I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy finish for a rod: colder weather
Posted by: Tom Lusis (173.239.182.---)
Date: October 16, 2019 05:52PM

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on how to best finish rods when the weather starts to get cold.

I live in Canada - southern Ontario to be more specific - and it's getting colder as fall comes one. We also keep the house fairly cool which doesn't help things.

I noticed that the epoxy starts to congeal after mixing and doesn't go on as smoothly. Also the drying time appears to increase.

So for those who live in colder climates do you do anything special to keep conditions right for the finishing steps?

I have seen some examples of "hot boxes" made of styrofoam and heated with light bulbs in which the rod is placed to rotate while drying.

I'm also wondering if having a space heater in the room during this part of the process to increase the ambient temperature may be the easiest thing to do in the short term.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy finish for a rod: colder weather
Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.rstr.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2019 06:22PM

I live in Minnesota and the temperature is starting to fluctuate now. I see mudhole has a tent type structure with little heaters that they sell and I think you can get a package deal with one included. Keeps the temp steady. I'm thinking about getting one myself. Hope this helps

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2019 06:23PM

The ideal temperature for applying most epoxies is going to be about 68F to 80F. Anything you can do to get the room you're working up up to that level is only going to be beneficial. And put the epoxy in the room while you're warming it up - it needs to be at the temp as well for best measuring and mixing results.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 16, 2019 07:25PM

Tom

My work area is in a basement where the temperature is rarely better than cool - even during the summer. The drying tent and heater sold by Mudhole works like a charm to avoid extended cure times even when the room temperature is mid to low 60s.

You can warm the epoxy resin using a microwave for a few seconds. Warmed - not hot - resin will warm the hardener and make application easier and leveling quicker. Just work as quickly as you can.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 16, 2019 07:43PM

My shop is part of my boat house, and during the winter months I warm my work room using a small space heater. Works great!
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 16, 2019 10:33PM

I live in a basement and found out the hard way about what temperature a room should be before applying rod finish . These days i won't even bother unless the temp is 70 F or higher , i have a few temp gauges sitting around so i use space heaters to get the room temp up to at least 73 degrees and no issues but if it's 70 F or below i don't even bother because it never goes well .

I use regular Threadmaster and never have issues with it curing relatively quickly so i only turn on the space heaters for application not for the drying phase . You should be fine with a portable heater

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 16, 2019 11:35PM

The space heater thing works like a charm. We don't heat one end of our house and when I have a rod in progress, I have a space heater with a temp control at 75F. It heats the small room I work in perfectly. The rest of the house will be about 60F but the rod building room is very warm and helpful in getting things done with no drama.

Drew

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 17, 2019 06:20AM

Another way to warm the epoxy before mixing it to pop the epoxy bottles and the mixing ball into your shirt pocket for 20 or 30 minutes before mixing. This gently warms the epoxy without overheating it, which shortens the pot life of the epoxy. This method works well for me.

Rog

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 17, 2019 07:57AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. They have been extremely helpful and I am glad others have found solutions. I tend to build more rods in the winter when it's well below freezing but have always had trouble with the finishing stages. Now I have some great ideas to counter to work with.

I'll start with the space heater and see how it goes.

My workshop is in an small room/unfinished bathroom which I should be able to heat up well with the space heater.I think I'll pick up a temperature gauge to ensure the room is at the right heat.

best
Tom

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2019 08:41AM

Like Roger Templon I too use my body to heat up the epoxy except I put the bottles in my pants pockets while I set up for the job. Works well even though my rod room temp might be below 72.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2019 09:01AM

Here is a link to the CRB Tent and dryer that was mentioned by Taylor Nelson [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---)
Date: October 17, 2019 09:57AM

When I’m applying epoxy and it’s cold, I place a full soda can in luke warm water for 20 minutes or so to warm it up. Dry thoroughly and clean the bottom off with alcohol. Then put the epoxy in the “bowl” on the bottom of the can. As long as it is just warm and not hot, I haven’t ever had a problem with it setting up faster than I would expect.

I tried it with a full beer can but it really makes a mess when I take a drink. Plus warm beer isn’t all that good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 17, 2019 05:26PM

The issue with heating the epoxy for application is fine, but if the ambient temperature is not about 75 degrees or more, the finish doesn't flow out nicely - as it does when the space temperature is 75-80 degrees.

Although I have nice heat in the room where I wrap, for finish work, I always raise the temperature to between 75 and 80 and hold it there for the duration of the drying cycle.

i.e. don't just apply finish and then let the room get cold. Rather, keep the ambient temperature for the full epoxy mix, application and the full term of the drying cycle. Perfect finish every time.

The expense incurred in keeping the space warm, is just an expense that you need to pass on to your client.

Take care

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 17, 2019 06:17PM

Roger doesn't like the idea of turning off the heaters after you get done with the application lol , hey if you can stand to keep the heaters on for the entire drying cycle by all means enjoy but i have never had an issue with turning the space heaters off after i get the finish looking the way i want it to . Finish turns out beautiful .

The room stays in the high 68 F range at the coldest after i turn off the space heaters and the finish that i use dry's quite quickly which is very important to me . I sweat like an animal when i crank those space heaters up before applying finish that's why i can't tolerate them being on all the time.

Always wise to keep Roger happy .

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 17, 2019 09:45PM

Roger is correct on more than one issue pertaining to epoxy and heat; yes, it is important to mix and apply (most) epoxy somewhere around 75*F but it is additionally beneficial to the epoxy to remain at a constant, similar temperature while curing, not unlike keeping the pieces to be bonded from moving; epoxy responds best while curing in a consistent environment, heat or (non)movement. Many in our field of rod building fail to realize the benefits for post curing epoxy (after the normal set time) at an elevated temperature of <150*F for 6 hours. Epoxies are plastics, plastics soften with heat. Epoxies, even fully cured at 75*F will noticeably soften when exposed to 120*F as when left inside a car on a bright and sunny summer day. If that same rod was afforded a post cure of 150*F, the epoxy would not soften to a noticeable extent when exposed to the same 120*F. Splitting hairs? = possibly; better? = certainly; employed by rod builders? = probably not.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (165.225.48.---)
Date: October 18, 2019 08:43AM

On decorative wraps I lower my magnifying lamp over the area. Flows out nicely

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster