I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracks in thread finnish
Posted by: Peter Uveges (24.114.80.---)
Date: September 29, 2019 02:21PM

Hairline cracks at the end of guide feet, what is the cause?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracks in thread finnish
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 03:09PM

Is it a off the rack rod?

Date: September 29, 2019 04:39PM

No, it's my build

Posted by: Norman Miller (12.252.106.---)
Date: September 29, 2019 05:20PM

Most probably color preserver. The epoxy sits on top of the CP and hairline cracks may show up.when stressed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 05:56PM

Photo possible? I've never seen cracks at the foot. Usually they may form under the ring.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2019 06:05PM

Very common. The guide doesn't flex at the same rate the rod blank does. They tend to be in opposition to each other. Some remedies include tapering the ends of the guide feet to the most shallow angle possible. This allows some flex in the actual guide foot. You can also use a bit more thread tension (within reason) which will negate some of the movement between guide foot and rod blank.

It is almost impossible to entirely eliminate such hairline cracking, particularly on areas of a rod blank that experience severe flex.

Date: September 29, 2019 06:31PM

Not common on my rods. I must be unknowingly doing something right.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 06:40PM

The UV curing finish used on some rods now can also do it.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 06:43PM

Michael, i bet you use locking wraps..they keep the whole guide stable stable when bumped.

Date: September 29, 2019 06:43PM

Michael, i bet you use locking wraps..they keep the whole guide stable stable when bumped.

Date: September 29, 2019 07:49PM

I think your right Tom, i remember wrapping them looser at the tips to try and cover the metal shine cause of the hard angle. Did same mistake on two rods, will take it off, grind and tight wrap. Thanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2019 08:52PM

Don't wrap too tight! Just very snug is enough. You should still be able to move the guide with firm side pressure in order to align it. If you can't, you're too tight.

A much thinner, shallower foot angle will be the ticket.

Date: September 29, 2019 09:56PM

Yes, I use locking wraps on single foot guides. When I get done the guides can be moved with firm side pressure.

Date: September 30, 2019 12:27AM

Thanks Tom.

Date: September 30, 2019 11:53AM

most of the cracks that i have seen were in the butt area guides where the rod flexes the least but the guides are flexed the most by heavily loaded fishing lines..that,s probably why lock wrap works..it keeps the guide from flexing so much

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.52.215.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 08:39PM

You used Flex-Coat it does that and it does not like rod stress but you can simple give it a lite sanding and re-coat it to finish over those cracks.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2019 11:06AM

I think it is easy to blame the finish, no matter what brand, but, as said earlier, the rod blank, the guide foot, the thread and the finish all come together to form this structure and all have different materials and flexing rates. Most notably the blank and the metal guide foot which are pulling away from each other to put enormous stress in a very small area of the thread and finish. When measured and mixed properly, Flex Coat has a great balance of flexibility, toughness, hardness, workability, and UV resistance.

We have found a good solution is to start the guide wrap as close as possible to the tip of the guide foot, maybe just a few wraps before climbing the foot tip. Also, using a darker thread helps as well as "good" thread tension.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: October 05, 2019 02:57PM

I use Flex Coat Lite and have no cracks.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 05, 2019 09:23PM

Yeah, don't blame Flex Coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster