of the rods I have I built. When I choose a thread color to use, that's the color that I want to see when the rod is completed. I also take a long time to build a rod - wrap a couple of guides today, perhaps 3 more tomorrow, the butt area maybe next week, etc. I might not apply finish for a couple of weeks. I apply 1 coat of CP on each days wraps until all wraps have 1 coat on them. When I decide to apply finish the rod I put a second coat of CP on all the wraps to be finished - let dry overnight - than apply a coat of finish the next day and 1 coat of finish every day after until done with the finishing. I do this specifically to seal in any contamination that may have found its way on to any of the wrapped areas while sitting during my sometimes long build. After the second coat of CP goes on I do not touch any wraps before applying finish. I might use a little compressed canned compressed air to blow off any visible dust before starting the 1st coat of finish. This routine seems to keep the fisheye monster at bay for the most part. Works for me!

Rog

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 07:27PM

Roger, sometimes nylon thread without CP provides some very desirable results. If you haven't already, do some test wraps that way and finish them. Wetting the thread with alcohol will show how much the color will change, but it doesn't mimic the translucence you get with finish.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 24, 2019 09:37PM

if i build on a blank for the first time, i will fish it with just CP for a goodly while to be sure of my guide spacing and especially number of guides..if i feel i need one or two more guides, it,s no problem to take off the guides and clean the blank back to new and install a correct set of guides..then later apply a finish..since rod building is a hobby for me, i can do things this way and take my time..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster