I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sand and spray paint a Blank
Posted by: Dennis Herold (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: October 02, 2019 08:05PM

Wanting to know what grit sandpaper to use to sand a blank. And also can I use Valspar spray paint. And can I spray a coat of clear Urethane With UV in it Thanks Dennis

Re: Sand and spray paint a Blank
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 02, 2019 09:17PM

I don't paint blanks, but it seems to me I've read about it on the forum a few times, look around a little, you should be able to turn something up.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: October 03, 2019 08:21AM

Do you plan to put on an undercoat of primer paint first?

Posted by: Don Mang (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2019 08:52AM

I have painted a few, I scuffed them some with a 3M pad, and light sanding I believe I used 1200 paper. I painted them with Krylon Fusion all-in-one paint, takes awhile to cure (1 week for me). After the paint (2) I used Perma gloss, turned out nice. The other I used Max 2k clear glamour, Only because restored a Mitchell reel, and needed Max 2k clear glamour (a car clear coat in a spray). The reel paint seems very hard, I usually bake paint on restores. The Fusion with perma gloss is holding up very well, but it hasn't had a lot of abuse. Haven't used the 2K rig yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 10:30AM by Don Mang.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 03, 2019 10:14AM

Dennis - Do you mean "sand a blank" as in preparing it to be painted, or sanding a non-tubular ice fishing blank to tune the action?

I haven't used it a lot, but the Rustoleum 2X spray paint series has worked well for painting blanks. If possible, I prefer to stay with the same primer/paint/clear series to avoid potential compatibility issues caused by using multiple brands of products.

Date: October 03, 2019 10:47AM

Yes Mark I want to sand some old blanks that has been sitting around for years and spray paint them and then a coat of clear.And Don't know what grit sandpaper to use.

Posted by: Shane Jarvis (161.7.207.---)
Date: October 03, 2019 12:59PM

I sanded down a white blank down to raw carbon. I used 150 to remove the paint, this was the most work of the whole process. Then I quickly sanded with 180,220,320,and 400. Then I hit it with a maroon 3m pad, cleaned with acetone and put down my base coat. I then used a 2k clear for the final coat. I have used a few times and it is holding up great.

Hope that helps

Date: October 03, 2019 04:30PM

Shane what is 2k clear please? Thanks Dennis

Date: October 03, 2019 06:43PM

Sorry Double Post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 06:45PM by Shane Jarvis.

Date: October 03, 2019 06:44PM

Dennis Herold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shane what is 2k clear please? Thanks Dennis
Sorry a 2k clear is an automotive urethane clear coat that uses an activator/hardener. The 2k means 2 components ( I know makes no sense) If you have access to a spay gun you buy a quart kit for around $60 on amazon, it usually mixes 4:1. Or you can get a can of SprayMaxx use that although you will have some waste. I used between 2.5 oz and 3 oz to clear the 7' rod I painted. So you would waste some to the Aresol can, because once mixed it has a pot life and the rest will be wasted.

Here is a good video describing 1k and 2k clear
[www.youtube.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Hope those links work

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 03, 2019 06:51PM

If you use Citri-Strip paint remover as your 1st step you'll save your self a lot of sanding time . You may be able to get all the old finish off with a scotchbrite pad. Less chance of blank damage. Paint it on, hang it up, and leave it over night. It won't hurt the blank. You may have to repeat the process but it's well worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 07:01PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: October 03, 2019 08:53PM

Anyone using Max 2K clear, MUST use a protective mask!!! JUST SAYING

Date: October 04, 2019 09:20AM

Don Mang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone using Max 2K clear, MUST use a protective
> mask!!! JUST SAYING

That is absolutely correct. I can't believe I forgot to put that in my post.

Date: October 04, 2019 09:54AM

For painting I usually use a dust/mist masks. But for this I highly recommend a Face Air Purifying Respirator.

Date: October 04, 2019 10:55AM

Shane I seen this online is this the product you guys are talking about. This is in a spray can Spraymax 2K clear coat ,Clear Glamour High Gloss 3680061 11.8 Oz can. Thanks Dennis

Date: October 04, 2019 11:09AM

Dennis that is what I'm talking about. If you'd like to email me (Subjuct line 2K). I can send you photos of the rods I did with this product.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: October 04, 2019 05:51PM

Adding weight to rods, especially toward the tip, with wrappings, decorations, guides, and paint can be quickly noticed in the performance of lighter rods and especially in the performance of fly rods. A half-ounce of weight in the top half of a fly rod is the difference between a chuck-and-duck bait rod and an heirloom. Is there a guide for the target weight of an eight foot #7 fly rod or spin rod for 1/2 oz lures or casting rod for 2 oz. lures? A ballpark figure would at least give rod builders a reference point - a refuge in the advertisers' world of "smooth, fast, powerful, light," and "soulful".

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2019 09:19PM

Spray Max can be ordered in almost any automotive color so you can color and gloss in one step.

Date: October 10, 2019 10:48AM

Lynn I bought the Citristrip and it said in the directions not to use on vinyl ,plastic or Fiberglass.I have E-Glass blanks I want to strip will this be ok to use? Thanks Dennis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster