I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting odm nex114
Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.sub-174-254-65.myvzw.com)
Date: September 26, 2019 01:20PM

Has anyone ever cut anything off the tip of odm nex114? Its 11'3/4-4oz i want to stiffen it a bit but its already built dont really want to strip anything just yet so thinking about cutting back to first running guide about 5.5" from tip. Its just too loose for throwing above 2ish oz. At about that weight and up its so whippy ive had it hit rocks after cast because of the whip. I dont need to throw 3/4 oz with an 11'. Its moderate action do theres plenty of rod action dont think 5.5" will ruin the action but want to see if anyone has experiemce cutting this blank? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting odm nex114
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2019 01:54PM

Ruin the action? Depends on what you mean by ruin. It will slow the action and while you may not think so, cutting 5-1/2 inches from the tip of most any rod will have a drastic effect. Try hanging a casting weight from the first guide and lightly go through a casting motion. See how it feels for you.

Posted by: Brett DeNicola (---.sub-174-254-65.myvzw.com)
Date: September 26, 2019 02:01PM

Just mean i dont want it to change it too drastically. I know 5.5 seems like alot to cut but the rod bends probably atleast halfway down the blank. Will try that thank you

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 09:10PM

I'd cut 2.5" and try it. You can cut it twice as easily as once. A blank's a blank when it comes to cutting. Some would say never cut from the tip, that's bull if you can make it do what you want.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2019 01:56AM

If the rod is whipped and doesn't have the power to throw over 2 1/2 oz. cutting the blank won't help.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2019 12:35PM

Brett,
If it were my rod, I would do the following.
I would remove the tip.

Then, without cutting the rod blank, I would temporarily tie on a guide that is 1 inch down from the tip and go casting.
If you don't like it. Then, I would move the guide down to 1 1/2 inches form the tip and go casting.
If you don't like it, I would move the guide down to 1 3/4 inches from the tip and go casting.
If you don't like it, I would move the guide down to 2 inches from the tip and go casting.
If you don't like it, I would move the guide down to 2 1/4 inches from the tip and go casting. etc. etc. etc.

This take time - yes. But, by testing using this method, you are not damaging or changing the blank.

I always say that the first 2-3 inches of the tip of the rod is really the heart of the rod.

Depending on the particular blank, even removing 1/2 inch from the tip of the blank can change the rod so drastically as to make it almost useless for its intended purpose.

By not cutting the blank, and just moving a top down from the tip top you can emulate the action of the rod that you will get by having a shorter rod for both your casting and your catching.

Remember, casting is just one part of the rod equation. You also want to have the rod do everything else that it is supposed to do. i.e. to be able to see or feel the bite, and also have the necessary power in the rod to successfully fight and land the fish.

Best wishes.

p.s.
Since the rod is already built, go fishing with it a dozen times and then make a decision on any changes that might be needed in the rod. The rod in its current state might very well surprise you at how well it casts and catches fish when you are on the water.

p.p.s.

Then, if you really want to find out what the rod will fish like with a shorter rod, restring your line through the guides, but do not run the line through the tip. Rather fish the rod, with the top conventional guide being the tip top of the rod. So, see what the rod fishes like when the tip of the rod is where the current first guide from the tip top is now currently located. This should give you an extreme example of how the rod works with a much shorter tip on the rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 27, 2019 08:06PM

If cutting 1 " off an 11' blank changes it noticeably this will be my last post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster