I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater build?
Posted by: Richard Fanning (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 12:04PM

I have a request from a customer to build a saltwater spinning rod to be used for Cobia and Red Snapper offshore by oil rigs of the coast of Louisiana. They use up to 4oz weights and 30 lb braid. I haven't had any experience with saltwater builds and am looking for suggestions as far as blanks, grips, etc. Thank you in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater build?
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 12:10PM

Well, you left this topic pretty wide open :)
First you have to see how much the client is willing to spend. For a cheap build, I would go with a gator blank or an e-glass blank. The grips depend on the size of the blank. I am currently building on a 6'9" blank with a 14" rear grip and 6" foregrip. I am using a 20mm real seat. I haven't finalized the guides yet but I will probably go with 25, 2x20, 2x16 and prob a 10 then tiptop.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 12:20PM

The Rainshadow SW967 IS a great blank choice.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: September 18, 2019 03:09PM

Add the Rainshadow RCKJB series to check out. Full build recipes are available on Batson's website as well. One stop shopping.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2019 03:34PM

Hello Richard - Here is a link to a great line-up of MHX Saltwater Rod Blanks of various lengths. [www.mudhole.com] Blank ratings of 15 to 40 or 20 to 40 would work well. Gimbal, EVA Grips, Aluminum or Graphite Salt Seats and proper guides are all available at Mud Hole Custom Tackle. My e-mail is listed below if you would like to have help sorting all of the particulars. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 03:42PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 06:58PM

calfidhing.com has a vid of the SW967 being used for swimbaits in weights you may encounter fishing and a review.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:40AM

American Tackle MB73/15-30 . is great for cobia and all sorts of bottom fishing. Rubber gimbal, 12 inch rear grip, size 18 reel seat, and a 6 inch front grip. Pair it with a 5k or 6k shimano saragosa and let the memories begin.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Richard Fanning (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 12:35PM

Thanks so much for the response!

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2019 06:50AM

Blackhole 73mh charter special is a great Rod I’ve enjoyed fishing
Pairs well with 6k spinner

Would be good for Cobia

Rod geeks xc734 might be better for redsnapper

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster