I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selecting guides for 10-20# spinning rod
Posted by: jonathan mclin (138.162.0.---)
Date: September 26, 2019 03:38PM

I am fairly new to building a rod from scratch, i have done many repairs but generally just replace exactly what comes off. So i want to build a new rod from scratch for my brother. I picked up a 7' rainshadow blank rated from 10-20# and plan to use a shimano 4000 size reel with 30lbs braid. I am leaning towards fuji alconite kit that comes with BYAG-30J/16J/10J/8LJ & 2ea BLAG7J & 3ea BLAG6J. Would this be a decent setup or is there a much better reccomendation out there? The rod will be used for mostly inshore saltwater casting artificial swim baits for red fish and stripped bass
Thank you for any reply, i am having a hard time searching for this info here although i know that it has been covered many times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selecting guides for 10-20# spinning rod
Posted by: Chris Feagan @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 04:02PM

Hey Jonathan, take a look at American Tackle's new MW20 lineup. Duralite option would be a good fit. Here us the link.

[www.americantackle.us]

Chris Feagan
800-516-1750 EX 1208
chrisfeagan@americantackle.us

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 08:39AM

Another good possibility is the Fuji KLH reduction train- go to Anglers Resource in the left margin, click on catalog, download and go to page 9 for options based on your line preference. All I use now on spin is Fuji KLH (rods like you're building and lighter). Both the Amtac and Fuji systems are partially based on higher guides, which would be appropriate for the 4000 size reel. With all single foot guides, especially the tall ones, I recommend the Forhan locking loop, which is a piece of cake to wrap and ensures that the guides will stay put.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.103.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 12:50PM

Both Michael D and Chris F above gave great choices. You won't go wrong with either.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 12:53PM

Using the BYAG reduction guides with the BLAG runners would be considered a New Guide Concept (NGC). The use of KL-H reduction guides with KB/KT runners would be considered a KR concept. Both concepts will work just fine for what you want to do. However, I prefer the KR concept because it will be lighter, and I think it will performs better. The KR concept was designed for use with braid in mind, and uses a rapid choke and smaller running guides. The KL25H stripper is the same height as the Y30, and the KL20H stripper is the same height as the Y25.
If you want to use the KR concept guides, don’t buy the Mudhole KR kits! The KR reduction train groupings are based on guide height. For your rod you could use either the KL25H, KL12H, and KL5.5M group or the KL20H, KL10H, and KL5.5M group. Both will work great, the 25H based reduction grouping will give you a little more versatility. The reduction guides would be followed by KB/KT running guides all the same size, in the size of your choice (I.e. 5.5, 5, or 4.5). The first two (at least) running guides after the reduction train guides would be KB guides, which are followed by KT running guides. The KB ‘belly’ guides have a longer and wider foot which better withstands the pull out forces generated in the ‘belly’ of the rod. The KT guides have a thinner and shorter foot and were designed to be used in the ‘tip’ section of the rod where pullout forces are much lower. In addition, the KR guides come in a corrosion control finish at no extra cost, and this finish will work very well in a salt water water environment. For laying out the guide train the KR GPS at Anglers Resource will give you a very good starting point.
[anglersresource.net]
Norm

Posted by: jonathan mclin (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 29, 2019 01:15AM

These answers have been a great help guys, thank you all very much!!! I will have to do some price shopping and possibly I will need to build 2 so I can determine which I like better for future builds

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 05:53PM

My 2 cents. Use the BYAG for larger spinning reels and mono. Use the KLH for smaller reels and braid.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster