I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracks in solid fibreglass rod
Posted by: Shaun Belcher (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: September 23, 2019 01:48AM

Im in the middle of restoring an old solid prestressed fibreglass rod and think ive done some damage while trying to remove the old roller tip.
Ive got some cracks showing at the tip of the rod.
I tried heating up the old roller top with a soldering iron and it seemed to be working, i could get some movement in the tip when twisting the tip off the rod, but it would not pull off.
I kept trying and did not think i was being overly hard when twisting the rod but i heard a little crack and took a look and could see what looks like cracks in the fibreglass.
They dont seem to be getting any worse and ive given the rod a fair bit of flexing at the end and they are not getting any worse.
see photo here, this is the worst crack [i.imgur.com]

Is there any resin i can apply that i can let soak in?
Im probably more worried about it from a cosmetic perspective, and this rod probably wont be getting a huge lot of use, but dont want it to get worse over time.

Any ideas would be great thanks.
Next time i think i will just cut the tops off with a grinding disc, but that presents problems too as its easy to cut into the fibreglass too.

Got a few vintage rods im wanting to rebuild and am going to have problems getting the tops off the others i expect also.

I measured the tip of the rod and its 6.35mm diameter which is 17/64" inches and i cant find a suitable top for this that size anyway, so perhaps i should just shorten the rod by an inch and the cracks will be covered by the top and the binding itself?
Is that going to be a big deal?
Im replacing all the guides so should not be a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2019 04:03AM by Shaun Belcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracks in solid fibreglass rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2019 08:11AM

Fiberglass doesn't like heat. You need to cut/split the tops off. You may have ruined that first rod. Nothing you can add to it now will restore it, although sold glass rods are pretty tough and it may still hold up for what you plan to do with it. Use don't heat and twist the tops on the rods you have left. Tiptops need to be pulled straight off and if a minor application of heat won't release the adhesive, split the top off.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 23, 2019 03:37PM

What is the diameter 1 inch below the tip. If there is no pronounced taper and the dimension is approximately the same then cut off the inch and install the tip.
It sounds like a very stiff rod so the effect on the rod would be minimum. Because you are redoing the guides then the spacing will all work its self out.

If the new tip is too loose then wrap a layer of wrap to snug it up.

I think you will be fine..

Have fun

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2019 06:06PM

I would just take some very slow curing thread finish. Apply a very thick coat to the tip of the rod down past the cracks by about 1-2 inches.
Then, with the finish still wet, co a full thread wrap starting at the tip of the blank and down to the area where the thread finish stops. Tie off the wrap, and then, just use some acetone to wipe off any residual thread finish that has poked up above the thread wraps. Let the finish cure on the tip wraps.

Then, when completing the build use a an appropriate tip top with the tube size that allows a nice fit over the top of the thread wrapped blank tip.

After the rest of the thread has had guides taped on a wrapped, use your favorite thread wrapping epoxy to coat all of the wraps, including the long tip wrap. When dry - go fishing and you will be good for a very long time.

--------------
As the tip top of the blank is wrapped with thread, the first applied thread finish will have worked its way down into the cracks to give some adhesion help as well as a binding adhesive for the tip top being wrapped.

Take care

Date: September 23, 2019 07:10PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fiberglass doesn't like heat. You need to
> cut/split the tops off. You may have ruined that
> first rod. Nothing you can add to it now will
> restore it, although sold glass rods are pretty
> tough and it may still hold up for what you plan
> to do with it. Use don't heat and twist the tops
> on the rods you have left. Tiptops need to be
> pulled straight off and if a minor application of
> heat won't release the adhesive, split the top
> off.
>
> ..............

OK, im not sure why so many people are saying you have to heat the tops to get it off. I thought I was doing it the right way!
I also see that alot of people are using a hot melt type of adhesive to fix these things to the rid and use a butane torch to heat the tip and melt glue inside and press the thing on while heating it.

I dont think i have done major damage to the rod, I think I will just have to make it a bit shorter. I dont see any such tip as a size #17 available anyway, so if i cut the rod about an inch shorter and go with a #18, I think I should be OK

I will wait for other suggestions before cutting it down, but I think that might be the best option. loosing 25mm / 1 inch is not a big deal.

Date: September 23, 2019 07:16PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
> What is the diameter 1 inch below the tip. If
> there is no pronounced taper and the dimension is
> approximately the same then cut off the inch and
> install the tip.
> It sounds like a very stiff rod so the effect on
> the rod would be minimum. Because you are redoing
> the guides then the spacing will all work its self
> out.
>
> If the new tip is too loose then wrap a layer of
> wrap to snug it up.
>
> I think you will be fine..
>
> Have fun
>
> John

I was looking at this last night.
Its about 6.5mm at the base of the old tip, and another 1 inch lower, its 6.8mm, so its only .03mm wider at that point, even then a #18 tip will be quite loose, so will probably have to pack it as you suggest.

Date: September 23, 2019 07:20PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> I would just take some very slow curing thread
> finish. Apply a very thick coat to the tip of the
> rod down past the cracks by about 1-2 inches.
> Then, with the finish still wet, co a full thread
> wrap starting at the tip of the blank and down to
> the area where the thread finish stops. Tie off
> the wrap, and then, just use some acetone to wipe
> off any residual thread finish that has poked up
> above the thread wraps. Let the finish cure on the
> tip wraps.
>
> Then, when completing the build use a an
> appropriate tip top with the tube size that allows
> a nice fit over the top of the thread wrapped
> blank tip.
>
> After the rest of the thread has had guides taped
> on a wrapped, use your favorite thread wrapping
> epoxy to coat all of the wraps, including the long
> tip wrap. When dry - go fishing and you will be
> good for a very long time.
>
> --------------
> As the tip top of the blank is wrapped with
> thread, the first applied thread finish will have
> worked its way down into the cracks to give some
> adhesion help as well as a binding adhesive for
> the tip top being wrapped.
>
> Take care

I was wondering if that might help, I was thinking dipping the rod in epoxy and gently twisting it to open the cracks up might be enough to allow a thin resin to penetrate.
What product would you recommend?
Im wanting to do another order from mudhole soon anyway. Ive got some permagloss, but is there anything better to coat the rods with? Im expecting an epoxy finish would be better than polyurethane anyway.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (165.225.48.---)
Date: September 24, 2019 08:31AM

The PG is the best to coat a blank. Epoxy is for thread wraps. Unless you live in Florida. (They like to coat entire rods in epoxy). The PG will remain clear as the epoxy will yellow and if the blank is anything other than black will have a non favorable look in a year or two

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 08:20PM

I would dip the end of the blank in Permagloss past the cracks about 3 times with a couple hours between applications, It should suck into the cracks and be as strong as anything you could hope for at this point. Once you have the tip on wrap over the affected area.

Date: September 25, 2019 09:57PM

Fred Yarmolowicz Wrote:
> The PG is the best to coat a blank. Epoxy is
> for thread wraps. Unless you live in Florida.
> (They like to coat entire rods in epoxy). The PG
> will remain clear as the epoxy will yellow and if
> the blank is anything other than black will have a
> non favorable look in a year or two

OK, thats good to know. I thought there was new types of epoxy nowdays that did not go yellow?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster