I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Touches Guide Wrap Epoxy
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: September 24, 2019 07:35PM

I just finished building a multi-piece rod with tip over butt ferrules. I am pretty pleased with the outcome but I have one issue that I need to address. One of the female ferrules touches the guide wrap epoxy on the adjoining male ferrule. I am concerned that possibly over time or maybe right away when I really tighten the two pieces together, that the epoxy will get damaged cosmetically (this will for sure happen and worse if the female ferrule gets pushed up slightly over the epoxy it may crack the ferrule. Can I just cut 1/8" off the female ferrule? This will fix the issue. The guide wrap epoxy can not be changed as it barely touches the blank past the wrap. Well I suppose I could remove that wrap and rewrap it shorter but I don't want to do that for cosmetic reasons.

Yes i know I should have done the thread wrap shorter but I didn't realize until I was done that the two pieces were not connected all the way tight together...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Touches Guide Wrap Epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2019 07:48PM

It will also keep the ferrule from self-adjusting as it wears and you'll have a mis-fit where it will be hard to keep the tip section on the butt section.

Best bet would be remove the guide and relocate it a quarter inch or so lower on the rod. Or if you can make it work, move it entirely onto the female ferrule.

Otherwise, trimming 1/8 inch from the end of the female ferrule will get you by without any undue harm.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 07:57PM

If you cut it, wrap the ferrule.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: September 24, 2019 08:00PM

I love this site. Five minutes and I have answers from the exerts. Thanks Guys.

Date: September 25, 2019 07:50PM

I would also lightly chamfer the inside edge of the newly cut ferrule with very fine (600- 800 grit paper) to help keep from scratching the male section. I'd likely wrap and finish the ferrule before I cut it.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: September 26, 2019 02:24PM

Thanks Lynn. I already chamfered the interior edge after the cut, but I used a round rat-tail file. I wrapped the ferrules and epoxy is on. I really like how this rod turned out, only my third complete build. Now I just need to figure out how to match epoxied threads with the blank color. I did test wraps with alcohol, but still didn't end up with a good match that I wanted. One thing I learned is to not do color matching indoors. After I took the finished rod outside in the sun the color of the blank was considerably different than under my shop lights. Inside the blank was a beautiful dark sapphire blue. Outside it was a blue-green. Made a considerable difference in matching up with the epoxied threads. The combo is kind of blah instead of striking. Live and learn!

I am heading to Mexico tomorrow for two weeks so I will get to test out this rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2019 02:25PM by Bob Ginther.

Date: September 26, 2019 08:19PM

The learning never stops, the hard part is remembering what's learned!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2019 09:49AM

Amen!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster