I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacbay Quad Drying Machine
Posted by: Jerme Europa (41.114.152.---)
Date: October 06, 2019 11:43AM

Hi guys,

I have decided to let my supplier import me one of the above mentioned machines. I've built me one on the same concept but needs another one and are not feeling like building another one so I'm rather buying one.

I like the idea of sliding a wheelrest out of a guide's way but I do have one question.

How do one level a blank if the machine is already on a set level? I know on small blanks its probably not much of a concern but I guess on long surf rods with a significant difference between the butt and the tip won't it become problematic?

I'm keenly waiting on advice and input from those who owns one or sells them.

Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 12:02PM by Jerme Europa.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacbay Quad Drying Machine
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 06, 2019 12:05PM

Jerme,
I just don't believe that it is an issue.

Many many folks use dryers with the butt of the rod and the tip of the rod resting on a roller or stand which have identical levels. Of course, there is the distance of 1/2 of the diameter difference in height, but it simply does not make that much difference in the drying of a rod.

All of the dryers that I use, have rod rests that are at exactly the same height as the butt of the rod, and the rods come out in perfect condition.

However, if you wish, you could always slightly elevate the tip section of the dryer when you install it so that 90% of the rods that you dry would be virtually level.

Take care

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 12:07PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: October 11, 2019 06:27AM

When you go to mount it, why dont you mount a piece or 2 of uni-strut? Puting this vertical would allow you to elevate the one side as far as you would need, you can mount a second piece horizontal so you can slide the end as far left or right as necessary.. I am working on building my own multi dryer as well, and doing 4'-10' rods poses the distance problem for me.. Simple fix.. Although, with that in mind, rlger is correct i feel, i also spin ny rods on fixed height roller stands currently, and do not have a problem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 11, 2019 06:32PM

Anthony,
4' - 10" rods should not pose a problem.

Use one rod rest for 4 foot rods.

Use two rod rests for 6 foot rods.

Use three rod rests for 10 foot rods.

This was a picture taken some years ago, when I was getting some things set up on the bench.

Note that with this 8 foot rod blank, the use of the three rod stands make it easy to support the rod at any desired level. In this case the rod rests are made by using shower door rollers and a plumbers O ring in the groove to cushion the rod. The rollers are attached to the horizontal aluminum bars which are in turn attached to a vertical aluminum strut. The strut in turn is attached to a piece of plastic cutting board. The horizontal bars are adjusted up and down as needed to level the rod.
When used on a wrapper, there is a single 1/4 inch hole drilled through the cutting board base and is attached to the board that is used as a wrapper bed.

Just some ideas.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster