I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Conventional Rod Build. Guide Question
Posted by: David Lee (158.71.78.---)
Date: September 24, 2019 09:40AM

As the title states this will be my first conventional rod build. I'm finding myself second guessing what guide setup I should use.

Blank Specs:
NFC IM Mag Bass, 7ft, Mag Heavy, MF - Reel: Okuma Citrix
NFC IM Mag Bass, 7ft, Med H, F - Reel: Shimano Curado

Mudhole sells a Fuji Guide Kit and I was wondering if this would be the way to go for both rods, or if there's other more optimal set ups available.

Mudhole Set:
KW 7, KW 6, KT 5 (8)

I definitely want to stick with micro guides with a size no smaller than 5. Your suggestions and feedback would go a long way. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Conventional Rod Build. Guide Question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 09:57AM

I would place the stripper about 20” in front of the reel. For the guides I would use KW10, KW5.5, KB5 (2 or 3), and KT5 (5 or 6). This would be the recommendation given by Fuji for a KR concept. If you want to spend more for the guides then you can use the RV6 for the stripper followed by either a KW5.5 or KB5.5. The RV6 only comes in a titanium frame, and is also recommended by Fuji as a stripper for a KR concept build. Both the KW10 and RV6 are of the proper height to help control the line coming off the reel. If the stripper is too low then there can be line slap on the blank.
Norm
PS - I personally don’t like the Mudhole KR guide kits, they do not use a Fuji recommended guide train. Fuji put a lot of research into KR concept, and it works extremely well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 10:16AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 11:00AM

Dave,
Micro guides are smaller than 5 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm guides have been in on the shelf in the US long before the micro guides came out. 4 mm spinning guides have been used in Europe and Japan for decades, right after WW II. In the US since the 70s at least. All my lighter powered stellhead spinning rods have used them since I started building way back when.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 11:13AM

Spencer is correct, a size 5 runner is considered on the large end for micro guides. I normally use size 4.5 or 4. Some prefer really small guides down to size 3 to 2 mm. I personally do not care for guides smaller than a 4. However, the 5s will perform quite well. It’s all a matter of personal preference. Build what you are happy with, after all it’s a custom rod.for you.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 12:17PM

Go to the Anglrers Resource site in the left margin and do some study. Watch the video. I agree that using sets is not the way to go. I have made quite a few casting rods with the Fuji Rv6 with the rest of the guides all the same size. They all cast very well. For a medium or heavier power rod I use the RV followed by usually 3 or 4 KB's, then KT's to the end. I like the big foot on the stouter casting rods. I use 5 1/2's for most casting rods, certainly would not go below 5's. These rods are not finesse rods, so going really small has no significant advantages over the 5's or 5 1/2's.

Don't worry about "micro" nomenclature. It really has little meaning.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 08:24PM

David, you got your answer right off the bat!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2019 09:14PM

Pretty much agree with Lynn that you've gotten great suggestions, and that following them will result in a very nice guide train. With that said, while I know it;s not needed on a casting rod, I prefer the more conventional 3 double foot guide reduction train that you see on most factory rods. I like it for a few reasons ..... 1) It just looks right to me, 2) The double foot guides are more stout than a single foot guide, and since they're going to be positioned in the lower third of the blank, I don't think that's a bad thing, and 3) they carry more height further down the blank, reducing the total number of guides that will be needed.

It won't save you any weight in the guide train. In fact it probably results in a heavier guide train. It probably won't save you any time because they have two feet and for me, wrapping the forward foot takes more time because of the direction you have to wrap it. And it's most likely less efficient. Knowing all of this, I still prefer the 3 double foot guides. I size 10 as the butt guide, followed by a size 8 and a size 6. Either LNs or KWs. I will say I just started using the KWs on casting rods and I am liking them quite a bit. Anyhow after that I go my running guides. I have used 4.5s and 5s as running guides. The eyes aren't what they used to be so I have used 5s for my last 3 builds.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 24, 2019 10:11PM

Dave,

I used one of the Mudhole Fuji guide kits on a build a couple of months ago. It was okay, but Norman is correct that Mudhole doesn't have the guides in the kit that Fuji recommends. The rod fished fine according to the recipient and he really likes it a lot, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd follow the Fuji guidelines on the Anglers Resource site and buy what you need as opposed to what is in the Mudhole kit. The Mudhole kit doesn't include any KB guides, and Fuji recommends at least 2 or 3. A couple of other things: when you stress test the rods, don't expect to see the same result as you would with a non-micro setup. Space the guides to follow the bend of the rod as you normally would, but don't be concerned if the line touches the blank. It likely will owing to the small guide frames, but don't allow it to go below the blank (per Jim Ising). You also would be wise to use a locking wrap on the KT runners. The feet on the KB's are larger so that isn't as much of an issue.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-143.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2019 08:50AM

Norman is the man. I like the RV 6 rout but I know a couple bass rod builders that use the KW 10 set up as Norman described on almost all their bass builds. I also really don't consider a 5 to be a micro guide but it is a small guide none-the -less.

Posted by: David Lee (158.71.78.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 11:14AM

Thanks everyone. I got my answer!

Posted by: David Lee (198.179.0.---)
Date: December 05, 2019 10:38AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would place the stripper about 20” in front of
> the reel. For the guides I would use KW10, KW5.5,
> KB5 (2 or 3), and KT5 (5 or 6). This would be the
> recommendation given by Fuji for a KR concept. If
> you want to spend more for the guides then you can
> use the RV6 for the stripper followed by either a
> KW5.5 or KB5.5. The RV6 only comes in a titanium
> frame, and is also recommended by Fuji as a
> stripper for a KR concept build. Both the KW10 and
> RV6 are of the proper height to help control the
> line coming off the reel. If the stripper is too
> low then there can be line slap on the blank.
> Norm
> PS - I personally don’t like the Mudhole KR
> guide kits, they do not use a Fuji recommended
> guide train. Fuji put a lot of research into KR
> concept, and it works extremely well.

Hi Norman,
Revisiting my old question. Say I got with 4.5 micro guides. Would this be the setup to use? RV6, KW5.5, KB5, KB/KT 4.5 or go straight from KW5.5 to 4.5.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster