I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Witch Color Preserver is best
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.52.215.---)
Date: October 14, 2019 10:11PM

Who makes the best Color Preserver as the best color that I can get.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Witch Color Preserver is best
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 14, 2019 10:13PM

Maybe John Cates will chime in here.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 14, 2019 10:52PM

I'm going to say the best color preserver is NO color preserver. The finish soaks into the threads way better without it. It's a more subtle look without color preserver, but it's a better rod. There are many who will not have this opinion but try it for yourself and decide. Color preserver is an unnecessary, and undesirable step, in my opinion.

Drew

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.52.215.---)
Date: October 14, 2019 11:29PM

Drew Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to say the best color preserver is NO
> color preserver. The finish soaks into the
> threads way better without it. It's a more subtle
> look without color preserver, but it's a better
> rod. There are many who will not have this
> opinion but try it for yourself and decide. Color
> preserver is an unnecessary, and undesirable step,
> in my opinion.
>
> Drew

For the most part you are right I never do use C P but this is for a decretive wrap which will be done in nylon so I will need some good C P.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 07:55AM

No CP is fine except when you want vibrant colors. There is no way to get a bright candy apple red wrap with good looking depth (non CP thread looks a little flat compared with regular nylon + CP) unless you use CP. I've found the Flex Coat and U40 CP's work fine. I've had trouble with a clear CP, but that was many years ago, so is probably irrelevant.

The main thing is to use them as directed and let them dry thoroughly. I stir mine as directed, apply it as directed, use two coats just in case the first doesn't get into the tunnels properly, let each coat dry overnight, and I've had no trouble. It is best not to order through the mail in the winter (in the north) as freezing can damage the CP.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2019 08:10AM

Whichever brand you choose - don't thin the CP. Use full strength. One or perhaps two full wet applications.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 11:43AM

Thread Master Chromoseal

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 12:43PM

I've used Chromoseal and like it, but have been using U40 as of late and think that may do a little better than the Chromoseal.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 15, 2019 05:03PM

I agree with Drew while acknowledging we may be in the minority.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: October 15, 2019 05:36PM

Drew, can you actually verify your statement that no CP is the best? I used FlexCoat CP on some flyrods that never got coated with an epoxy finish. I also never had any issues as a result.

I frequently use multiple coats of CP over regular nylon thread. I have found that more coats can really make a difference in the overall color and sheen of the thread. I have used up to 6 coats, maybe even 7. And no issues from them. None! One can argue all they like as to bonding to the blank by omitting the CP. I won't argue the point. I have built a great many saltwater rods and never had one fail doing it my way. Everyone can do what makes them happiest. This IS about custom rodbuilding after all.

Glenn, currently, I often use one that can be bought from a builder/distributor in Louisiana for various reasons. I am still using FlexCoat CP. Different products for different desired results. If doing a closed wrap and also using NCP type threads, I always opt for CP. If doing an open wrap, I find it helpful to lay down a base wrap of a lighter thread color. This, combined with a CP, will help the colors of regular nylon threads really stand out.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 08:05PM

While a also agree with Drew as to the better bonding i cannot say that it makes a better rod , casting and fishing two rods that are identical with one using CP and the other not using it is something i think most would not be able to distinguish differences between . Certainly could be wrong but that's my view of it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2019 08:12PM

Such bonding isn't needed. Wraps with CP are more than strong enough. You can go straight epoxy, but there is no practical gain. Once you have "more than enough" then "even more than more than enough" isn't buying you anything.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 11:18PM

CP WORKS GOOD AND DOESN'T MESS UP YOUR ROD. THE BEST IS FLEX COAT.
John please send me my goodies!

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 11:26PM

Yeah i figured that it wasn't needed , i actually like the idea of having an easier time of removing guides if one had the need or interest to do that down the line because on rods that do not use CP the remnants that you have to chip away at (Cured pieces of epoxy) that is left over after removing the main guide is a time consuming process and not fun.

I might of even considered using CP on wraps for that reason alone if i knew down the line i may want redo the whole thing .

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2019 11:31AM

Not sure what all the prodding is about but, yes, we at Flex Coat have our opinions on all aspects of rod building, not just color preserver. Ours is great. As far as the best, well you tell me. We do believe that using any color preserver on the wrap that holds the guide down makes for not as strong a bond versus epoxy alone, as alluded to several times above on both sides of the issue. Fancy butt wraps, if you are into that kind of thing, and who am I to judge, yes color preserver is definitely called for and probably a must. Color Preserver also works well over decals to tamp down most silicone contamination problems. Just our opinions and how we do it. I apologize if I have offended anyone in the past or present. It is not my intention. We aim to make the best products out there for custom rod building and share our philosophy of how and why. We always look for input and take it very seriously. Regards

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 18, 2019 05:54PM

Witch is someone who rides on a broom stick on Halloween.
Which, is a word that asks a question.

But, in any event - perfect time of the year for a typo.

Enjoy the season and may your seasonal wraps be orange and black.

Take care

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.69.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: October 18, 2019 09:27PM

'Chromaseal' the best bar none!!!! especially if you do weaves and dec wraps.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2019 08:41PM

Didn't mean to prod you John, I respect your opinion. I have no problem with Flex-coat when I use CP. My real intent was to draw your attention to the original post.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2019 12:29PM

Copy that. Just wasn't sure. Maybe between yours and Lance's I read into it a bit.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: John Shear (---.ams.hpecore.net)
Date: October 25, 2019 03:02PM

I prefer Chromaseal on thread because it's thinner and soaks in really well, and seeps into tunnels really well. I never have issues with dark blotching with Chromaseal like I have with Flex Coat. But if I use it over a decal it beads up like rain on a freshly waxed car.
Flex Coat seems to have better adhesive properties so it's better for coating a decal to seal the edges, and it's better for gluing down feathers.

John S.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster