I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod stripping guide placement
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: October 06, 2019 09:01PM

I would like to know what the minimum distance of the stripping guide from the butt end on a 3pc 5wt fiberglass rod can be and does it really make a difference ? TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 09:02PM by ron zimmerman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod stripping guide placement
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 06, 2019 09:44PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 09:44PM by roger wilson.

Date: October 06, 2019 11:19PM

Right now the stripping guide is 17" from the butt and it's 7"s to the first guide . Will this impact anything or should I take the stripper off and relocate it . The rod is in the CP stage right now . TIA

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 07, 2019 12:00AM

You want the guide as far away as you can and still reach comfortably for the line when dropped.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 07, 2019 01:35AM

Distance stripper vs end of Grip (top) is 20" on most rod’
I Go as low as 10" and never pass 21".
On a fiberglass #5 15" to 18" should be fine (at least for me).

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 07, 2019 01:48AM

When I first learned how to build a fly rod, A custom rod builder who was also a fly rod tournament caster told me that he placed his fly rod in his casting arm and formed a right angle with his casting arm. He then reached up with his other arm and marked the place on the rod being built with his hand. That mark lets you determine the distance. I have followed that process for the sixty years I have been building fly rods and I have never found any problems. I also tape the guides on and test cast the rod and move the stripping guide an inch or so in either direction to see if the distance I cast is affected.

There may be some mathematical formula for this process, but I am quite satisfied with the results I get so I am satisfied with how I determine distance where I place the stripping guide.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 07, 2019 07:34AM

Spence and Michael are right on IMHO. Placing it closer to the butt compromises one's ability to load the rod by using the line.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2019 07:56AM

Put the stripping guide 32 inches from the butt. This will hold true for any length or line weight fly rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 07, 2019 08:39AM

Many accomplished fly casters form a circle with the thumb and forefinger of their stripping hand with the line passing through it for their first " taming guide". This allows more leeway in the placement of the first rod guide. If the fly angler doesn't cast any farther than 40' the guide placement isn't very critical.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: October 07, 2019 08:30PM

I think a fiberglass fly rod that bends more into the butt should have the stripper closer to the butt to distribute the load. Also short length rods intended for small streams usually entails short arm movements for casting and stripping. My 4-5 weight fiberglass rods ranging in length 7’, 7’4” and 7’9”!have their strippers around 26” from the butt. These are with down locking reel seats that puts the reel further back than an uplocker and at least for me my hand tends to be closer to the butt while casting. I would tape it on then do some test casting and stripping line to see what feels good to you.

Date: October 07, 2019 09:29PM

Put the stripping guide 32 inches beyond the butt. End of story. 32 inches. Period.

Date: October 07, 2019 09:53PM

Thanks Tom .

Date: October 07, 2019 09:53PM

Thanks Tom .

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 11:15AM

My Barclay Synthesis 7’9” 4-5 weight parabolic fhas the stripper placed at 26.25 inches from the butt. My Lamiglas 7’4” 4 weight cut, ferruled and built out by Fred Paddock has the stripper at 27”. Both of these rods cast very well. The Lamiglas will load and cast with barely any fly line out of the tip.

With that said many fiberglass fishers and builders tend to follow classic traditions such as Ritz, Leonard and others.

Now my LL Bean Double L 8’ 6 weight built on a Fisher fiberglass blank has the stripper right at 32”. It has an uplocking seat with a small rubber “fighting” butt . It cast fine too but I wouldn’t consider it a small stream rod and it has a much stronger butt than my other fiberglass fly rods.

For a typical 5 weight I don’t think you can go wrong from 28 to 32 inches from the butt.

Date: October 08, 2019 11:22AM

Tom, how about ending the story with an elaboration on why 32" is the magic number. For regular casting and double haul? It turns out that that dimension is where I put mine, but it's based on my arm length and casting habits.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2019 11:56AM

The stripper placement on a fly rod, has more to do with the ability to strip in line with the off hand, then with casting. This is especially true with lighter weight rods used for small to medium sized fish. Being able to strip longer lengths with the guide well up the rod is important when fighting fish that are not "on the reel." It also enables you make longer strips when retrieving line for another cast.

Date: October 08, 2019 11:26PM

The length of the rod has nothing to do with stripper guide placement. Sort of like choke guide placement on any New Guide Concept rod. It all depends on reel, line and butt guide. Rod length is of no consequence.

All the stuff about holding the rod with your casting arm at 90 degrees and then reaching up with your other hand and seeing where it reaches the blank, and locating the guide there, originated with the book I wrote for Amato Publications. It was fine, and works, but in the end and with further testing, 32 inches from the butt is as good as you're going to do. Trial and error has pretty much settled on 32 inches as the ideal, all around distance. In fact, if you were to take every commercially made fly rod available today and average the location of the butt - stripping guide, it's going to come in at roughly 32 inches.

Put your fly rod stripping guide at 32 inches from the butt and go fishing.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.w86-242.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 09, 2019 01:57AM

A fly rod is not only designed to cast, it should fish to.
Some techniques need another location for the stripper.
If at 32" it’s to far for me as I can reach it easily to grab my line when fishing’
On euro Nymph rod it’s way too far too as it don.t prevent the line from coming down when you fish with tip up.

But I aigre in most cases and for most people 32" is fine’

Date: October 09, 2019 05:01AM

Thanks, Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster