I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiny pitting/holes in flex coat finish
Posted by: Greg park (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 12:23PM

Hi all
What would be the cause of tiny pitting/holes in the surface of my thread finish?
It's as though tiny bubbles have burst but the finish hasn't levelled

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiny pitting/holes in flex coat finish
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 02:40PM

heat and rods don,t mix well...

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 03:49PM

Perhaps the two-part epoxy was whipped rather than blended. The bubbles did not come from inside the epoxy containers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2019 11:33AM

Almost surely they are micro-bubbles. These can be caused by mixing/stirring too vigorously or excess application of heat which tends to boil the finish and actually create such tiny bubbles.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 09, 2019 12:44PM

Greg,
When mixing, mix slowly to avoid mixing in air.

If you use heat, which I use on every build, use gentle heat. Excess heat boils the finish and introduces bubbles and Mr. Kirkman indicated.

There is nothing wrong with using heat. The vast majority of the commercial rod shops use heat after finish application to slightly reduce the viscosity of the finish for more uniform and quicker leveling, but it is gentle or moderate heat to avoid the afore mentioned problem.

Take care

Date: October 09, 2019 01:51PM

Greg, don,t play with fire especially starting out as a rod builder..use CP to seal your wraps then you won,t have any bubble problems and have to use heat to get them to bust or get the epoxy to soak into the wrap...it,s really so much simpler this way and looking at a guide wrap and seeing the guide foot is so uncool..lol.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2019 03:58PM

Here is a video on measuring and mixing Flex Coat Finish:
[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 09, 2019 05:01PM

Try gently blowing thru a soda straw on the wraps after coating. The CO2 in your breath helps bubbles to release. Don't spit on it. Actually after finish is mixed if there are some bubbles in it and there very likely will be, blow thru the straw right into the cup and you can see this miracle take place right before your eyes.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 10, 2019 08:30PM

after mixing your epoxy let set 30 sec, then drop one or two drops of DNA on top of epoxy , watch what happen's
to the bubbles in the epoxy , don't mix after the DROPS just use , it works great for me , still a beginner learning

William Sidney
AK

Date: October 10, 2019 09:49PM

Bill,
Really, please don't use DNA with finish epoxy.

DNA really is not compatible with finish epoxy and does not go into solution with the epoxy.

If you do need to put a couple of drops on the finish epoxy, rather - use either Acetone or Xylene. The preferred one to use is Xylene which is the industry wide solvent for epoxy.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 10, 2019 09:55PM

What Roger did not mention, is that if you either one, be sure you mix them into the epoxy!

Date: October 10, 2019 11:38PM

Roger I don't under stand when I started, I was showed that if the epoxy had some bubbles on or in it, an you put one or two drops on the mixed epoxy , one will do all the bubbles go to the side an pop,
never tried acetone , the DNA. just caused a temp. change to the top of the mixture , I never did mix it in just applied it went on fine . just let the DNA. evaporate , what is the short coming's of using DNA.
as I use on epoxy ??? any input will be great Roger

William Sidney
AK

Date: October 11, 2019 06:23PM

Bill,
If using chemicals, I like to insure that they are compatible and will not cause issues with each other or in combination.

Here is the test:

Just mix up a small batch of finish epoxy in a glass bottle and put in a small amount of alcohol and attempt to mix them together.

Then, repeat using finish epoxy and a small amount of acetone.

Then, repeat using finish epoxy and a small amount of xylene.

-----------------------------------------
From another source:
Xylene is used as a solvent for printing, rubber, and leather industries. It is a common component of ink, rubber, and adhesive. In thinning paints and varnishes, it can be substituted for toluene where slower drying is desired. Similarly it is a cleaning agent for steel, silicon wafers, and integrated circuits.

and:

Solvent. Acetone is a good solvent for many plastics and some synthetic fibers. It is used for thinning polyester resin, cleaning tools used with it, and dissolving two-part epoxies and superglue before they harden. ... Acetone is used as a solvent by the pharmaceutical industry and as a denaturant in denatured alcohol.

and :
Here is a very good article by West Systems Epoxy manufacturing about thinning epoxy adhesive and resin:

[www.epoxyworks.com]

Date: October 11, 2019 07:39PM

thanks Roger..i used to wonder why commercial rods just about always in the rain the guide wraps would get very cloudy..now i know..they thin their finish epoxy to get more penetration of the thread and thinned epoxy has much less water resistance..it absorbs the water and turns cloudy..and thinning with heat does the same thing..good article..

Date: October 11, 2019 07:55PM

Ben,
Actually, I have to slightly disagree with your statement. I don't actually know of any commercial rod builders that thin their epoxy finish and over the years, for the few commercial rods that I have used have never found an issue with a cloudy finish on the thread wraps.

But, maybe I have been lucky.

You can go out and do a search for tours of various commercial rod building factories and in none of the videos have I ever observed any finish being thinned. But, they may thin the finish but never film it.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 13, 2019 01:31AM

Roger,
Thank you for the exceptionally informative and point-blank read as to why not to attempt to alter then chemical properties of any epoxy by thinning or heating. Everyone should take serious note of the context!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: October 13, 2019 12:14PM

Roger thanks for the INFO will take it an go . will stop using it as a mix , thanks again

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2019 12:18PM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: ben belote (24.112.172.---)
Date: October 13, 2019 01:01PM

it,s interesting also that thinning affects the hardness of the final cure..the wraps are easier to get scuffed and scratched..

Posted by: Jon Hood (---)
Date: October 20, 2019 07:32AM

I have actually caused the micro bubbles during the application Process! High lathe speed, rough finish ( like carbon fiber), to much pressure at the brush = micro bubbles!???????????.
I recently started applying finish with a brush and using the small spatula to spread down the blank. Basically, I’m saying you can cause the micro bubbles during your application process! As Tom Kirkman states - get it on the blank, and leave it alone so it can do its thing!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Vincent Vu (12.207.39.---)
Date: October 24, 2019 05:06PM

sounds a lot like micro-bubbles/pinholes (during mixing and even during application) that do not level out enough for epoxy to flow back. could also be contamination, but that usually forms craters/holidays.

Some people say DNA (denatured alcohol). That would reduce the surface tension of the epoxy + can help thin the top layer of epoxy to let the air bubbles travel up faster and pop. This could also compromise the overall end result of the coating's performance. Can definitely reduce hardness of cured epoxy.

Another technique used would involve heat/flame. Heat guns could blow the epoxy to areas that you don't want coated. A gentle flame (non-direct) from a clean burning source is another option. This quickly thins the epoxy and allows for trapped air to release. This also thins the epoxy to possibly flow in and level out any pinholes. be cautious as heat will accelerate epoxy cure time, and if you use a regular lighter it does not burn clean and can leave smoke/smut marks in the epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster