I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

World's Smallest Spiral Wrapped Rod???
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 25, 2019 04:48PM

Hello to all and I hope you find this a pleasant departure from the typical questions and answers. Please find photos in the photo section under Miscellaneous, Mark’s Mini Spiral Wrapped Rod. I apologize for the quality of the photos but such is the best I can afford.
My simple hope is that all of you find this project entertaining and possibly chuckle-enhancing. While light-hearted from a serious, practical aspect and I doubt it will become my go-to rod, I will fish it in the Sierra for trout and may just take it on some tuna trips just for the amusement factor. We all need to do little things to keep ourselves and others around us amused or life can become a real drag (not to be confused with a “reel drag” which is a braking mechanism within a fishing line holding apparatus)!
Specs: 32in long, 0.8 oz (2.7oz with spooled reel attached), KB 5 stripper, size 2 runners of unknown brand (courtesy of Norman Miller), MC 4.5 tip top (would have preferred a 4.0 LG but had this one in stock), Tennessee handle comprised of really nice cork Norman purchased for me at the Expo and incorporating my own tapered, woven carbon/Kevlar slip rings (I couldn’t find a small enough conventional reel seat for the tiny Diawa reel anyway). The reel was purchased in Japan 30 years ago by a good friend (RIP) visiting relatives and given to me upon return. While we may not consider them worthy, apparently these micro reels are quite prevalent in Japan. The blank is a leftover tip section of a vintage Conolon blank used as a donor to produce spigots for another build. I have found by positioning the stripper at 25-30* and the next guide 165-170* off vertical/top, I can essentially get the line to the bottom in a very short distance, the line flows in the straightest path both in the X and Y orientation, and the line does not touch the blank.
This site and many of its members, Tom K. in particular, are responsible for introducing me to spiral wrapped rods. I have acknowledged and experienced the profound benefits. I am on a crusade to enlighten and convert as many as possible out here on the left coast. For whatever reason, it continues to be a hard sell out here.
So there you go, like it or laugh at it (hopefully both). ENJOY!!! One way or the other, hopefully it sparks many comments to follow!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: World's Smallest Spiral Wrapped Rod???
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2019 06:15PM

Hate to break the news, but Chris Ward has been building tiny rods for at least 20 years. Hopefully you can get some fish on the one which you built

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 25, 2019 07:37PM

Is this rod the subject of your Muy.Muy micro tip post?

Date: September 25, 2019 08:20PM

Billy,
It is comforting to learn I am not the only one afflicted with the desire to build such. What does Chris use for reels? I have caught a trout with the reel years ago but haven’t had the opportunity to employ this rod.
Lynn,
Si, bueno.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 10:25AM

Most important question is how does it cast?
Norm

Date: September 26, 2019 01:47PM

Norman,
I am confident you are not questioning the casting distance due to the spiral wrapped guides. Casting distance is always a major concern and it has been observed the shorter the rod the shorter the casting distance; a 32in rod will not cast as far as an 84in rod. Unfortunately, I have a much larger issue with this set-up; the Diawa Coronet Mini reel is a “Knuckle-Buster” in that it only employs an on-or-off anti-reverse with no drag or free-spool. With the handle being directly connected to the spool, letting line out turns the handle as well (obviously in reverse) which severely limits casting distance. These reels were designed for simply dropping the bait straight down/vertical jigging (or similar with the technique the girl employed in Roger Wilson’s post below this one). Before taking it fishing, I plan on making a thumb-nut to replace the lock-nut holding the handle to the shaft so that the handle can be removed for casting then somewhat quickly remounted; without the unbalanced rotational weight, it should cast much further. Thumbing the spool through the small opening will be interesting if not challenging.

Mark Talmo

Date: September 26, 2019 03:26PM

Boy, casting that rod sounds like a chore. I was just wondering how the line ran through those tiny guides. What the heck are you going to use it for? Or is it going to just be a conversation piece. Might be a fun rod if you had a decent reel.
Norm

Date: September 26, 2019 04:16PM

Norman,
The main reason I built this rod is simply because I can, thanks to all I have learned from many, you included, on this site. Secondly, the gracious gifts from you and my Japanese friend deserved to be used, especially in memory of my friend. While admittedly not last on the list, the shock and/or fun-factor aspect, “conversation piece” as you said, made building it enjoyable while anticipating the rod producing many smiles down the road.
This rod/reel will work fine as is for vertical jigging from a boat in the Sierra for trout. You are certainly correct in that casting it any reasonable distance will probably be a “chore” with having to remove the handle and remount it after the cast. I am still pondering the possibilities. I agree a “decent reel” would be preferred which is why I asked Billy Vivona what reels Chris Ward employs on his mini rods. Hopefully Billy replies.
I do not foresee any problems with the line (probably 2#, possibly 4#) flowing through the miniscule #2 guides. The only problem with the guides is wrapping them; I hated wrapping each and every one lol!
In the meantime, I hope the rod and reel puts smiles on people’s faces. And, yes, I will most certainly fish it and will most certainly have a smile on my face!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 26, 2019 08:16PM

Drill a hole in the ice and you're all set! Nice job!

Date: September 26, 2019 09:06PM

They do make UL casting reels they are called Bait Finesse System (BFS) reels. They are extremely light but come with a hefty price tag.
Norm

Date: September 27, 2019 12:44AM

Lynn,
Love your response! You are often entertaining and your reply is a prime example! Unfortunately, the only ice I can find out here in LALA Land is at ice skating rinks and they would probably frown on drilling.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster