I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KL-H versus KL
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---)
Date: October 05, 2019 09:30PM

I'm ordering online. How can I determine which one I need? Is determined by the size of the reel?

Building a 7 foot spinning rod. I'm using a Quantum Smoke 40. I'm using 20# braid.

Angler's Resource is a bit confusing - [anglersresource.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KL-H versus KL
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 05, 2019 10:02PM

The KL-H guides are only used for building a KR concept rod, the KL guides are used to build a New Guide Concept rod. Both will work, but I much prefer the KR concept. Use the KR GPS for doing your guide layout if doing a KR concept. Use the other GPS if doing a NGC. Look at the post below yours. If you have specific questions ask them, we are more than happy to help.
Norm

Date: October 05, 2019 10:30PM

ok so that answers that question. I guess I'll use the KR concept.

I was going to order the guide set mudhole has.

Now that brings up the question, Is there any reason I should use a 20-10-6 over 25-12-7? Spool diameter? Or is it negligible?

Date: October 05, 2019 11:02PM

Don’t use the Mudhole kit!!! Mudhole doesn’t use the proper Fuji recommended KR concept guides in their kits. With a 40 (4000) sized reel and 20 lb braid use either the 20H, 10H, and 5.5M or 25H, 12H, and 5.5M guides for the reduction train. Followed by KB/KT runners all the same size in the size of your choice, ie size 5.5, 5, or 4.5. Use at least 2 KB running guides, with the rest being KT runners. For a 7’ rod I normally use 9 guides total. If you need specific information contact me.
Norm

Date: October 05, 2019 11:31PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don’t use the Mudhole kit!!! Mudhole doesn’t
> use the proper Fuji recommended KR concept guides
> in their kits.

Wow. I was under the assumption it was a Fuji packaged product.

How can I figure out if I should use 25-12-5.5 or 20-10-5.5 with the reel I'm using?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2019 12:13AM

No they are not a Fuji kit! I have talked to Anglers Resource about this. If you are going to use a KR concept, then use Fuji’s recommendations, they did a lot of research to perfect this concept.
You can use either the KL25H or KL20H based reduction train, both will work just fine. However, the KL25H based reduction train will give you a little more versatility if you ever want to use a larger reel and/or heavier line. Vice versa if if you are planning on using lighter line and/or a smaller reel. If this going to be a fresh water bass rod, I would go with the KL20H based reduction train, if using the rod for inshore saltwater I might use the KL25H based reduction guide train. Just my personal preference. I should mention that I don’t usually use the KL25H based reduction train, for most of the rod I build using a 3000 or 4000 size reel the KL20H based reduced train, works quite well.
Norm

Date: October 06, 2019 12:27AM

PS - I should have mentioned earlier that the KL-H guides for the same ring size have a higher frame than the KL guides. Thus they are considered small ring high frame guides. For example, a size KL20H is about the same height as a KL25. The height plus smaller ring helps to better control and choke the line loops coming off the reel.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 06, 2019 09:01AM

Good advice from Norman. The Fuji catalog acesssed through one of the links on the AnglersResource site, has recommended KLH combinations for different line weights. I can't remember the detail, but the KLH 20 goes up pretty high in braid pound test, and I've never used a KLH25. I, like Norman, use the KLH20 based reduction train for higher braid tests, the KLH16 for lighter. I expect the article in the blog about KLH is still there and good to read.

Good choice going Fuji, so many choices to match about anything you want to do, and some at very reasonable prices yet high performance.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 06, 2019 03:07PM

Which to me begs the question: why would the most highly visible component supplier provide "kits" for the most highly touted guide system (KR) containing the wrong sizes? Doesn't seem it would take much of an effort to correct this oversight and get everybody on the same page. Before anyone jumps on me regarding complaining about a board sponsor, I'm just providing helpful criticism.

Date: October 06, 2019 05:51PM

Lynn, I agree it’s been tried but to no avail. I think they are trying to modify the KR to be more NGC-like.
Norm

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: October 07, 2019 03:05AM

Norm, let me ask you this. With the rod I'm building Fuji suggest a 6L. My rod will be used for winter steelhead and I've had my guides guides iced up and very annoyed. I was wanting to use size 7 running guides to see if that helps a little. I use chapstick on my guides but sometimes forget. Will 7's change much?

Date: October 07, 2019 10:39AM

I live in the South and usually don’t have icing problems. If it’s that cold, I wait an hour or two for it to warm up. Using size seven runners is getting out of the KR micro concept and into a more conventional concept. You could go with a NGC, or use a conventional KR set up using one of the following KR reduction trains, followed by KT7 runners:
KL20H, KL10H, KL7M
KL25H, KL12H, KL7M
KL25H, KL12H, KL8M, KL7L
These are Fuji recommended grouping, which came from Anglers Resource. This article makes good reading.
[anglersresource.net]
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster