I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Isolated/ Stand-Alone single-Thread Trim Bands
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 07, 2019 10:47PM

Do any of you employ single-thread trim bands which are by themselves, away from a main wrap? If so, what is your method? The tag ends of 3 or more thread trim bands can be tucked under the other threads in the usual fashion and stay in place but obviously not so with a single-thread trim band. I have done singles by crossing the tag ends and pulling them 180* and taping them down but need to incorporate Super Glue where they cross, let set for a few minutes and then trim the tag ends. The problem is the Super Glue wants to wick-up the tag ends, even when extremely careful with the amount of glue used and inserting the tips of toothpicks under the tags to elevate them from the blank. That is my novice approach but would like to learn if you veterans have a secret method (or does anybody even bother). You know me, if it is not difficult, I’ll make it so = nothing is easy for me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Isolated/ Stand-Alone single-Thread Trim Bands
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 07, 2019 10:51PM

Boy, I'm really looking forward to a good answer to this one.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2019 11:13PM

Mark, there is a article in the library by Tom K. on this very subject.

Date: October 07, 2019 11:49PM

Michael, me too.
Phil Er., I have only been able to locate information on single-thread inlays which simply rely on adding and dropping threads; not remote single-thread trim bands away from other threadwork. Can you please be more specific as to the article implied?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 07:43AM

A single turn intermediate wrap? I've no idea how to make such a thing, but I think it very possible to create the illusion of a single turn, intermediate wrap using 100 weight natural silk (not white but natural which is an "off" white) and an India ink pen in the color of your choice. Lock in the silk with 3 or 4 turns, color a length of thread equal to 1 turn with the India ink pen and allow about 1 minute to dry before making the turn, then 3 or 4 more natural color silk turns over a tie off loop. Apply a couple coats of ThreadMaster Lite finish that is 1 part resin, 1 part hardener, 1 part acetone, and the flanking, natural color silk turns will become clear leaving the illusion of a single turn, intermediate wrap. It's basically the same process for making clear or ghost wraps for a guide foot. It takes a bit of practice to color a length of silk equal to exactly 1 turn. Good luck.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 08:54AM

Like this without the guides. See the ferrule wraps.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2019 09:34AM

There is another way to do this and it has also been covered in RodMaker - paint. A fine tip brush with the paint color of your choice, just touched to the blank surface as the rod is spinning will result in a perfect, extremely narrow band around the blank. Finish is not required.

Date: October 08, 2019 11:44AM

Mark, I and I think others may have misunderstood your question.

If I now understand it correctly, you are seeking a way to do a single wrap that is a "stand alone" band entirely away from any other wrap. In other words a single band of thread somewhere on the blank.

If this is correct, I have no idea how to do it other than you mentioned method. My bigger issue is..................why? How do you use this?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 08, 2019 11:52AM

Hello Mark.

I took your blank and decide where you want it, then wrap your thread around the blank and cut where the thread comes to its self.
Next put a wet, thin coat of color preserver where you want the wrap and let it dry a few minutes till its sticky, and while you are waiting put your cut thread into a puddle of C/P, once the C/P on the blank is sticky take the thread you cut out of the C/P and wrap it around the blank on the sticky C/P (make sure the point the two ends come together is on the bottom of the blank), let it dry then epoxy.

PS: Phil, I use them to mark legal size for the type of fish I use that rod for (different color thread for different types of fish if used for more than 1 type of fish).

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 11:57AM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: October 08, 2019 04:33PM

Thanks for the replies; they are greatly appreciated. I can always count on you guys.
Donald, I have dabbled with using silk thread and even performed a few trial-runs employing the ink to color a single rotation of thread to produce a single thread appearance such as in the photo you shared. I think a single thread looks very delicate, elegant and intriguing, even when the thread is added and dropped after a single rotation in a regular wrap. However, I am looking for the best way to produce a single-thread trim, possibly two threads spaced ~ .060in apart, which is all by itself and away from anything else.
Tom, while paint would be an option, even employing the smallest brush to paint a .010in band would be extremely difficult, at least for me. Good point of no finish required though.
Phil, you are now correct; the single-thread trim, probably two threads spaced ~ .060in apart, would be remote and away from anything else. This will be used as a border on either side of an “In Memory of” decal on the ittsy-bittsy-teeny-weeny, spiral wrapped rod I built a few weeks ago and posted pictures in the photo section. The butt of the rod, which is actually a 32in tip section of a blank, is only .187in in diameter and the distance between the grip and stripper is less than 7in. With such a small space, I want the borders of the decal to be delicate and subtle rather than heavy and bold.
Robert, it is comforting to learn that I am not the only one afflicted with making things more difficult for oneself than need be. Lol You have a great idea of how to accomplish exactly what I am looking for! Although not a fan of CP, I will certainly try your method since my main objection of it would not apply for this application. It seems very promising for a few reasons: if the thread is cut cleanly and precisely, it may be possible to butt the two ends together (a slight gap may even be acceptable) to avoid the inherent offset we all typically encounter while wrapping; avoiding the need to overlap the ends would produce a bumpless band; the thread would be secured for the full rotation rather than just at the ends such as with my method. Thanks again Robert = certainly worth giving it a shot!
While a remote single-thread trim band may have limited uses and is certainly more labor-intensive than simple wraps, its subtle elegance could enhance a rod in appropriate applications. Don’t forget, nothing is easy for me (self-inflicted)!

Mark Talmo

Date: October 08, 2019 04:44PM

Mark, I like the idea of using it to frame a decal!

Date: October 08, 2019 05:49PM

Phil, I am humbly flattered by the endorsement from a respected veteran = THANKS!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 07:14PM

I don’t know about a single thread stand alone trim wrap, but a two tread trim could be done via a Clive hitch. Tack in place with a drop of color preserver, and when dry trim the tags with a razor blade. Might work.
Norm

Date: October 08, 2019 08:30PM

Norman,
Thanks for your input and insight as well. I am unfamiliar with the Clive hitch but will look it up. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, if I am going to use more than a single thread for the trim band, I might as well go for three and start and tie-off as usual. I think most of us rod builders would closely inspect a rod with remote single-thread trim bands to discover how it was performed, admittedly part of the mystique.
Now, all of you leave me alone so I can test Robert’s method. Lol

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 09, 2019 07:23AM

Mark,
I think he means clove hitch. A hitch used to tie a line quickly to a post, or rail. Used the quick release version almost every day in the Coast Guard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 10:25AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 09, 2019 08:03AM

Yes clove hitch. Fat fingers on my part!
Norm

Date: October 09, 2019 07:33PM

Mark, I just tried a variation on Robert's suggestion above. Rather than trying to handle a wet piece, already cut to length, what i did was, put down a narrow coat of CP, and when it is tacky, I wrapped a strand of thread over it fixing it into the CP. I then cut through the overlapping thread with a razor blade perpendicular to the blank, remove the tag ends and aligned the cuts. This worked very well as long as I waited long enough for the CP to get tacky.

I found it much easier then trying to handle a very short wet piece of thread around the blank. Hope this is clear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 07:36PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: October 10, 2019 03:53PM

Phil,
I have also been experimenting with Robert’s great suggestion as well. Apparently, you and I came to the same conclusion. However, I found applying the CP after the thread was wrapped around the blank to work the best for me. I then trimmed the tags and align the ends exactly as you did. My first attempt on a .625 (5/8)in diameter blank turned out so perfectly that a magnifying glass was needed to see the joint! However, when attempting to produce the same on a blank section only .187 (3/16)in, as with the micro rod I built a few weeks ago and the reason for all this in the first place, I am not having success; the thread is bent around the blank so sharply, it wants to spring up from the blank and the ends pull back from each other after cut.
I am almost done with finalizing a method to produce a twin single-thread trim band spaced .062 (1/16)in apart but it will involve the use of Super Glue as in my original attempt at all of this. I believe it will look even more elegant while allowing easier application of the finish. Utilizing the two, single-thread wraps as borders, the finish will be able to be applied in the center with only a minimal amount seeping under the threads through capillary action. Tom should be happy no masking tape is required. I should be receiving my decal today so I can determine the appropriate spacing between the two twin-single-thread-trim-band borders. I will post my findings/method along with photos after completed.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster