I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Blue Tape Contributing to Contamination Woes?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 03, 2019 11:26PM

50 years ago, I learned to ASSUME = makes an ASS out of U and ME! It is frustrating and embarrassing to admit I do not always follow the lesson (which should have been) learned. Maybe when I grow up I’ll get better. I assumed using a blue painters tape would produce an even better result than my tried-and-true previous process but it came back to bite me in the butt.
Lynn, thank you for the kind words. While I was 95% certain the blue tape was the offender, Larry Pollock’s post was the deciding factor which drove the nail in the coffin; he needs to be commended as well.
James, while you offer a valid point to consider concerning contamination sources, I am now confident the source in this case is the formula 3M uses with their new blue tape.
Phil, thank you as well. Using a contaminated tape to even “tack threads to the blank for trims” will get on the builder’s fingers and may (probably will) eventually contaminate the wrap. I think this aspect may have added to Larry’s scenario.
Allow me to clarify and verify that the decals from MudHole or Decal Connection, as well as the CTS Crystal Coat thread finish was NOT the source of the contamination problems described above. They are all great products.
So, there you have it. Contamination can come from even the least expected source. Assuming you have it all under control (such as I did) can come back to bite you in the buttocks.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 04, 2019 10:16AM

Sounds like the problem has been identified with the particular tape using a different adhesive than it used in the past.

Good information.

Posted by: ben belote (24.112.172.---)
Date: October 04, 2019 11:52AM

i have learned that by using CP i don,t have to be concerned about where contamination comes from..it,s been cancelled out of the equation..the same with bubbles in wraps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 04, 2019 03:40PM

Well Mark and Larry, you saved me. About 2 weeks ago I found a roll of 3M painter tape my son got to do trim work on his truck and put it in with my rodbuilding stuff. Just looked at it and sure enough 2093. Luckily, (I hope) I laid it inside my regular roll of masking tape but not contacting it on a sheet of paper. I'm hoping this contamination does not spread too easily. If it' s on the tape adhesive it's also on the blue back side of the tape. I may have marked a reelseat location on a new blank with this tape, not sure, what should I use to clean the blank prior to building just in case? If I clean blanks at all prior to building I usually use U-40 brush cleaner.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 04, 2019 05:56PM

If using it to simply mark a reel seat location I don't think anything more than the usual ScotchBrite treatment to get good epoxy bonding is required. U40 brush cleaner has to be a pretty complex mix of chemicals, some of which are designed to break down epoxy, so I wouldn't use it on a blank to clean it.

Date: October 04, 2019 07:38PM

U-40 brush cleaner is recommended to be used for cleaning blanks prior to building. It's in the product description on the web site with the epoxies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 07:42PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: October 04, 2019 09:43PM

Lynn, if I only save one person from the aggravation I encountered, then it was worth the effort! I have not used U40 Brush Cleaner but if Ralph O’Quinn formulated it, it must be good. I have always used acetone with anything related to composites, obviously epoxy included. Tom may disagree, and I totally understand his position if not even agree, but the acetone wipe-down prior to applying the third attempt to coat my logo is what saved me and the build.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 05, 2019 06:50AM

Thanks, Lynn. Didn't know that, do now.

Date: October 05, 2019 11:55AM

Lynn and Michael, without having the product description/ directions of U40 Brush Cleaner as Lynn suggested reading, I have adopted Tom, Roger, possibly Ralph O”Quinn and others recommendation, if not insistence, of scoffing the surface after the application of any solvent, be it U40, acetone, DNA and such; it simply makes good, practical sense. Obviously, I could not scoff the decal in my scenario and, so, applied the finish right after the wipe-down (including a degas period) with acetone. Thankfully, it worked.

Mark Talmo

Date: October 05, 2019 09:20PM

Thanks Mark, I have acetone also. Whatever cures it I'm all for it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster