I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Top water popping rod suggestions
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 07:37PM

I have a customer who throws larger top water lures for rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay. The only problem I am having is that he wants a blank between 6' and 6'6". I am up for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top water popping rod suggestions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2019 07:40PM

A Hot Shot blank, provided it has a fast tip, might be your ticket, although it's hard to find them in such a short length. I'm afraid he's put you in a tight situation given the short length he's asking for.

Date: September 26, 2019 07:43PM

I know what he has done, I might just tell him to try a longer rod or switch techniques.

Date: September 26, 2019 07:58PM

As the builder, you may have to advise him on the possible advantages of a longer rod - longer casts, easier manipulation of the fish, etc.

The only advantage I can see with the shorter rod is the ability to exert more leverage on the fish (or the fish being unable to exert more leverage on the fisherman. One is ahold of a first order lever, the other is ahold of a third order lever. All depends on which end you're on.

If he insists on a 6'6" rod, then some sort of mag bass blank in a 4 or 5 power is probably about all you can do. I'm assuming that the rockfish he's targeting are in the 10+ pound range.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2019 08:55PM

By "rock fish" I am assuming striped bass? If so, the first question I would ask is, what kind of boat is he fishing out of? I ask because if he is fishing out of a boat that is similar to a bass boat, meaning a boat with a deck lower to the water, then I can totally understand the want of a shorter rod.

My experience fishing for rock fish (striped bass) is limited to shore fishing Percy Priest reservoir near Nashville Tennessee. I usually either fished a rather large pencil popper, or a large minnow bait that I would reel slow enough that it would create a V wake along the surface. When I fished the pencil popper, I had my best results when I fished it very aggressively. I had to rip it with the rod tip down. so a shorter rod was the only way to go. I realize I was on shore, but the same thing goes for working a bait with the rod tip down when fishing out of my bass boat. It's just easier and much less tiring. My jerk bait rod is 6' long, as is the rod I use for fishing walking baits and poppers. I just find it easier with a shorter rod.

Anyhow ........ you did say you are open to any suggestions, and my suggestion would be a blank from North Fork Composites. I understand the problems people are having getting blanks in a timely matter, but they have a blank that I think would work perfectly for what this customer is looking for. I would chose the MB 669-1. It's available in their SM and IM series of blanks. As it's a topwater rod and sensitivity isn't that important, I'd go with the SM series.

6'6" long, rated for 3/8 - 2 oz baits, with a moderate fast action. I built a rod on the MB 709, (the 7' version) that I use for flipping and pitching for bass, and I truly believe it would be perfect for your situation. It has gobs of power, and the mod fast action will help with treble hooked baits. If the NFC hasn't scared you away, and you're concerned about it being able to handle the size fish he may run into which from what I have read, could be as high as 50 lbs. I have caught 2 flat head catfish with the rod I built on the MB709, one of them being a 15 - 18 lb fish, the other a 22 - 25 lb fish, and it handled those fish beautifully. I realize we are talking freshwater cat fish versus saltwater striped bass, but unless you're talking fish that are regularly over 30 lbs, I truly think the MB 669 would do the job beautifully.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 11:15PM

Look at the higher powered MHX Shooter blanks.

Date: September 27, 2019 06:17AM

I have an elite x shooter blank and love it, also have used it for topwater. Judging by the pictures he sends me these rockfish are tiny. I fish the same bay and most topwater fish are 15-25 inches. The bigger ones are a little lazy and wait for an easy meal. I will just let him know what his options are and you can topwater with a Mag blank, its just not as much feedback. I will also look at NFC blanks, I am not to worried about the wait, topwater season is almost over.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2019 08:55AM

Hello John, besides the 6' MHX Shooter Rod Blanks [www.mudhole.com] The MB784-MHX, a 6'6" blank is used by many anglers that fish the Chesapeake Bay area for Rockfish/Stripers [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2019 09:09AM

Another option would be the Point Blank PB691MHXF. They are great blanks, and make into very nice rod for working top water baits, I’ve used them for catching redfish in the Mississippi and Louisiana marshes.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (72.239.229.---)
Date: September 27, 2019 11:28AM

The customer is always right. You could try to suggest a longer rod in the presence of a third party, but eventually you have to give the customer what he wants. My experience has been the customer who shuns advice or research is the customer who wants to return his purchase for a full refund.

Date: September 27, 2019 11:45AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The customer is always right. You could try to
> suggest a longer rod in the presence of a third
> party, but eventually you have to give the
> customer what he wants. My experience has been the
> customer who shuns advice or research is the
> customer who wants to return his purchase for a
> full refund.

I have had the exact reverse experience - for me, it's been the customer that asked me for something that although I knew was wrong, I built anyway and then the customer wanted to return the rod because it wouldn't do what he wanted - even though it was built to his specs. After a few of those, I started refusing to do things that I knew wouldn't work well and sent such customers to my competitors.

Now this isn't saying that the OP's customer is on the wrong track. He may have some need or experience with such a short rod in that situation and knows it'll work. But it pays to get all the information you can from a customer and not be shy about questioning or suggesting better possible solutions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2019 03:00PM

We don't know what he's fishing from if the boat has no casting decks and he is fishing from the main deck I've found shorter rods that don't strike the water an advantage. Fishing from any boat where I'm low in the water I modify my rod length to match the situation vs modifying my presentation.

Date: September 28, 2019 08:31PM

He is fishing from a 19 foot center console. I think the Mag Bass and all these great suggestions will work, now I just have to teach him the do's and don'ts. High sticking, past 45, ect.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: October 08, 2019 03:53PM

If the customer needs a rod blank with durability check out the Rod Geeks X Comps. I picked up a 730 blank awhile back but haven’t had the time to build it out yet with life getting in the way. When I do I will trim it down to 7’ for inshore, channel catfish and striped bass out of a kayak. It can be trimmed down to 6’6” with no reduction in power but I am sure it will slow the action down some but uncut it is certainly fast action. The 7’3” blank is only 3oz and has plenty of power starting mid down going into the butt. Cutting it down 9” will reduce the weight at least .5 oz. I still wouldn’t recommend your customer to high stick with this blank but I would bet with the S glass more towards the tip it can handle abuse more than any carbon fiber rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster