I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Stainless SSR Guides - anyone running them?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 07:05AM

I recently purchased some SSR guides for a few spinning rods, but have yet to build and fish them. They look nicely made, and nice prep on the foot.

I'm using the black frame, silver ring version, and would like to find a tip to run that has a smoother frame profile for less line tangle.

Has anyone fished these much? Especially on spinning rods. And any thoughts appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Stainless SSR Guides - anyone running them?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 15, 2019 11:17AM

That style guides has been out for decades now, no reason to believe they are inferior in any way. You could always run a ceramic tip top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 11:21AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 15, 2019 12:18PM

They are almost identical to PacBay Minima guides, hard to tell them apart. The use of a ceramic ring tip top, as Spencer mentioned, will prevent grooving. Just find one you like. Their Hard Crome insert tip top will work just fine, but may groove over time.

Norm

Posted by: Gregg Zambrovitz (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2019 12:29PM

Howdy,
I work at Mud Hole - and I like light, minimal UL builds. We recently built an MHX metallic 6'6" UL (S781-LBU-MHX) with polished SSRGKMs - I loved it! Used light braid with Flouro leader to throw small squarebills and caught some smaller bass on it - what a blast! To round out the build (in case you were wondering) paired it all with a minimal split grip handle kit (HKS-UL-MS-E1.0-16S) - great set up in my opinion....very happy.

SSR Guides
[www.mudhole.com]

SSR Runners
[www.mudhole.com]

Blank:
[www.mudhole.com]

Handle Kit
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 04:52PM

Sounds nice Gregg! Did you run the SSR tip top on it as well?

Thanks,
Marc

Posted by: Gregg Zambrovitz (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2019 11:31AM

Yup - we used the SSR tip top on that build.
[www.mudhole.com]

Its a new build/product - so obviously can't comment specifically on longevity with braid yet - but I can say it had no issue passing leader knots - great distance and accuracy.

In my humble opinion (with all products - not just the SSR guides) your mileage may vary. I mean if someone is lucky enough to go out fishing everyday for 8 hours - they may notice things the average weekend warrior like myself may not see for years.

I can also say that we have a number of people who have used the SSR guides in a variety of applications - including drag ripping inshore applications - and so far no negatives - they work like a champ.

Posted by: Gary Wittrock (---)
Date: May 14, 2020 05:55PM

CRB SSR Guide chart shows ring sizes for a 7' light action rod of 25, 12, 8, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5. However, Mudhole only shows size 20 as the largest size. Is there a disconnect here? I am building a 7' light action rod. Would the difference between a 25 or 20 cause any issues?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster