I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Emergency reel seat repair
Posted by: Zach Moore (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 05:18PM

I have a 5wt fly rod that the reel seat came loose on the water. Looks like the failure to remove the decal at that end of the blank was an issue. As I’m in a remote area and don’t have access to any rod bond, is there an epoxy that can be picked up at Lowe’s or home depot that will do the trick once the blank and seat are properly prepped? Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 05:19PM by Zach Moore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Emergency reel seat repair
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 06:13PM

I should think common household epoxy ( Loctite - Devcon) would do it. I wouldn't be brave enough to try it with 5 minute though. 30 min. would be better and turn it every 2-3 min. till it sets up. Keep it in a warm place overnight.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 06:15PM

Zach,
Before the veterans offer their knowledge, make sure the adhesive you use is a catalyzed, 2-part epoxy and NOT an air-drying or moisture curing glue. The epoxies available at Home Depot and such will certainly work but may not be as flexible when cured as rod-specific epoxies, which may not be as critical in the butt section. I am unfamiliar with all their offerings and the only 2-part epoxy I purchase from HD is JB Weld. JB will work in your pinch but is quite thick and dark grey. Maybe HD has a better alternative. If you are fortunate enough to be able to slide the seat off the end of the rod, scuff the inside of the seat and the remaining epoxy on the butt of the rod, apply epoxy, reinstall the seat, wipe off excess, let cure for 24 hours and then fish it. Look at the bright side; consider this is an opportunity to switch from up-locking to down-locking or vise-versa.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 07:03PM

I’d use the 2 Ton Devcon epoxy. It’s a 30 min epoxy and works quite well and can be found in most hardware stores. Similar to Flexcoat rodbuilders epoxy. Never had a problem with it.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-240-137.myvzw.com)
Date: October 08, 2019 07:13PM

Any epoxy that takes about 15 minutes to set will work best, but even the 5 minute stuff will work. Usually the 5 minute set epoxies are more brittle and may crack easier and you have the same problem again. The 15 minute set will usually have the correct hardness without being too brittle. Because it is not used for wraps, you have a lot of options. Don't panic; reel seat epoxy is not that special despite what a retailer that sells it might say. Whatever you use just mix it well and use Mark's instructions.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 07:54PM

Any hardware store even Wal-Mart will have a 2 part epoxy system that will work for you. Just remember to prep the surfaces as per MFG directions.

I would even check the gas station convenience store. A last ditch effort would be the "Dollar" type stores.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 07:57PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2019 08:24PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’d use the 2 Ton Devcon epoxy. It’s a 30 min
> epoxy and works quite well and can be found in
> most hardware stores. Similar to Flexcoat
> rodbuilders epoxy. Never had a problem with it.
> Norm

That's a good, stand-by product and would certainly do the job.

Posted by: Zach Moore (---.static.centurylinkservices.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 08:49PM

Thank you for the advice everyone! It took a long time but I was slowly able to keep turning and pulling and worked the reel seat off the epoxy underneath. I removed all the old epoxy from the blank, removed the decal and scuffed up the blank with sandpaper. I used some sandpaper around a wooden dowel and cleaned out the inside of the reel seat. I used drywall tape for arbors and then used JB weld that’s a 4-6 set time and 24 hour cure. I’m fishing with a guide again and can use his rods tomorrow. I just need this rod to be ready to fish Thursday and Friday when I’m out on my own.

Date: October 08, 2019 08:56PM

Must be a new record for time of original post to time repair carried out!

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 09:17PM

Impressive field repair!

JB weld is strong stuff. Never used it in rod building, but I've used it to attach knife handle scales to good effect so should work fine.

I have used the Devcon 2 Ton several times for reel seats and handles. It's messier than Rod Bond, but 100% satisfactory and it's available in every hardware store. I would almost swear it is the same stuff sold as FlexCoat rod builders glue.

Good luck on Thursday and Friday. Report back how it held up.

Drew

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 09:51PM

JB is stiffer than the 2 ton stuff , should work just fine .,the reason we use ROD BOND a lot , is it is stiff like putty , I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 09:51PM

JB is stiffer than the 2 ton stuff , should work just fine .,the reason we use ROD BOND a lot , is it is stiff like putty , I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 09, 2019 03:02AM

I have used Devcon product's for years. 5 minute, 15 minute and 30 minute epoxies. All work well and never a failure. I use these products since they are available locally just down the street.

If I am going to do a long cork ring glue up, along with a reel seat and fore grip, I will use the 30 minute epoxy. Any of these epoxies have a working time that is about 1/2 the advertised time. i.e. a 5 minute epoxy gives the user about a 2 minute working time.
A 15 minute epoxy gives the user about a 7 minute working time. Then, the 30 minute epoxy will give about a 15 minute working time.

When I say working time - this means that the viscosity of the adhesive has not changed since completing the adhesive mix. Then, as the adhesive begins to thicken, I consider that to be the end of the adhesive working time.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 03:03AM by roger wilson.

Date: October 09, 2019 03:59PM

And Zach, thanks for letting us know you got it fixed!

Posted by: Zach Moore (---)
Date: October 12, 2019 08:46AM

Thanks again for the advice and information everyone. I fished the rod Thursday and Friday with no issues at all and had some great days fishing. Only landed 1 fish Friday but caught 11 Thursday with a couple of really nice browns.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster