I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork seal peeling
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (192.40.59.---)
Date: September 18, 2019 11:24PM

Is there anything else that can be used to protect my cork handles because the cork seal on my rods tend to peel after being in the sun and fished for awhile.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork seal peeling
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 12:10AM

Glenn

What cork sealer are you using.

I think we need more information describing your problem.

I recommend U-40 cork seal and follow the directions. I use U-40 exclusively and never had any issues..

John

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 09:24AM

Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, minimum three hand rubbed coats.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:09AM

Have experienced no problems with either the U-40 product or Tru-Oil for fresh water rods. Have not used U-40 in several years preferring instead Tru-Oil for both aesthetics and ease of finish cleaning and repair. U-40 was a one application and done thing while Tru-Oil is a multiple application finish, usually about 8 to build depth.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 03:37PM

I second the usage of U-40 . No issues whatsoever with saltwater rod. Only one application, good to go.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 06:03PM

U40 cork seal should not peel unless you added a second coat! Instructions are "one coat!"

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: September 22, 2019 06:51PM

I used Thread Master lite on one fly rod grip . Looks good , tough and not slippery . To clarify , this was a 40 yr old flyrod that the cork was starting to crack and I wanted to keep the soil , dirt etc for nostalgia purposes . I still fish it now and then .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2019 07:00PM by ron zimmerman.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 22, 2019 07:39PM

Sorry off topic but, Glenn did you have any luck with issues you had getting Permagloss to dry?

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (192.40.59.---)
Date: September 22, 2019 11:43PM

My luck with Permagloss never did change and I live in Oregon and the weather is perfect for Permagloss to dry in as it is humid and rainy just about everyday so why it does not want to dry is beyond me. I have used at least 8 different bottle and from other sellers with the same bad luck ever time I try. Lynn if you remember back in the 80’s there was a article in the rod builders guild on Permagloss and dry time so if you remember it maybe you or somebody who does remember it can post some info on it.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2019 11:05AM

I live in Milwaukie, Or and never had a Permagloss problem, but never put it on cork.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-148.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2019 02:32PM

Kiwi neutral color paste shoe polish with carnauba wax. Apply about once a year, keeps cork from dry rotting and helps preserve it. I have cork that is over 30 years old that still looks good. I used to use mink oil but it had a funny smell. The Kiwi paste is not slippery after being wiped off and makes the cork have a nice feel.

Date: September 23, 2019 03:13PM

Sorry Glenn, never saw the article, my experience has always been that it dries a little too fast for my liking. Back to the original topic: I've always put Cork Seal on cork with great results.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2019 06:09PM

I never put any seal coat on cork.

Cork by its very nature is not very receptive to any sort of seal.

As needed, will use dish washing detergent to scrub down the grips, and as needed will use cork filler to fill any large pits that may need to be filled.

The handles stay very nice that way and have never been an issue for me - with no special seal on the cork.

Take care

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 01:56AM

To address your gloss problem... How are you applying it? Spinning? With a fkam brush? How thick? Is your mixing cup compatable? (I had a bunch of cups where the bottom melts after awhile.. Put plastic onto the blank.. What a mess)

For your cork seal, you may be puting to much on with the single coat.. I try and apply cork seal before i epoxy everything up, this way the edges are sealed as well.. Just dont go crazy... Leave room for adhesion

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2019 08:15AM

Anthony,
As you found out, some "hot" materials will melt almost anything.

When faced with such a situation, I go with glass.

i.e. glass jar, glass bowel, or glass seal on the top of the bottle.

Chemists do the same thing when working with "hot" materials and acids to avoid having the mixing container melt on them.

For storing DNA Xylene, Acetone, Lacquer thinner, I prefer to use glass bottles with glass stoppers.

[www.thomassci.com]

The glass containers hold the material nicely with out any melting or corrosion and the tapered glass stoppers do a very nice job of sealing the contents of the glass container, without having to worry about sticking or melting gaskets or corrosion in the case of a metal container and or metal top on the container.

Date: September 24, 2019 09:23PM

U-40 cork seal works great. Follow the instructions. It makes the cork easier to clean up when dirt accumulates over time. Follow the instructions.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 25, 2019 08:34AM

As I have previously posted I use Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil. As an example as how well it adheres and stands up, my favorite rod has caught over a thousand fish in the past six years and I recently "cleaned" up the cork grip with a light sanding and a couple of coats of Tru-oil. No filled in pits had fallen out. I find that the Tru-oil resists dirt and grease build up. Tru-oil is often used to coat restaurant bar tops.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (45.52.215.---)
Date: September 30, 2019 06:02PM

The Tru-oil sounds good I have used linseed oil before and it worked good.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster